RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Great Planes Revolver 70 Rebuild!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/11638912-great-planes-revolver-70-rebuild.html)

el_xero 05-16-2017 05:38 PM

Lets hinge it up!

24 Attachment(s)
Some shots of the robart hinge job. It wasn't super great but it worked like it should have. Though I do have one a tiny bit loose now. aaaanyway.

el_xero 05-16-2017 05:49 PM

Servos and horns?

52 Attachment(s)
I'm not using the XQ Power servos displayed here anymore. Those had to be send back, rather, I used Hitech's but these pics detail my install process. I took some tips from others in other posts and applied them here. Also The control horns pictured aren't the final ones used in my setup. I didn't trust these for anything other than pull.. I couldn't get my self to feel confortable using them in a push configuration so I wen't with more traditional horns. I'll upload pics of those later on.

el_xero 05-16-2017 06:02 PM

Ignition

30 Attachment(s)
Did up a hack job for my ignition. I tried using a micro servo thinking I would save weight? The thing burnt up after literally one run so I ended up using a regular servo, I didn't go for those fancy opto kill switches etc...
Maybe later I'll go for that who knows.

el_xero 05-16-2017 06:14 PM

Covering Finally!

80 Attachment(s)
Alright! So it's almost time for the home run! Lets cover it all up! New paint scheme as you've likely already gathered I'm ripping off the scheme fromt he 50cc revolver and I'm not in the least bit ashamed of it ha :D

el_xero 05-16-2017 06:26 PM

A bit of setting up?

64 Attachment(s)
Almost just nearly there. Here's a teeny bit of setting up.

el_xero 05-16-2017 06:35 PM

Ready to fly!

11 Attachment(s)
That's it folks! All done and ready to fly. I'm sorry I don't have many still's left of the plane for posing time. However I do have some flight videos.
Next up, I'll be editing those and uploading. I'll post links of those flights soon as I can hopefully by the end of this week.
I hope everyone enjoyed this journey. I know it was a lot of pics and chatter. Hopefully it was worth it for you all.
Have a great week and thanks for checking out my thread.

el_xero 05-16-2017 10:36 PM

Flight Videos

Well I can't sleep so decided to edit some videos.
Not sure if this is the remaiden or not but here's something to look at. Apologies for the quality guys. It can't be helped

el_xero 05-16-2017 10:56 PM

Flight video 2

Here's one more andd a third one on the way

el_xero 05-16-2017 11:37 PM

Video 3

Here's the last one for tonight. Broken xoar. Better the prop than the plane right? haha
I think I have maybe two more videos to upload. Maybe tomorrow. Till next time guys.

jescardin 05-25-2017 12:17 AM

Inspiring great job!

Congrats for the rebuilt.

Best Regards

el_xero 05-28-2017 04:15 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by jescardin (Post 12339199)
Inspiring great job!

Congrats for the rebuilt.

Best Regards

Thanks, I only did minimal work though mostly the wing and the canopy. The heavy lifting was done by a friend and mentor.
I'm glad you enjoyed the thread thanks for checking it out.

cjbotox 10-03-2017 02:35 PM

Absolutely AWESOME - both labor and finish. Back in the day when I started in RC (1988) we ALWAYS repaired our planes no matter how wiped out they were. We also built ALL of them, some from scratch. This is a very good thread and I congratulate you and your friend for this inspirational labor of love. Nowadays it's too easy to just throw away the wreckage and grab a new one. I had to rebuild the front engine mount compartment on my R70 and now I'm looking for a kit to build something!

BTW - how did you fair through Irma?

John

el_xero 10-08-2017 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by cjbotox (Post 12372715)
Absolutely AWESOME - both labor and finish. Back in the day when I started in RC (1988) we ALWAYS repaired our planes no matter how wiped out they were. We also built ALL of them, some from scratch. This is a very good thread and I congratulate you and your friend for this inspirational labor of love. Nowadays it's too easy to just throw away the wreckage and grab a new one. I had to rebuild the front engine mount compartment on my R70 and now I'm looking for a kit to build something!

BTW - how did you fair through Irma?

John

Hi John Thanks so much for the support man :D really appreciate it! Sorry that I'm so late in replying I've not been on RCU in a while. Over here we mostly have to repair out planes and such because getting stuff over here is just insanely expensive. Think of the cost and then just multiply by 5 that's what we'd pay in our currency for stuff we import over here but as you said It's about the love for all things RC and building so much as it's work we keep at it and rebuild when we have to :D Thanks for checking out the thread, It took me forever to get around to put it up and when I finally got a high speed connection I just went for it! I'm glad you enjoyed it! How's your flying going? Do you have any posts I can check out?
We're doing great over here Irma didn't hit us but a few of the other islands aren't looking great at all :(

cjbotox 10-10-2017 05:40 AM

I don't know if you remember me from over on the other thread 'Larger Revolver' trying out the Hobby Eagle gyro (under cjbotox). Somewhere I happened to find reference to your rebuild thread here, and read through it. Very interesting and inspiring to me as I am getting back to kit and scratch building. My Revolver is still flying, albeit changed in appearance and weight. I'm loosing interest in it because I've had to fix more bugs in this plane then all the others put together. One of my flying buddies lives on a small lake and float flying is getting the best of us.

I'll be keeping in touch...

John

el_xero 10-10-2017 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by cjbotox (Post 12374202)
I don't know if you remember me from over on the other thread 'Larger Revolver' trying out the Hobby Eagle gyro (under cjbotox). Somewhere I happened to find reference to your rebuild thread here, and read through it. Very interesting and inspiring to me as I am getting back to kit and scratch building. My Revolver is still flying, albeit changed in appearance and weight. I'm loosing interest in it because I've had to fix more bugs in this plane then all the others put together. One of my flying buddies lives on a small lake and float flying is getting the best of us.

I'll be keeping in touch...

John

Hi again :D

It's been a while since I scanned through the other larger revolver thread. I think I'll have go jump back on and give it a read again. I'm sure to remember you once I do :)
Floats!!!! I envy you! I'd love to try that some time! Be sure to document and start a thread or feel free to upload stuff on here if you like. I really don't mind.
I'd love to get into scratch building some day, No time these days not to mention the materials. I'd try to copy this revolver and make some changes for sure!

I don't blame you for moving on to an other bird.
For me though this is literally the nicest looking one I've ever owned (I'm also partial to my GP dazzler which I recently gave away *quite the looker that one ha*) but I want to move out of glow and do strictly bigger gas planes. It think the biggest I'm going to go is 30cc ....some day ha.
Speaking of the Dazzler, if you're interested you can find the build thread right here (she's really pretty if I do say so my self!)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...first-kit.html

Let me know what you think!

Oh snap! You said gyro! You're the dude who put the gyro on the revolver?!!!
Yes yes I remember that post! haha
I've definitely got to go back and read that thread again!