Go Back  RCU Forums > Aircraft - electric – Multi-rotors (Drones) > Drones Talk
Reload this Page >

Drone claims it's the safest design yet

Community
Search
Notices
Drones Talk This forum is for Multi-Rotor pilots and enthusiasts to talk about subjects that don’t quite fit into any other forum.

Drone claims it's the safest design yet

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:38 AM
richardespy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drone claims it's the safest design yet

Hello, everyone. This interesting idea from Kickstarter caught my eye. It claims to be the safest drone design currently available and I don't really doubt it. It's a quadcopter with an exoskeleton of sorts. They are currently looking for $100,000 in funding right now on Kickstarter and seem to have some traction on social media. What do you guys think?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...been-this-safe

www.xtflyer.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mmexport1442884945503.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	2126707  
Old 10-22-2015, 04:40 AM
richardespy

Any opinions? lol
Old 10-24-2015, 07:58 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting design.. but more people are probably wondering about the future of quadcopter/drones in the political world, than safety from props right now. Also I think many on RCU can probably build a structure like that on to an existing Quad, where as the public with little experience in rc would be more drawn to a safer roll cage on them.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:13 AM
richardespy

Originally Posted by foodstick
Interesting design.. but more people are probably wondering about the future of quadcopter/drones in the political world, than safety from props right now. Also I think many on RCU can probably build a structure like that on to an existing Quad, where as the public with little experience in rc would be more drawn to a safer roll cage on them.
I think that's the very value of this design. It may convince FAA to use it as an industry standard in the not so distant feature, as in "if your drone does not have a safety feature similar to the design of this product, it will not be FAA approved."
Old 10-24-2015, 12:17 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by richardespy
I think that's the very value of this design. It may convince FAA to use it as an industry standard in the not so distant feature, as in "if your drone does not have a safety feature similar to the design of this product, it will not be FAA approved."
What a frightening idea! FAA approved model airplanes.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:21 PM
richardespy

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
What a frightening idea! FAA approved model airplanes.
Why do you think it's frightening?
Old 10-24-2015, 02:11 PM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by richardespy
Why do you think it's frightening?
Given the way the government works, it will take over $50,000 to get a model "approved." If i want to build my own, even from a kit, there is no way I can afford to get it "approved."
Old 10-26-2015, 10:40 AM
richardespy

Right, I get what you're saying. Well, it depends on them and how much money that want to make off of standardize designs. In other news, the XT Flyer group also just released a graphic talking a little bit about their follow me function. Makes sense for them to talk about it since hitting an object in the way even at low speeds would be catastrophic for a low speed design.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12186269_487023798133136_2393472451866577157_o.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	2127772  
Old 10-26-2015, 11:34 AM
RC_Fanatic

"Follow Me" seems pretty standard now on new models. Not that I'd want something taping me as I run! Maybe on the motorcycle.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:55 AM
richardespy

I think it would be effective to film you running, though! It certainly would be less likely to hurt you or itself
Old 11-15-2015, 04:07 PM
paularcher

I like the fact that it rolls back if it lands upside down. A friend of mine has something simmilar, built by him and it works great, although it's a little heavy and doesn't look that good. A naked drone is sexier
Old 11-19-2015, 04:29 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks a bit "nanny" to me.... and that would definitely effect the handling....

Personally i don't see the point. Here is Australia if it weighs over 100g it needs to comply with the civil aviation authority (CASA 101)
CASA has a big rule book with sections specifically for model aircraft that pilots must follow. If someone was to follow the laws and regulations there is a very very very slim chance of someone getting hit. but yes there is a slim chance, and that's why pilots are required to have insurance.