Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

Digital Camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:56 PM
sarg96
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Camera

I have been using a Panasonic Optio S4I and a Fuji 4800zoom for about 14 months. Prior to this
I used Canon 35mm cameras for my work. I am now ready to purchase a good digital and have
narrowed my search to the following three choices:
Canon Digital Rebel XSI, Nikon D-80 and Fuji Finepix S100FS
Anyone with experience with either of these please respond and give your honest opinion as I
am only buying one of the three.

sarg96
Old 01-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Digital Camera

I have, and use quite a bit, the Rebel XTi (2 1/2 years old) 8 Megapixel. I have the kit lens and a 70-300 EF Telephoto. I say, if you have Canon lenses from the film days, go with the Canon camera body. Nearly all of the film lenses are compatable with it. Some say go for a full size sensor, but I kind of like the 1.6 conversion factor. It makes my 300mm effectively a 480mm lens. The only upgrade I would make now, might be image stabilization on my lens. It's hard to shoot long without camera shake even with a fast shutter, but the worst part is the "AF" constantly searching. I think the "IS" would help to cure the "AF" search. I've held, and done a few test shots with the Nikon and I don't see a great deal of difference between it and Canon. It usually comes down to personal preference, and like I said if you already have Canon lenses, stick with Canon.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:25 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not familiar with Fuji's high-end cameras, but I do have one of their 2800z's and if you have a 4800z, you know they they give you a lot for a good price.

I recently switched to a Cannon Rebel XTi and I love it. Easy to use, excellent picture quality and a great assortment of lenses from Canon and third parties. I mostly use a Sigma 28-300mm and it covers just about every shooting situation. All of my RCU Event coverage is shot with it.

My Partner Ken uses a Nikon (Not sure which model, but I am waiting his reply)

If you look at this article:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1026

All of the Heli pics were shot with my Canon and all of the airplane pics were shot with Ken's Nikon
Old 01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the Nikon D-60 camera. As Mike pointed out, all the pictures of planes were taken with the camera and a Nikor 55-200mm lense. I don't remember if the D-80 is in the same class as the D-60, but there is just one downside for the D-60. The autofocus motor is on the lense itself, and not in the camera body. This means you have to buy camera lenses designed for that body. This isn't too bad as most of the major lenses makers are putting out lenses for the body.

I really like the Nikon as it definitely makes me look a lot better than I really am!! If you shop Amazon you can find bundled packages that have two lenses, extra batteries, cases, and other "extras".

Ken
Old 01-16-2009, 04:12 PM
The PIPE

Dear Sarg96:

The PIPE Here...after a long, LONG absence !

Looks like you've had experience with a so-called "P & S", or "point-&-shoot", digital camera or two already, so, where you've got Canon film lenses in your collection, sticking with the Canon brand would be your most logical choice.

I got my initial digital camera experience with an Olympus C770 point & shoot camera, but since I've had a Pentax K1000SE "film burner" SLR camera for almost thirty years now, back in 2007, when I was still working (I've been laid off from my full time CAD job for four months now) I got myself a six megapixel Pentax K100D digital camera "kit" to use my stock of Pentax film lenses with...

...and, from the results I got with my Vivitar Series One 70-210mm "Pentax K-mount" all-manual zoom lens, viewable at http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...0mm-k100d.html , I'd say that I've started to get the same sort of photos I've gotten with my old "film burner" in the past, and now much more recently, with the K100D.

A few of my Pentax K1000SE film-shot vintage photos of Old Rhinebeck's aircraft can be found at a photo gallery of their Royal Aircraft factory F.E.8 pusher fighter reproduction, namely at http://www.colepalen.com/AircraftAlbums-FE8.html , as photos numbers 3 through 5 at that page, and one of their first repro Sopwith Camel, at http://www.colepalen.com/AircraftAlb...withCamel.html as photo no. 12.

By the way, my German Email buddy, Jens Klank, an antique aviation shutterbug if you've ever seen one, uses Canon gear as I'm guessing you'll be doing...his main website at http://www.biplanes.de/index_eng.php (for the English language homepage) is FULL of the photo work from both himself and his brother Alex...and apparently all shot with Canon digital cameras.

