Community
Search
Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

Black stuff from the muffler

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Brett_ty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black stuff from the muffler

I have been using the Jett-in-cowl muffler on an OS 1.08 with a APC 15x6 on 15/20 Byron fuel. The engine is not running lean and seems to be doing well. The Castor oil has and always has been black"ish" from the exhaust. I am wondering if the "tuned" aspect of this muffler has a tendency to "heat" the oil in the muffler and do this to the castor? And how exactly does the "tuned to increase hosepower by 25%" actually work?
Thanks in advance
Brett
Old 12-09-2003, 03:47 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Black stuff from the muffler

Hi... sorry for the delay. I have really got to figure out how to get email notifications from here.

Black in your fuel exhaust is almost always metal. Castor discolors to a brownish color.

The Turbo-Jett generally improves fuel delivery and provides increased fuel tank pressure. It usually provides better fuel delivery than a stock muffler, and can help avoid lean runs.

As for the tuning aspects of the turbo-jett....
Turbo-Jett mufflers boost power by up to 25% depending on the engine and application.
It is essentially a mini tuned pipe packaged in a circular fashion. Same sort of geometry you find in a tuned pipe exists inside of the housing. It provides the tuning effect in the same way, but is designed to deliver boost in a wider rpm and power band than a tradition tuned pipe, or tuned muffler such as our Jett-Stream.

In most cases, you will note the power increase from using a stock muffler by a notable RPM increase. On larger engines, this is less of an RPM increase as power increase. On a 1.08, you will most likely see between a 500 and 800 rpm increase on a 15x6. It is not an aggressively pipe-timed sleeve, but it does respond well to a tuned exhaust. We have also found that on the larger engines (the OS 1.6 especially) the RPM does not rise significantly, but we have turned larger props than typically used. You may want to try running a 16x6 or 15x8 just as an experiment.

Bob Brassell
[email protected]