Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

How do I get started???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:37 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How do I get started???

I know that's a dumb question, but maybe I have the concepts wrong.

I wanted to patch together a few film clips. For example, using Premier Elements 3, I marked the begining and end of some film segments in a couple of film clips that I had. I expected the unwanted film clips to be chopped off, much the same way as one would crop a still image. Then it would be just a matter of assembling them in the desired order. Guess I was wrong.

The software doesn't seem that complicated, but I'm missing something basic in my thought process about how to do this.

Thanks for any pointers/links that you can shed on this,

Bob
Old 12-17-2008, 01:48 PM
sentimental_fool65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do I get started???

N1EDM,
I've found when it comes to dealing with a lot of this stuff the only stupid question is the one you don't ask
I'm not really familiar with the program you are using, but if it's anything like the couple I have messed around with the main thing you have to end up doing is upload the video the computer, then whenever you crop a piece, you need to save it as a different file. Then after you have all the parts you want, then you go back and start stitching them together.
There are a couple people here that just do all the cropping and editing with their movie camera, and then go in and mess with the computer program, another guy just does his with a vcr or dvd burner on his TV, and then when he's finished he just rips the finished product onto his computer.
I don't know if that helps at all, but hopefully it might give you something to try and least until one of the people here that is an expert on this stuff can get back with you.
Take care and hope you have a Merry Christmas
Old 12-17-2008, 08:32 PM
N1EDM

Thanks... well, if I read you right, then I would take a video segment and 'chop' scenes out of it (perhaps several out of the same original segment) and then I'd save each segment as its own unique file.

That's the type of info that I'm looking for, not asking for how to operate Premier Elements... I'll figure that all out. I'm asking even more basic questions, like, what do I have to do to get started. You just answered one of the big questions.

I'll find a way to chop up those videos. I can select the start and stop of the scenes that I want to keep, but the unwanted video just seems to stay, doesn't get deleted. That's where my confusion is setting in.

Thanks for a start,

Bob
Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 AM
sentimental_fool65

Bob,
Glad it helped some. I'm not sure if I am understanding the part about the not deleting but see if this helps.
When you choose the part of the video you want, then go to your save as area in the program you are using, Always you "save as" if it's like my program or you will erase everything else LOL.
Anyway click "save as" after you have chosen the portion of video you want, then give it a name, I usually give mine a name such as 3d routine 1, then the next segment do the same thing pick it out then "save as" again ex. 3d routine 2.
The reason I name them that way is so I know in what order I want to reassemble the portions, and the main name tells me what it is in case I'm working on something else.
LOL Plus getting older and my memory isn't as good as it used to be LOL

Hope that helps,
Jim
Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 PM
N1EDM

Hi Jim, thanks. I understand what you're saying about the 'save as' routine. What I was so badly saying before was that after I had picked out the portion(s) of the video that I wanted to keep, I always thought that the unwanted portions would be discarded, the same way that the area outside a 'crop' box is discarded on a still photo. Mine don't seem to be doing that.

It's going to be snowing (you've probably read about that stuff somewhere, I'll bet) up here this weekend, so maybe I'll have a chance to fool around with it and see if I'm using the right sequence of actions to save my file or not.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 12-19-2008, 11:09 AM
sentimental_fool65

Bob,
Now that I look back you did a fine job of explaining it, I just was having trouble rapping my brain around it for some reason LOL

SNOW!! I haven't see that stuff for years, I miss having white Christmas's, but I don't miss all the other people not knowing how to drive in it LOL
Be safe there and enjoy, here its suppose to get up to 75, the bad thing is Monday it's suppose to be 22. The temps change fast here, ideal for making you sick LOL.

Alright, back to the matter at hand. The programs I've used when I've cut a piece of video have always removed the sections I didn't select, so I'm not sure I can help you with that one. My best guess for that would be either trying the program help under clipping or editing video, or see of the programs website has a forum section. There was a program I had a few years back that something weird was going on with and was really frustrating, I think it was syncing music to the pictures and video. Anyway after deleting the program I ran into a guy that did the stuff for a living and he told me that the program had a bug and all you had to do was go to the website and update the patch LOL...

Do you do a lot of photography?
I used to do it professionally as a side job to my regular work, but then ended up pretty much just doing it for the enjoyment after I had my stroke. Now I pretty much just try to break even on photo-shoots, or if someone wants to tip a bit that's even better LOL.

We just found out the Blue Angels and Black Knights are going to be headlining an airshow here in April, I was hoping to photograph it from a friends business's roof, they own the only air-service at the airport big enough to handle Fat Albert, and have the military contract there, but they just told us the business will have to be evacuated before they do their show except for enough personnel so the business can function.

Keep me posted on how everything goes with the video, I'm hoping to start back doing some video shoots before too much longer of some RC events, but I need to get a better Vid Camera first.......(something hard to justify the expense where there are so many airplanes out there to buy LOL)
Take Care and talk soon,
Jim
Old 12-20-2008, 06:13 PM
N1EDM

Thanks, Jim. I'll keep you posted. As far as photography, I'm an amateur photographer, that's all. I like to think that I've developed a bit of an eye over the years, but I'm still only at the Intermediate level. My wife and my brother both have 'the eye' much better than I do. I use a Canon PowerShot. That has more functions than a top of the line digital camera had 3 years ago. Takes great shots.

I'll let you know how things work out. Thanks for the words of advice.

Bob
Old 01-08-2009, 10:42 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use Adobe Premiere (Full version) and if they are the same, use the razor blade tool to "Cut" the clip where you want, the select the part of the clip you DON'T want and hit the "Delete" button on the keyboard
Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 PM
N1EDM

Thanks, Mike. I'll give that a try! I appreciate it.

Bob