Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

lipo pack seperation

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Smokin RCer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lipo pack seperation

I was wondering if anybody has tried to seperate the packs that Kokam or any other brand that are out there and reconfigured them to a 3 cell or any combination to get higher voltage, amperage. If so, was it difficult to seperate them and is there a risk in de-soldering the connection that I should know about! Any help from some experienced battery handlers would be helpful
Old 07-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: lipo pack seperation

Yes, you can dissassemble a pack or add another cell to an existing pack.

Make sure that the cells are connected via the little circuit boards on each cell so you don't need to deal with the actual tabs anymore.

Pitfalls are that you need to have soldering skills, proceed with caution so you don't short a cell out, and measure the individual cell voltage to match the charge for adding a cell.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Smokin RCer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lipo pack seperation

are all the lipo packs connected via the circuit board or are there instances were the packs are wired directly to the tabs or is that not even how its done? And what is your opinion on how close the packs have to match voltage wise? Should they be charged close to the same. And once more do you know of any good links where I can find information on good wire to use and how to's on wiring configurations.
Thanks