Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Pico Micro Servo as a Camera trigger

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Pico Micro Servo as a Camera trigger

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Fesfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pico Micro Servo as a Camera trigger

I purchased a couple of pico servos from DFI to tinker with - I was very interested in their small size/weight and possible use as pan and tilt for the micro cameras. However, I decided to try it with a still camera while I wait for the Gentled to arrive. The pico servo does work (I hot glued it to the camera to test) and you can simulate the two button press needed for most autofocus routines.

HUGE issue - when the servo applies enough torque to trigger the camera it SHAKES badly. It doesn't matter if the switch is in the exact position to just make proper contact - any force whether minor or not cause these little things to vibrate. This vibration shows in images with the camera on the table (with IS enabled). I guess this would do ok if you were initiating a video from a digital camera but not for stills. I have a couple of the servos and both exhibit this behavior when you strain them any amount. I think they would be suitable to provide pan and tilt support for the small video cameras but that's it (other than there intended use).

Old 01-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Fesfly

Default RE: Pico Micro Servo as a Camera trigger

I hooked up a pico servo to the wireless camera - now I have tilt control (no pan) - pretty cool, it works well. I am surprised by the video quality of this little camera. Can't wait for warm weather.....

Here is a little video showing the camera tilt action. http://vssi.ca/dfvideo/xtreme-tilt.wmv
Old 01-25-2007, 06:39 PM
vi360

Default RE: Pico Micro Servo as a Camera trigger

How cool is that