Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
 What charger for nimh batteries? >

What charger for nimh batteries?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

What charger for nimh batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What charger for nimh batteries?

I tried to charge a newer 5 cell 1400 nimh pack and it did not seem to take more than a surface charge in 20 min, then my Super Nova beeped that it was done. Does the Super Nova have issues with Nimhs or is it possible that the battery needs to be cycled first? I used a 1.2 charge rate like on the battery wrap and manually selected the number of cells, etc. (application is a gas car)
Old 03-01-2005, 09:50 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What charger for nimh batteries?

A SuperNova should be fine charging NiMHs. I've been doing it for years.

One of the main problems I had was with charge leads. Using the el-cheapo leads you can buy at the hobby shop for transmitters and receivers, I would get constant false peaks on NiMH receiver packs. They were too long and too thin, and were interfering with the more sensitive peak detection that SuperNovas uses on NiMH packs.

Another issue is, as you said, the first couple of charges. NiMHs kind of need to be broken in. Start with a C/10 charge, then do a C/2 for the next charge. For a SuperNova, .2A and .7A should be fine. After that, you should be able to go with a full 1.4A