Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

Need Your Help Getting New Camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 05:53 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Your Help Getting New Camera

OK, here is the deal. I take a lot digital pics and like sending them to friends; but know little about the cameras. I'm looking for a digital still camera that takes very high quality pictures. I already have a nice video camera, now need a got still. Here is what I am looking for.

1. Very high quality pictures (most important feature).
2. No added fancy features required.
3. Ability to attach telehoto and wideangle lens or zoom capability that will do the same.
4. Flash capability (built in or attachable).
5. Hopefully $350 or less.

Make and model please. thanks
Old 09-05-2005, 01:03 AM
RCFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Your Help Getting New Camera

Splais
I,m using a Kodak DX7590 5 meg pix. with a 10X optical zoom.

It's simular to a SLR camera, when you look through the view finder
you are seeing what the lens sees.
Also has a built in flash.

You can get adapters to add filters or lenes to the camera lens.
Zoom is from 38 to 380 mm (Equivalent to a 35 mm SLR flim camera).

The cost $398; Wal Mart might have this camera, also to see more features go to www.Kodak.com
Too many to list here.

I looked at lot of cameras, and for the price I bought this one.

I realy like it, and easy to use.

Hope this helps

Clarence
Old 09-06-2005, 12:07 AM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Tall Order with those specs and this low of a budget.

1) Most camers - whether you like it or not - will add tons of features
* that's their hook

2) SLR - The dollar sign will add up quickly

3) Most camers will have a built in flash

Let me look around a bit and I'll see what I can find for you

FACT: If you wabt to maintain what "takes very high quality pictures"
you will need to be shooting with a camera that has a minimum of 5MP

If you don't, the BLACH areas will not print out very well.

If you do NOT want to print - then you can get away with an older unit

You might want to even considar buying a used unit

I have a SONY 2.1 MP - non SLR but lots of nice fetures AND is still working well after 6 years of service - Oh yea, it's not for sale LOL

Go on-line and look around by brand - see what you find

good luck

marwen
Old 09-06-2005, 12:22 PM
splais

I just realized that all the lens on my Canon Eos probably will fit a new Canon Digital EOS Body. but it looks like that option will still cost around $400. But since I already have lens, it may be my best bet and will get me a 6-8 MP camera. I do like that kodak and can get it within my price range.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:27 AM
splais

After much more reading I am adjusting my question as follows if anyone would like to post.

I am trying to make a digital still camera decision and the more I read the more complicated it gets. Basically, I want to get the best camera I can and pay nothing for it. Well you get the picture.

My primary interest is to be able to take the highest quality digital pictures I can just in case I want to blow them up. I also need to be able to take pictures that are of planes far enough away to require zoom and closeups that may require a wide angle lens to get everything in.

One thing that impacts on this is the fact that I currently have a Canon EOS650 film camera with three Canon EF lens (100-300 telphoto, 55mm std and a 28mm wide angle I think). From my research it would cost me about $600-$800 to buy just a Canon EOS digital body that will accept the lens I have. But it appears I would end up with a very high end setup compared to some of my other considerations.

Things like how much zoom and image stabilzation are confusing me. but I am looking at two cameras other than going to EOS route. The Kodak DX7590 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ15.

I really like the Photo Dock capability to just stick the camera on a box and make a print. I have not been able to find out if the Lumix has the same accessory. On the other hand I think that the image stabilization on the Panasonic would be nice for all my at the RC field, and out on the lake fishing and boating pics.

Anyway, I would like anyones opinion on the three options, or maybe it’s just two – the Canon EOS route or pick between the Kodak or Panasonic.

Thanks, Steve
Old 09-07-2005, 06:37 PM
marwen1

You know. I really HATE to make reports like this, but, it all comes back down to the old saying - You get whay you pay for" Now, that beng the case, please don't let me dicourage you. Yep! This here digital stuff ain't for the faint of heart - ket alone the pocket book! The more you read - the more you get confused. There a LOT to learn! Ya just have to keep at it.

