Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Toledo Special

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Toledo Special

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:03 AM
417mack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toledo Special

I am reluctant to post this but Owell. I had a depth perception problem on saterday, ran my Toledo Special right into the only tree within 500'. Luckily I was on final approch so it was a low speed impact with the oak the plane came out of the tree with heavy damage to the right wings leading edge, left wingtip and both wing bolt areas. The fuse was damaged where the wing dowel rods mount, this area was riped off and the bottom 2/3 of the way to the tail. The fuse. is repaired except for the windshield and windows. I am happy wiyh the ease of repare of this Hanger 9 plane most of the glue joints and splices held, the firewall held and the landing gear is fine. I hope to have the wings fixed by next weekend as I am ready to fly her again. I wish I would have taken pics before I started but was so discusted with myself I did not think to. I am not very good at covering so do not want to post after pics ether. All in all I think the Toledo is a fairly rugged plane to have come through this without being a complete loss.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 AM
417mack

Default RE: Toledo Special

I thought I would post some pics of the wing rebuild but cant seem to, is there a tutorial on posting pics somewhere. Also the LHS did not have any monocoat that maches the colors of the Toledo very well I am most conserened with the blue but would like to return to the original colors some day.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:54 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After you post a message, if you look at the bottom of the screen, it will let you upload photos. It seems like you have to post the message first, though, then edit it to add the photos.

The menus will walk you through the actual upload.

Bob
Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 PM
417mack

The rebuild is comming along well some sanding ant still have to fix the wingbolt area onthe left wing. I should be ready to cover soon. Still looking for a match for the colors.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:58 PM
417mack

First two flights after crash went well. She is not quite as pretty as before but flyes the same now looks like a daily beater if the weather holds out tomarrow I will ring it out a bit more tonight was like a maiden flight to me.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:27 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to hear the news.... Glad that it's back in the air. Maybe over the winter you can do a recover job, just for fun.

Bob
Old 09-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Villa

Hi 417mack
You mention that your depth perception failed you. Why don't you Google depth perception and post what you learn. Depth perception had nothing to do with it.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 AM
417mack

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi 417mack
You mention that your depth perception failed you. Why don't you Google depth perception and post what you learn. Depth perception had nothing to do with it.
I guess I should have discribed what went wrong differently so for you I will I THOUGHTTHEPLANEWASCLOSERTHANITWASANDWHENITDISSAPEA REDBEHINDTHETREEITWASTOLATE Maby that I misjudged thatthird demision a little which is exactly what I ment in the post I hope this clears this up for you. Now maby you could offer some help to match the hanger 9 colors of the bird.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Villa

Many R/C fliers believe that their depth perception works for hundreds of feet, and will not believe that our human binocular vision is good for only about 17 feet. At a few hundred feet, we humans cannot tell what item is closer or further away. All we can do is give obstructions plenty of room. Come over obstructions very high. Try to touch down right in front of you. That is the only time you know where the plane is relative to the runway, and more important, know it is at a safe air speed. Lots of practice will get you there. I normally would not answer you since you chose to go with little respect. I hope I am not mistaken in this exception.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 PM
417mack

Villa, I answered the way I did not out of a lack of respect but did not like what I thought you were implying, maby I tookj it a little personal.  I know it is hard enough for two strangers to communicate standing next to each other mutch less 900 miles apart. I used the term depth perception as a short explnation for what happened. I have had many sucessful flights on this same pattern at the same field mostly in the evening , the mishap happened at12:30 I wanted a long low glide in and made it a little to long, a mistake I will try not to make again I think the sun directly over head and the cooler temp giving the engine more power helped me make this mishap but maby not. I realize what you are saying about binocular vision but I can judge yardage pretty well out to 600 yrds +/- 10 and much farther if there are objects withen the plane to work the distance out I know this because I have compared my estimations with the known trajectory ao a 22-250 in northwestern Texas with good results. With a plane there is only open sky but the tree in question is not that far maby 350 yrds.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Villa

Hi 417mack
The problem is that most R/C fliers do not realize how blind they are when flying their plane. Let's refer to that tree at 350 yards from you. If your plane is flying from your left to your right, near the tree, will you pass the tree in front or behind the tree, or hit the tree. There is no physical way for you to know that. You have to proof this to yourself. Mark a spot 350 yards away from you and try to land on it, approaching it from various angles. With practice you can get better, but if you then change the angle of approach, or the wind changes in intensity and/or direction, you will be lost again. An additional problem is keeping the plane above stall speed during the landing. Changing the angle of approach relative to the runway and/or wind direction and/or intensity can put you in a surprised stall. I have had many hundreds of crashes and have always tried to figure out the reason.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
417mack

I agree compleatly my propblem was not compleatly a vision problem but several misjudgements combined and I will probably do this again but not in the same spot and hopefully not the  same circumstances and ofcorse not when there is a chance to damage life or property.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Carlos G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi 417Mack,

Covering for the Toledo Special along with parts and pieces can be found on Hangar 9's web site. The covering is Creme, PN HANU878 and Sky Blue PN HANU875. I have to have inherited a crashed Toledo Special and am in the process of making repairs.

Good luck with your plane!

Best Regards
Carlos G.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:37 PM
417mack

Thank you Carlos I found the part # while looking for a new windshield. I think I will recover it This winter.  After several flights it seems fine but is a bit heaver.