Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Possible to run 11.1v Lipo on speed 480?? (7.4)

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Possible to run 11.1v Lipo on speed 480?? (7.4)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:48 AM
diggydaz2006ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to run 11.1v Lipo on speed 480?? (7.4)

Hi guys,

Looking to find out if i can run 3 cell 11.1v li-po's on a speed 480 can motor. I have the parkflyers cessna 182 and it flies great on my current 7.4v 1500mah lipos. Will i get more power out of a 11.1v? im sure it will spin the motor harder, but to destruction? or will it hang in there. I am starting to pick up alot on this Elec stuff but i've matched numbers for numbers... any advice will be great...

Cheers,

Old 03-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Mayday!Mayday!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Possible to run 11.1v Lipo on speed 480?? (7.4)

You can run a 3s lipo with a 480, if your esc is lipo ready. Keep in mind though with the higher voltage you will be turning the motor faster and this means pulling more amps. So to keep the amps down you may have to use a smaller prop than what you are using now.
Also make sure you have good air flow on the motor to keep it cooler.

The stock F-27B Stryker has a 480 in it and can use a 3s lipo, but it does shorten the life of the motor. The way I see it though, you get really nice proformance for awhile and then spend 10-15 dollars to replace the motor.

Hope this helps. BG