Please --- try two different approaches; 1) keep on learing - 2) apply what you learn - and got to a pawn shop. I have found awesome deals there. Moist of the time 'cause the pawnshop owner had no idea what he had, & 3) try eBay.

Ihave a 70mm -210mm NIKON AF lense. UNLESS you have a HUGE RC aicraft, and it isn't too far away, you can get some great results.

Keep one thing in mind thouigh - what satisfies you may not satisfy someone else witht your end results. JUST FON'T BE TOO FAR AWAY when you shoot in image of something 36- 48" WS

Best of luck to you. I'm sure with your perseverence - you'll come up with something great

marwen
Old 09-07-2005, 07:53 PM
splais

I fly everything from .40 size up to 35% gassers. I also am looking into all kinds of places (pawn shop, ebay, internet, etc). I have also upped my ante to $500 or less. I finally got to a store were I could actually looked at some real cameras.

I've eliminated the DX7590. A real nice camera, but after seeing the Kodak DCM-FZ20 and the Sony DSC-H1, well they are just better cameras I think. I also think the EOS route is just more camera than I will need. that's a shame since I have about $1800 worth of Canon EOS stuff. Plus it's size is a factor.

So of all the stuff I have looked at the following three cameras seem to be what I amy want. Actually I don't think there is a peas bit of difference between them except that the P850 does not have image stabilization. So now I am looking at the

Panasonic DCM-FZ20
Sony DSC-H1
Kodak P850 (maybe)

The one thing I don't understand is how some of these companies have about 30 cameras that all seem the same When I went to a sony site I just said the heck with it after seeing about 50 digital cameras.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:50 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

The Panasonic Lumix cameras are a good value for the money.
I purchased the FZ-15 and haven't looked back since.
The image stabilization works well. I can shoot with 12X Optical on a bright day without a tripod. Lots of extras you will probably never use.
If you need the sound with movie mode, and a hot shoe for flash get the FZ-20.

Greg
Old 09-14-2005, 10:52 AM
leidomla

Hi.

I have also came up with the same list as I am also planning to buy a new digital camera.

You should try visiting www.dpreview.com and www.dcresource.com for their reviews on FZ20 and H1.
They really make very good reviews.

BTW, P850 has image stabilization.

Of the three, Kodak P850 has the advantage in terms of features.
- JPG/RAW/TIFF, 2.5 LCD, OIS, 12x zoom, hybrid AF (for low light condition), High-res movie, hot shoe for flash, SD(cheaper vs Sony MemoryStick).
If it performs well in the review then I'll be buying this one.
I guess you should wait for the review as well.

H1 is quite comparable to P850 less RAW/TIFF and hot shoe, plus AF Illuminator and very good image color.
I was supposed to buy this but when my brother wanted to buy a good camera I recommended H1 over Canon S2 IS.
He is actually enjoying the H1.

FZ20 on the otherhand is having some problems in noise though it has RAW/TIFF and hot shoe.

Neil
Old 09-14-2005, 09:27 PM
splais

Well I made my decision and for me it wasn't even close. I finally got to see the Kodak 7590, Canon S2 and Sony H1 all at the same place. I had also considered the P850. but it is just to new and not enough availalbe on it yet.

The S2 was eliminated in 10 seconds with that crappy little screen. The DX7590 and FZ15 just didn't match what the Sony had and could do.

So what about my H1? LOVE IT! it takes awesome pictures from 2" to infinite 12X. I got a 1G memory chip and 2500 mah batteries off ebay. It runs forever on the batteries and they are not propriatary. It is everything I will ever need for my RC airplane and other outdoor sports activities.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:55 AM
marwen1

One last "heads-up" is to watch is the operation of a lithium type battery in the COLD.

A while back, I had occaision to do some outdoor shots in the dead of winter, The sernice of the battery - with a FULL charge -=- went fromm 100% to zero in less than 2 minutes. YUK!

marwen