Community
Search
Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

60 LX problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60 LX problem

I recently obtained a Jett 60Lx off of my fathers work table.( Don't ask because I am not sure how it happened yet)
He had shipped it back to Dubb at one time because I believe the piston was burnt and the sleve had turned?????
So he told him he had rebuilt it and to re-break it in but I am having a problem keeping it running and burning glow plugs I am using K&B 1L plugs.
When I get at about 1/2 throttle it dies. Start it up again 1/2 throttle it dies. Plug shot start all over again and the same thing happens.
I have even tried to put 2 rings on the glow plug.
Any Suggestions
Thank You
Pete
Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: 60 LX problem

To start with.....
Look in the exhaust port. Make sure the liner exhaust opening is lined up with the crankcase port (centered, not top-bottom).
If it is not centered, see below....

If it is.... check that the head bolts are tight.
Then...

If its blowing plugs, it is lean.

Or it is sucking bubbles.

You have been running Jett power for a while, so you know how that goes.

Very likely it is lean in the midrange if you can not transition up. If the low speed needle was move much at all, that will really mess things up.

Yes, it can affect full throttle too (sometimes)

First.....
Start it at full throttle. Just wide open. Use a 9x7 (or 9x8) prop.
Make sure the pressure line is connected. Back the main needle out 4-5 turns. It should be very rich at that point. If not, look for crud in the high speed needle.

If you can get a reasonable top end - let it run a bit - keep it just slightly rich for a tank or two.

Then ... try the low end.
See if it behaves. If not...

----

Try first backing the low speed needle out 1/4 turn. It should be almost flush with the nut. A lean low/midrange will cause the engine to run poorly. One that is set too rich will mess things up too. There is some information on this on the website Tech section.

--------

The rotated liner stuff comes from an engine getting over heated. Here is how it happens....
If the engine gets hot/lean, it blows the plug. It probably got pretty hot at that point. The hot engine causes the head bolts to come loose. You then change the glow plug. When you install the new plug, as you attempt to tighten it, the entire head button and sleeve rotate. We see this sometimes with the BSE engines, and on few occations with the cast engines.

A rotated liner will not let the engine run. So folks try to lean it to proper rpm again..... and again, it just goes lean and toasts the plug.

If it did rotate (visual inspection) pull the finned head, and rotate it back into place. Make sure the head is tight. And re-tighten the head bolts just a bit while the engine is warm after its first run.

---------

Try another type of plug too. The K&B works ok.... if you can find a Rossi 2, 3, or 4, use one of those just to get the engine running on the top end first.

--------

Let me know how you make out....
Old 05-28-2008, 04:16 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

I know its been a long time since this last post but between the house projects and the 3 kids with baseball,dance karate ect ect.
I finally got her running nice.
The low needle was out some how way tooooo far. So I evened it up with the nut and she started right up no problem.
I ended up taking a 1/4 turn out on the low end and now everything seems to be fine.
I ran it at 17,000 rpm with a 9X8 apc. Had someone toss the Magnum in the air and WOW that thing moved like a rocket.(maiden flight)
alot faster then the F-16 and the minnow with the 90LX's. Took 2 more flights and she is a mover.
I am currently building a patriot 40 that I was going to put that jett 60 LX
in, but now it looks like I will be calling Dubb sometime in the next few weeks to get me another 60LX.
Thanks for all the Help
Pete
Old 05-28-2008, 07:54 PM
DamBo

phjoker

I just had maiden on my magnum with a sj60lx with a 9x8 and that is the ticket for some speed. I was turning 18800 on the ground and backed it down to 17800. I only got 3 flights before the wing blew off. I found that the wing pin came loose, just something to check on your preflights. It is too cool on a plane to sacrifice.

Keep up with magnum flight info.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78684.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	959198  
Old 05-28-2008, 09:22 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Hey Pete......

glad to hear its running well again !

Sure does get the heart pumping when the engine jumps on the muffler and starts howling

And in some strange way its a concolation that the engine was pulling so hard it blew the wings right off [&:][&:][&:][&:][&:]