Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

plastic rotor screws?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:01 PM
13BRV3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plastic rotor screws?

Greetings,

I put new rotors on the DF-IV I just got, and found that the screws were too short. In comparing the old gears to the newer gears, I see that the old ones are only threaded at the bottom of their holes, not all the way like the newer gears are. The new rotors seem to be just a bit thicker than the old foam ones, and the screws just barely catch. To fix this for now, I just used 1/2" metal screws.

This leads me to the question of why we use plastic screws. I've read a number of reports about sheared screws, and people buying mass quantities of replacement screws. Aside from the nano-gram of weight difference, is there any reason DFI doesn't just use metal screws?

Thanks,
Rusty
Old 02-28-2007, 11:33 PM
zBigBadWolf

Default RE: plastic rotor screws?

I would imagine because it's better to shear a almost free screw than strip a gear, fry a motor or break a blade.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 AM
13BRV3

I would agree with that logic if they only sheared on impact with some solid object, but I'm sure I've read of a number of them shearing in flight.

Rusty
Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 PM
TheHindmost

Yep, been there, sheared that. But in my case, it was probably due to rotor frame strikes, so I guess that counts as hitting a solid object. But ever since then, I've been running brass screws.

Will
Old 03-01-2007, 08:46 PM
hiaber

I just got a set of skookum carbon fiber blades from Germany - (2 blade not 3) - they are so tough that i'm kinda glad i have the Nylon screws for right now - however they have been striking the frame as much as the stock black ones, so to lessen this problem i took an old DVD case and cut out 2 spacers for each blade therefore raising the blades just enough that they don't do it as readily anymore. - sorry bit of an off shoot there, but bottom line: Plastic screws good with CF blades.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:16 PM
yvesOttawa

If your still practicing/hovering and hitting stuff, yep nylon. If you're flying outside and getting frame strikes now and then, time for the brass screws. Especially with CF blades, don't risk a crash and expensive repair 'cause the nylon screws sheared off, better to have confidence that the blades will stay put.

Just my .05 cents
Old 03-02-2007, 04:47 PM
13BRV3

Thanks for the comments. I guess the flexible rotors, and plastic screws are a good choice for starters, then you can decided if you think the metal screws are better.

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 03-03-2007, 05:59 PM
zBigBadWolf

Well Rusty that means I should stick with the plastic for a while for sure. lol
Old 03-03-2007, 08:28 PM
SAVS

I had the DF in the great shipping box and from CAN to NC it sheared one of the screws, in the case! I had to do a repair as soon as I got it back from DFI. I am sure it was a once in a life time...Denny