Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

What memory card for Canon SX10 IS

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
skeeter_ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What memory card for Canon SX10 IS

OK, i think i'll upgrade from a point and shoot to a Canon SX10 IS. It takes several different types of memory cards. Is one type better than the other? Below is a link to the different type of memory it uses. What would be the best choice? I like shooting action pics alot. Like at airshows and fly-in if that makes a difference.

http://bestbuy.upgradebase.com/resul...U6u1BQI0D00JDD

skeeter
Old 08-26-2009, 03:48 PM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What memory card for Canon SX10 IS

There are two schools of thought on -size of memory cards ( NOTE ... I am not addressing the SPEED of memory cards).

One school says "buy the biggest one you can afford and you can shoot all day/week long and not worry".

The other school (which I subscribe to) says "buy a couple of smaller cards. That way, if you are away on a trip and one card fails..you can still keep shooting on the other one. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket."...

I had a new card fail on me after shooting about 100 shots. Of course, I was in Italy on a trip. I would have been divorced if I would have missed shooting Italy; Greece; Turkey; and Egypt by having only one card with me.!!!! The other card held up fine. I shot about 1000 pix with a Canon S3is at the time. The newer cameras produce bigger files, so that little 2 GB card wouldn't do that same job with today's cameras.

As far as SPEED goes, it is my understanding that faster cards do not SHOOT faster pictures...they just unload/upload to your computer faster. That understanding may NOT be correct information, though. regards, Rich
Old 08-29-2009, 04:56 PM
skeeter_ca

Ok, think i got this figured out with the speed and capacity thing. The name brands like SanDisk seem very expense. I noticed ebay had some no-names at a good price. Are they worth it or do they have problems? I would not want to lose some unreplaceable pictures just because i bought a cheap card.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-32GB-SD-SDHC...d=p3286.c0.m14
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-16GB-SD-SDHC...d=p3286.c0.m14

There both suppose to be class 6. Has anyone had experiences with these?

skeeter
Old 08-29-2009, 08:53 PM
richg99

My only problem with the aforementioned card was with an off brand. Each of the Ebay postings that you referenced seem to be SD cards, certainly a well known brand... and the one I use. . If the seller has a good rep; and the price is right; and you have checked to see if your camera can handle the bigger cards ( some cannot)...then an SD card is an SD card. Rich
Old 08-30-2009, 12:11 AM
skeeter_ca

Well they do show they are a SD card but they are not the SanDisk brand. They look like them except for the fact that they do not say "SanDisk". As the example below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sandisk-SDHC-16G...d=p3286.c0.m14

I would take this as a no-name knockoff. Am i wrong? Has anyone used them?

skeeter
Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 AM
richg99

If it is a knockoff...dont waste your precious photos to save a few bucks. Rich