Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Lipos, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 01:22 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipos, what to do?

Folks,
I didn't plan on double posting the same questions but I'm just not getting any repies and my flight leaves this weekend.. Hopefully someone here can share some insight on the subject..

Hi to all,

I'm still very new to the lipo scene and really need your expertise on the matter. I won't be home for a couple of months and just don't know the best method for storage. My initial intensions were to bring my rc's along but went against it in fear of airport security. I'm also limited to what i can carry on board. So my plans are, picked up a metal case from Wallyworld and thought I'd just fully charge the lipos and leave them in my closet. Do you think this is wise. Thought of leaving them in the garage but it gets pretty cold as well as hot.

Thank you to those that reply...

BTW: can lipo batteries be carried on board the plane? Thought I'd ask just in case I change my mind.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Lipos, what to do?

For long term storage they should be at somewhere between 40% and 60% charged
Old 01-19-2006, 03:40 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Red

thnx for replying. Would 40 to 60% be like in the 6.8v range. I've got a real inexpensive lipo charger (Electrifly Lipoly Charger) without the digital reading . I normally use my MRC 959 to check the amount of power on the lipo when its fully charged or when I'm done playing.

I don't have the goodies to properly discharge the packs. I really rely on my Castle creations spd controller to tell me when my battery is low. the controller will show sign of bogging and thats normally at 7.6. I wait bout 1/2hr to cool then back on the lipo charger.

Thnx
Old 01-19-2006, 05:25 PM

When I took a trip away from home, I left my lipos in two ammo cans, sitting in the middle of my garage floor. This placed them about 8 feet from the nearest flammable materials.

While not a perfect solution, perhaps, it seem far better than leaving them in a closet or on the workbench, where flammable materials would be only inches away. It was the best I could do, and of course, nothing happened to them while I was away.

- Jeff
Old 01-20-2006, 06:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all

As to can LiPo's be carried on flights, It all accords how knowledgable the persons checking are, if they know there stuff they will know that all mobile phones and laptops have LiPo's in them and will not give you a problem, unfortunatly there has been so much scare mongering concerning LiPo's bursting into flames most think they will spontainiously combust, and of course whilst we perpetuate this misconception by miss treating them and shouting our complaints, this will continue. Check with your airline, convince them if neccesary, then get it in writting.

Mike
Old 02-03-2006, 06:29 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that the 40% to 60% charge range refers to a voltage range of 9.8 to 10.2. The discharge curve is fairly flat from 11.1 volt down to 9.0 volts. 10.2 volts might be a good level for long term storage. The 40% to 60% charge range doesn't refer to 0 to 11.1 volts but the useful range of 9 to 11 volts.

I know that it is true because I've read it many times, that for long term storage lipos should not be stored fully charged. Red, if you are reading this, could you please comment?