Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Batteries and charger for Slow Stick Stock Engine

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Batteries and charger for Slow Stick Stock Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 12:24 PM
smoothyfp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries and charger for Slow Stick Stock Engine

I'm just getting started in the hobby and will be getting a slowstick very soon. I would like to get a couple of good battery packs for the SS that will last fairly well (around 20 minutes at least) and aren't very expensive (15-20 per pack). I'm also interested in a GOOD smart charger where I can plug them in and forget about them, but can give them the initial slow charge for proper cycling. If the charger could be an AC i could just plug into the wall at home, that would be even better. As far as batteries go, I've been heavily looking into NiMH packs. I've considered Li-Poly, but I don't want to hassle with those, especially since they would be exposed and on my first plane, which i'm sure will get wrecked a few times. I just don't know what voltage i need to run the engine, RX, and servos combined (thats how an e-powered system works, correct?). Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Batteries and charger for Slow Stick Stock Engine

Two 8-cell CPB650 packs from Cheapbatterypacks.com won't set you back much, and they're the ideal packs for the Slow Stick. With throttle managment (i.e. don't be roaring around at 100% throttle all the time) you can easily get 10-15 minutes per flight.

For an inexpensive, capable, peak-detect charger, I recommend the Hitec CG340. I've got two. They're ideal for small to midsize electric packs up to 16 cells. It's DC, but you can easily convert an old PC power supply to run it at home. Most of your charging will be at the field, or on the way there, anyway The only thing it can't do is a true C/10 charge on the 650mAh packs. It can only go down to 100mAh. HOWEVER, you can use your transmitter charger to trickle-charge the packs, since they're 8-cell, just like the transmitter pack. The wall-wart chargers that come with radio systems typically charge at 50-65mA, which is ideal for the pack.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:44 PM
smoothyfp

I have found some things on tower hobbies, and i just wanted some opinions on these products. i will list them and the link with them

Great Planes ElectriFly AC Park Flyer Peak Charger http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCJE2&P=8

Great Planes 7-Cell 8.4V AAA 650mAh NiMH http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBM1&P=6
-plan on getting at least 2 or 3 packs

Great Planes ElectriFly C-10 Micro High Freq ESC w/BEC http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUR94&P=8

Does Great Planes make good products? These are just ideas and nothing final. and I'm not looking for anything fancy, just reliable. thanks
Old 08-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using the Great Planes AC Park flyer charger since March. My one and only charger. It does the job so far. I fly fairly close to home so don't charge at the field or on the way. I do all my charging at home so a DC charger for me, at this point, is a non-issue.

Works well with GWS stuff as it has a JST connector on it. Easy to make adaptors for it. It has a limit on the number of cells you can charge. I can't remember what it is because it didn't concern me.

Smallest charge is at 200mah. But like Matt suggested, for your first charges, to get the cells broken in, use the transmitter charger. I still use my tx charger for my cells. I start one pack on the Great planes AC charger, one on the tx charger. After 3 hours or so, I take the battery off the Great planes charger and put the other one that had been charging on the tx charger. I figure it is a touch easier on the packs and gets the job done quicker.

One thing to consider: I've met people with like, 9 packs of batteries at the field. If you are going to be charging a lot of batteries, that $150 charger that does two packs at once is really like 2 $75 chargers that only do one battery at a time. Now that I've got a third pack in my possession, I'm already starting to think about getting another charger....
Old 08-18-2004, 08:51 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought 2 400Mah 7cell nicads packs from HorizonHobby.com . They give about 12minutes with the SlowStick provided you use throttle management. I've gotten more and less time.. depending on how I cruise the sky. Each was about $11 . I'm going to try a 730Mah 8cell nikmethydride next($16 through Horizon). It should get that little plane up there nicely, and give a bit more time.. I'm thinking hopefully about 15min or so.

I've got a Triton charger.. best one I've had yet. It does everything I need it to do.

The SlowStick is one fun little plane too. I like flying low and slow just around sunset.. bring it around into the wind.. glide down...... take it back around again... an occasional loop or 2 is fun too.