Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

what batteries go with brushless 400

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

what batteries go with brushless 400

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 11:38 PM
jeremygaughan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what batteries go with brushless 400

I used 8cells 700mah nimh with a 400 sized brushless on my electric pylon racer. It flew for a long time very fast at half stick. After I landed I noticed that the plane was off but was still plugged in. I un plugged the pack and noticed greenish salt-looking stuff at the ends of the pack. Somebody told me this is too much motor for 8 cell 700mah nimh. Do I need more cells or larger batteries?

P.S. imagine the red stripes thats tommorrow!
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69809.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	110147  
Old 03-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: what batteries go with brushless 400

Yes. You roasted the pack by drawing too much current from it. I'm surprised it flew well. Those cells begin to knuckle under at 7 Amps, and the typical Speed 400 setup will draw around 10 Amps on 8 cells.

Get some decent cells in that plane, and it'll really light the sky on fire

More cells will make the current go even higher. That's not the answer. If you wanted to stick with the same size cells, fewer cells would probably fix the issue. However, the cell count is where you get the power from. It'll be like swapping out a big block Chevy for a Briggs & Stratton. You defninitely want to stick with 8 cells.

Normally, you'd use 2/3A cells like Sanyo 600AE NiCd or KAN1050 NiMH. But, there's a new cell on the market that might work in your case. It's called the KAN650 NiMH, a 2/3AA (note the double-A, it's a smaller lighter cell than the 2/3A) that can handle up to 10 Amps. Definitely much better than the 700mAh AAA NiMH you were using.

The KAN1050 would be my choice, but it will double your battery weight. The plane may not like that. You'll be pushing the KAN650s a bit, but they should handle it.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:31 PM
jeremygaughan

Thanks for the advise. I put a 8cell 400mah nicd pack in the plane and it is very fast. The flight time was about 6-8 min. I think I should try 600-700mah nicd pack. [img][/img]
Old 03-15-2004, 07:52 PM
davidfee

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch
The KAN1050 would be my choice, but it will double your battery weight. The plane may not like that.
FWIW, 7 cells 2/3A (KAN1050) is the standard pack for S400 racers. They handle the weight just fine... that's what they are designed to carry. A lot of guys use 8 cells for fun, even in the 75sq" Sobakin Stinger.

Nice looking plane, BTW.

-David