Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

WHICH LIPOS AND AXI FOR 15LB HIGHWING PLANE?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

WHICH LIPOS AND AXI FOR 15LB HIGHWING PLANE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHICH LIPOS AND AXI FOR 15LB HIGHWING PLANE?

I have a Kange Rearwin Speedster 96" WS and weighs about 11lbs airframe only....I want to run a AXI 5320 or 5330 and Lipos. I figure finished weight to be around 14 to 15 lbs. could I get away with 8s lipos or would 10s be a must. I want good performance to do aerobatics as this plane has a straight wing with a full semi airfoil. I have a 6s2p TP 4000 pack. If I ordered the 4s2p 4000 pack and series them would this work or would I be drawing to many amps from the big AXI motor for the Lipos, rated at 10 to 12c continuous or 20c bursts. Thanks for any help!

Ron
Old 05-02-2005, 01:31 AM
jooNorway

Default RE: WHICH LIPOS AND AXI FOR 15LB HIGHWING PLANE?

I have a feeling that you have to go for the 5330/18 to get the power you want...
Propably could run OK on 8S LiPo but with 10S the amperage will be lower at the same og higher thrust. 10-12C, then you would need capasity at 6000mAh.
Not tried that motor, but this are my thoughts.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Darrell B.

Ron,

Your amp draw is going to be in direct relation to the prop that you choose to use. If you look at Hobby Lobby's site, the 5330/18 is expected to pull at least 80 Amps with a 19x12 prop. If you go up is size your Amp draw will go up as well. Granted these numbers are probably at WOT, but you need to have a little breathing room in your batteries or they might fry. I have to agree that you need at least 6000mAh capacity in order to play it safe, and then plenty of ventilaiton over the batteries. The motor should handle these loads just fine, but IMHO I think more and more that the weakest link in these large conversions is the ESC. Go for the largest you can afford, like the new Jetti 90 or something similar. I can't find the Jetti 90 on Hobby Lobby's site yet, but Greg Covey has tried one out on his Edge conversion. Check it out, I believe he is dealing with similar weights, and maybe a little higher wing loading.
I think that to be realistic about your AUW, if your airframe weight 11 pounds and the AXI itself is 23oz you are probably looking at 48oz of batteries, I think you are looking at more like 16 pounds. JMHO

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Hang...2673270/tm.htm

Good Luck and keep us updated. This looks like a great project.
Darrell B.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:11 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Maybe a phoenix 125? http://www.castlecreations.com/
Old 05-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Thanks for the responce guys and the advice...I guess I knew this setup was just wishfull thinking...I see what you mean on the current draw so I would have to go 10s3p at least for acceptable current that would not fry my batteries. I'll have to get in line for the new Jeti 90 I guess...do you know what there going to cost? Looks like I mite be better off with my first plan and put my 3.2 Brison gas engine on it and maybe convert later if lipos and esc's come down in price. Thanks again!

Ron
Old 05-03-2005, 02:31 AM
jooNorway

Yes Flatspin-RCU, it is a hard step to electrify such a big plane. But it all develops, hope both cost and weight will be more reasonable soon.
Your plane sure will be great with a gas engine too