Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Esc for lithium ion battery???

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Esc for lithium ion battery???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 10:29 PM
gr8johnson3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esc for lithium ion battery???

do i need a specific type esc if i want to use a lithium ion or poly battery. can i just run the standard gws esc? i might buy a flight pack amd it comes with a nicad and i want to use lithium. can i just throw the new battery in? thanks guys.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:03 AM

Default RE: Esc for lithium ion battery???

If you want to be safe you will need to buy a new esc. Somthing like Castle Creations Pixe that has a programable cut off voltage. Otherwise, you risk ruining your pack, or worse. On the flip side, I have just thrown them in the plane with the GWS esc and flow it. But, I do keep track of how long I fly and the voltage of the batteries after I am done. I am conservative at first and then slowy work up to a safe flying time where I know I havn't run the pack too low. It doesn't hurt that my charger also tells me how many mah's are being put into the pack too.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:58 AM
gr8johnson3

thanks. when i buy i will look for a lithium esc. can you tell me a good source to read up on the ins and outs of electric flying. i dont want to keep asking questions that have been asked a ton of times.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:36 PM

While this place is awesome, rcgroups.com does have a lot more e-flight information. That is where I learned most of my stuff for electric.