Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

Digital projectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Black Arrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital projectors

I am thinking about swichting to digital from film. I have 2 Canon AE-1's and the wife has a Canon Eos Elan 7. Will probably go for a Nikon D90. We do a ton of color slides and show them with the usual Kodak Carousel projector in an in-home environment.

Now for the questions:

What do you know about digital projectors?

What do you need to get the brightness required for across a large room use and some good, sharp images? I see they get expensive in a hurry.

Where are the best places to look for digital projectors if you want good service at a competitve price?

How difficult is it to get the computer stored images sent to the projetor and onto the screen? Is a software program required?

Thanks to anyone who take the time to try and help me learn!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Digital projectors

Both PC and Apple already have the software needed for "slide show". (If you use the D90, remember to convert the pics to JPEG (or shoot in JPEG) if you shoot in RAW. No computer understands RAW without special software, such as Nikon's Capture NX. The camera comes with software to download and convert, but not really edit.) The projector will have an input that allows direct connection to the computer. The Mac should have an adapter to allow it to connect (VGA or SVGA). I would suggest 2000 lumens or more, the more the better but more expensive. I've seen LCD projectors at 2000 lumens in the $500 or a little more price range.) Even with 2000 lumens you want to turn the lights off in the room. If you're planning to project on the wall, it won't look as good or as bright. If brightness and clarity are important, invest in a screen. As you've seen the prices rise pretty quickly. I can't help you with where to buy. I would google to see where locally or on line the lowest prices are. If you use is it a lot, remember bulbs ($50 - $200) need to be replaced every approx 1000 - 2000 hours.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Black Arrow

ThanksJim! You told me a lot that I didn't know. I appreciate your taking the time to post a reply.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old thread but I thought I would chime in....Jim is spot on, I picked up a projector at BestBuy for 569.99 a couple of years ago and it is excellent for viewing large format photo's.

Projector screens are inex*****ve (anywhere from 50-100.00) and really make your projector pop. At Hoosier Dawn Patrol in Muncie (Aughust 21-23 this year) we use my projector to watch movies after dark on the side of the big tent so any uniform white background would work but a screen made for projectors is best.

Viewing photos on the projector is very simple. There is a monitor plug on the back (just like your computer monitor has) that you can plug your laptop/desktop into. The projector acts exactly like a monitor. You can then use your computers built in viewing software (Windows Media player, etc) to view the pictures. Using Powerpoint to add text and sound.

You have probably already purchased a projector by now but this is good information for others who are looking for one.

David
Old 07-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Black Arrow

Thanks Prop Nut! Good information! I have not yet made a purchase. Being retired and having my benefits cut has kind of got me holding onto my wallet a little tighter these days!