Community
Search
Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

0% Nitro on Jett Engines ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Stoneweapon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 0% Nitro on Jett Engines ?

Hi!

I am running my bigger engines with 0% Nitro and normally with standard FAI Mix 20% castor 80% methanol.

Would an Sport Jett Engine of 65-90 Size or the BSE.76L run well with this Fuel an still have reliable idle and good midrange?

Especially the 76L is an interesting 3D Engine. Is it possible to test and set up the engine specially for no or low nitro fuel by Jett bevore delivery ? Can the Turbo-Jett muffler low the noise a little bit ?

Thank you!
Old 02-17-2005, 02:26 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 0% Nitro on Jett Engines ?

Hi Stone,

Thanks for writing.

Any of the Jett engines can be be operated on anything from 0% to 15% without modification. However, if you are going to run FAI fuel exclusively, simply note that at the time of order, and the engine will be specifically set up for it (usually pull the head down a couple of thousandths)

For 3D applications, the 76L is outstanding. That is what it was designed for. The engine is a "40" sized engine with the power of some .60 engines. It runs extreamly well with the Turbo-Jett. For larger aircraft, the "60" size engines such as the BSE-100 and BSE-120 are good choices for 3D and aerobatics.

Some of the applications out there utilizing the .76L have been on profile type aircraft, and the turbo-jett is difficult to install... in which case we provide the smaller lite-jett muffler.

The carb on the BSE-76L is a bit different than our other Jett carbs, and has been specifically tuned to maintain a perfect mixture down in the mid-power band, where a great deal of scale, aerobatic and 3D flying tends to occure.

In my little .40 size Edge, I run the 76L and turbo-jett combination, using either a 14x4 or 14x6 prop. So far I have found that the wood Zinger pro 14x4 performed pretty well. The APC 14x4W works well, and the standard APC 14x6 works great too. There are some other prop options as well.

The 14x4 props turn a bit over 11K rpm. The 14x6 prop is down closer to 10.5K rpm. The engine performs best in a peak rpm band from 9,800 to 11,500 rpm, and your prop selection should made accordingly.

What I quoted you is from my personal use, using 10% nitro fuel.

So figure that the engine will drop 400-500 rpm from these numbers moving to FAI fuel. With the turbo-jett installed, this still keeps the 14x4 or 14x4 running will within the best power range. The nice thing about the turbo-jett is it has a very broad range in which it will provide some additional boost to the engine, while still keeping a fairly linear throttle (no huge pipe step).

The turbo-jett muffler installation I described above is pretty quite... especially running only at 11K rpm on the top end.

I hope this is helpful

Bob Brassell
Old 02-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Stoneweapon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 0% Nitro on Jett Engines ?

Thank you Bob for the quick answer and the good news about the 0% Fuel. [sm=thumbup.gif]