Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Regarding the TP1010C balancer system

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Regarding the TP1010C balancer system

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:45 AM
AeroRecon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regarding the TP1010C balancer system

Draganflyer Battery Upgrade Kit: TP1010C Charger, 20A Power Supply, Balancer & Li Poly Battery

Comes with a new 2100mAh battery but the $319 price tag is steep. Will it really help in the long run, besides offering faster charges? What about perking up the older LiPos I have? Just looking for some guidelines and suggestions before dropping a hefty wad.

Thanks

Allen
Old 11-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Sky High

Default RE: Regarding the TP1010C balancer system

A faster charge would really be nice. A few of my older packs now take an hour and twenty minutes to charge and the newer ones only take an hour. I wouldn't get rid of your older packs. They may still have enough power to run a video receiver if you get that later on.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:17 PM
techrtr

Do higher output chargers charge LiPos faster than the yellow unit that comes with a draganflyer? I want to upgrade to something that will charge at least 2100 mah batteries. Faster charge times would be an added benefit.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:05 PM
laceycopter

ORIGINAL: techrtr

Do higher output chargers charge LiPos faster than the yellow unit that comes with a draganflyer? I want to upgrade to something that will charge at least 2100 mah batteries. Faster charge times would be an added benefit.
Yes...But never charge a Lipo at higher then a 1C rate. Another words you charge a 1320mah at 1.350 amps or a 2100 at 2.100.
Some manufactures claim higher rates, but we have found it shortens battery life.
Already posted a video showing what a Lipo charged a higher rate looks like when it Explodes.
Bacically just tryin to say even if your charger can charge at 5 amps...You can't exceed a 1C charge rate or you are lookin for trouble.
Happy Flyin,
Lacey
Old 12-01-2006, 12:51 AM
AeroRecon

All good stuff but the claim is better and faster charging.... 25 minutes although I don't know right now if that is for all of them or some. Lots of bucks but if it helps in the long run....maybe worth the money.
Thanks
Allen
Old 12-01-2006, 01:23 AM
TheHindmost

Lacey, I've heard that you can charge at somewhat higher than 1C safely if you use a cell balancer, and that the resulting charge will be longer lasting, and that because the cell balancer is used, it's not that hard on the battery. Is that true? Just how critical is the cell balancer?

(Going to school on your experience...Thanks in advance! )

Will
Old 12-01-2006, 06:22 PM
laceycopter

ORIGINAL: TheHindmost

Lacey, I've heard that you can charge at somewhat higher than 1C safely if you use a cell balancer, and that the resulting charge will be longer lasting, and that because the cell balancer is used, it's not that hard on the battery. Is that true? Just how critical is the cell balancer?

(Going to school on your experience...Thanks in advance! )

Will
A balance charger is extremely important it charges each cell to 4.2v and will not let it overcharge. A lipo charger without a balancer charges a 3 cell pack to 12.6v if one cell is low or not charging as fast could causes another cell to be overcharged to get to that voltage.

With a balance charger you can charge at higher then 1C because it won't let a cell overcharge, But we have found on our packs Pushing the charge rate shortens the battery life...And if you push to hard you can still overheat the battery when charging.
I think it is much better to charge at 1C and just have 2 extra packs...1 will always be ready to fly with no down time.
Happy Flying,
Lacey