Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Foamie + Pylon

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Foamie + Pylon

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:30 PM
eric278

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foamie + Pylon

After smashing my plane into the ground twice and only having a wing pop off once, and a servo strip the other time, I was thinking it was pretty darn robust for a foamie. Ithought, what could I do much worse than a vertical dive into the ground?

Well today, while taking off, the plane decided to hard right turn right below it's min. take off speed, where the nose wheel was just about off the ground but not enough to straighten (best way I can explain it, sorry). Upon cutting the throttle to get some weight back on it, it just kept going left, and a nice wooden 14" pylon, was sitting in the way. The throttle was cut but the plane had enough speed to..well, look at the pics.

So, after smashing into the ground twice with minor injuries, Imanaged to mangle the plane before even taking off.

Super glue, aluminum wire (to bend into staple shapes to "stitch" it back together to add some strength), and some foam putty, and I'll be back with some after pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95366.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1457572  
Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 AM
ByLoudDesign

Default RE: Foamie + Pylon

No bailing wire, LOL, I suppose it would be to heavy!!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Korps

Eric, sorry to hear about what happened. It's really not a nice feeling to see a plane go down that way...well it's never a nice feeling to see a plane go down for that matter.

I haven't flown in about two monts probably, if not longer ago. Life takes some unexpected turns sometimes. I just hope I don't put one in on the first day back...haven't had any sim time either during this passing time. Going back on the buddy with a friend just to get the feel again.

I have quick question. I remember from a previous thread you mentioned you bought a Skysurfer to start with - have you flown this and also mastered it before taking up the EDF?
Old 06-25-2010, 03:44 PM
eric278

Thanks for the kind words, Korps. It was a pretty big hit to my ego, not even getting off the ground like that, although I did have a laugh after. If there were people around to see it, I would have cried.

The Skysurfer was a whole other issue with banana hobby,order it, waited a week, inquired about the order, was told it would ship in 2 days, inquired in 2 days, was told it would ship in 5 days, inquired in 5 days, was told it would be out of stock for a month due to a motor problem and my order would be canceled...I pretty much gave up on BH at that point,

I did happen to connect with a local guy where I am that had a used skysurfer which he let me borrow, and gave me a little training at the same time. I flew it 5 or 6 times, got the hang of it pretty quick. I finally took out the F22, first flight was an almost crash from a confirmed servo seizure, second flight went great, had a few high school kids watching (did it from the high school field) and they had no idea it was my first time flying an EDF (so nervous my hands were shaking on the radio!), managed to stick the landing perfect. Second flight, did not master the downwind turn, self explanatory. Third flight, took a turn a little tight and went into a flat spin, landed (on its own accord) softly from the decel from the spin. Had a few flights after that that were great, some high wind ones, landing at 0 airspeed ...until this last attempt.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Korps

If one starts having problems getting a order to you - it's enough to frustrate anyone. Well I'm actually really glad that you had a couple of good flights with the plane...and I want to tell you well done on that since it being your "first" plane and all.