Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

8mm too DVD conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 04:01 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 8mm too DVD conversion

What would I need to buy to convert 8mm Sony tapes to DVD. Is there more than one way this can be done? Thanks John
Old 06-24-2012, 04:05 PM
OzyDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 8mm too DVD conversion

Do you have a DVDrecorder? Plug your camera in to the inputs and record to a DVD as you run the playback from your camera.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 AM
captinjohn

My computer will burn a DVD....but I do not know how to connect my camcorder to it. I guess I need a video capture device. Maybe like the ones on ebay??? What do you think? Thanks Capt,n

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...evice&_sacat=0
Old 06-28-2012, 01:43 PM
OzyDave

Yes John. One of those will enable you to connect your camcorder to your PC. Then with the software you will get with the device you can create a file on the computer which you can then burn to DVD.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 PM
captinjohn

Dave, thanks for the reply...looks like I will try one of the many listed on ebay. Just got too decide ...what one ! Best Regards Capt,n
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 PM
OzyDave

You could just try a local retailer in your area so you know you can get after sdales service and exchange if it is faulty. Just let them know what price they are competing with. I'm sure they all work though.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Sony 8mm recorder and I transfer files directly from the camcorder to my computer without a video capture card. I tried using a USB cable but Sony has not updated the drivers for Windows 7 so I got a Firewire card and it works great. I have been using the Firewire cable for several months and have had no problems get the video files from the camcorder to my computer.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:15 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Lightfoot

I have a Sony 8mm recorder and I transfer files directly from the camcorder to my computer without a video capture card. I tried using a USB cable but Sony has not updated the drivers for Windows 7 so I got a Firewire card and it works great. I have been using the Firewire cable for several months and have had no problems get the video files from the camcorder to my computer.
I just looked at some Firewire cards online and I see no round RCA sockets for the video cables to plug into. Wish some person could post a phototo show how this all hooks up. Thanks Capt,n
Old 08-11-2012, 05:49 PM
captinjohn

2-3 months and no reply yet about the Firewire card. Is anyone reading this thread. Capt,n
Old 09-12-2012, 04:49 PM
AH-64_d

OzyDave suggested use of a DVD recorder as one way to move your video from 8 mm tape to DVD. Lightfoot suggested a firewire card. Which route you choose depends on what you want to do with the transferred video. Most DVR units have RCA, S-video, and perhaps HD inputs. As OzyDave told you, you only have to play your tape back on your camera after connecting the camera to a DVR to obtain a DVD of the tape. However, the recording on the DVD will be in a format that you may not be able to edit. If you want to edit the video on your tapes, a video capture widget and appropriate software will be required. SONY Hi-8 cameras had RCA and S-video outputs. SONY mini-DV cameras had firewire output. If your camera is 8 mm or Hi-8, a firewire card will not do you much good. You will have to choose video conversion hardware that is compatible with your camera. There are all sorts of widgets that will accept RCA input because there are a lot of people with old VHS tapes who want to transfer their videos to DVD. Examine your camera and read its manual. SONY was pretty good about providing ways to transfer video. Once you understand what is required, you should be able to buy a widget to obtain editable video for less than $100. If you prefer idiot proof with no editing, buy a DVR. They are very easy to use.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:42 PM
captinjohn

Hey, thanks for the reply....I was looking at a PhilipsVideo Recorder...they any good? About $160 at most places. Best regards, Capt,n
Old 09-14-2012, 04:08 PM
AH-64_d

I have no experience with that model Philips. My DVR is a Toshiba DR430.