Jens has a good number of my Pentax K1000SE film-shot Old Rhinebeck AVRO 504 reproduction photos at his tribute page to his favorite WW I aviation design, at http://www.biplanes.de/bilderserien/ora_avro/index.php ...and one of the photos there, at http://www.biplanes.de/bilderserien/..._big.php?id=14 , is one I RE-shot with my K100D digital in 2007...and quite MAGNIFICENTLY re-shot, as well...

...but when my home PC's twin 36 GB SCSI hard disks got SICK just a few days before Halloween 2008, it became inaccessible, and I'm going to have to do a data recovery session in a few months (when I can afford it) to be able to access it once more.

Just wishing you luck with your future Canon digital SLR (and check out Jens' photos of his "Barnstormer's BBQ" events he's held in Germany in the recent past, ALL shot with Canon digitals)...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:07 PM
sarg96

Staying with Canon seems like the ideal solution since I have a full compliment of lens,
however, my lens are all FD mounts and the Rebel uses the EF-S mount. Has anyone had
experience with the adapter and what if any problems it causes??

sarg96
Old 01-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sarg96

Staying with Canon seems like the ideal solution since I have a full compliment of lens,
however, my lens are all FD mounts and the Rebel uses the EF-S mount. Has anyone had
experience with the adapter and what if any problems it causes??

sarg96
Sorry, can't help you with that one. However, if you go to Photo.net you might get some answers.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 AM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Try this web site.

Has lots of info on all types of cameras and equipment.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
Old 01-17-2009, 11:03 AM
The PIPE

Dear Sarg96:

The PIPE here once again...from a moment ago when I "googled" for the search terms "Canon FD lenses on digital SLR", which came up at http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...on+digital+SLR , you MIGHT want to read up on the Canon FD lens usage challenges for Canon EOS-family digital SLRs (like my German buddy Jens Klank has done previously)...

at http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=57023 is a good Canon forum thread to check out, on your potential lens/Canon DSLR body situation,

and at http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/ you've got an entire INTERNET FORUM dedicated to Canon EOS digital SLRs, that you could join up on, where I'd bet you'd find QUITE a bit of help for your possible situation.

The forum I'm a member of, at http://www.pentaxforums.com/ , HAS been helpful in getting me started with my Pentax K100D...

...and I'm hoping any of the Canon DSLR forums you could find (in addition to the two I've linked to here already) SHOULD help you out with your situation...!!!

Best of luck in finding some info on using your collection of Canon FD lenses on the EOS Canon DSLR camera bodies...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-17-2009, 12:52 PM
sarg96

Thanks for those two links, found the information I was searching for and have made the decision
to buy EF-S lens with the new EOS camera and leave the FD lens in the bag with all 35mm equipment.
Again, thanks a million.

sarg96
Old 02-01-2009, 05:18 PM
sarg96

Moved
Old 02-28-2009, 05:47 PM
padoni
My Feedback: (2)

The Pipe: Did you find that the FD lens did not work. Or you just did not want to go that way?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:24 AM
sarg96

The FD lens will not work without an adapter which is too much trouble. I like to keep things simple.

sarg96
Old 03-18-2009, 02:44 AM
T-one

Sarge you couldn't afford an adapter if you could find one.Check out Poular Phptpgraphy for April 09 the answer is in the question sections.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:47 AM
T-one

In addition if you're set on canon, the Nikon D200 is a great camera and relativly inexpensive "NEW" at Best Buy on linne at 599.00
Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Recently inherited an EOS 650. Wonder how it will complement the Fujifilm S-100FS I got recently...and the CoolPix S60.

I've found that my fiance and I use the little S60 a lot more when we'er out together. Something that has only two buttons makes it easy to hand to someone and ask for a pic of the two of us. Even though the S100FS is dead-simple to use, when you hand it to someone and say "look here and push this button hard", they're very intimidated. Little S60 point-and-shoot? well, no problems.

Wonder if film cameras are still worth it...I've had a Ricoh Auto Half for about 45 years, and it never got much use. Hmmmm....