Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Amusing LiPo close call

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 09:44 AM
gravityrules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amusing LiPo close call

I read a post a few days ago that suggested charging LiPos in a propane barbeque grill as a safety precaution. I thought that was a pretty cool idea and started doing that. The other day I had a bad crash and dented the back of my 1500 mah E-Flite pretty good. To be on the safe side, I put the battery in the bbq to make sure it wouldn't blow up. Later that evening around dinner time, I thought I heard my wife out back by the grill. Suddenly it dawned on me that the battery was still in the grill. I rushed out to open the cover and find the flames on full and my battery getting baked. Fortunately, I got to it before it cooked.

Lessons learned from this are: Don't leave your batteries in the grill. Nicely instruct the spouse to ALWAYS open the grill before lighting (as the grill instructions clearly state!).
Old 01-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

Default RE: Amusing LiPo close call

HAHAHAH ok that was humorous!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:34 PM
gravityrules

Yeah, I wonder what a steak tastes like after a LiPo thermal runaway in your grill! Probably not too good.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

MMMMM honey! These are great steaks, a little metallic flavor though but I've felt unusually upbeat all day!