Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

What battery speed controller do I need ?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

What battery speed controller do I need ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 06:11 PM
corsur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What battery speed controller do I need ?

Hi guys I am thinking of buying a Multiplex Easy Star but not sure on speed controllers and battery's. I have two 7.2 six cell 1100 mah batters and a jeti jes 350 eco 6-12Ni-cd 35A Speed controller which I think would do fine (you can let me know on that). But also I am going to put a camera in this plane as i have seen picture of modelers who have done this so need to keep it light Can I use lighter Lipo battery's with the above mentioned speed controller. And if so what size of lipo to match/replace the battery's I already have as these give quite good flight times in a Multiplex Teddy I use to own till I looped it and it folded. I am new to lipo battery's so if someone could tell me please if my speed controller above wont do can you recommend a speed controller that would do the standard 400 motor that comes with this kit and a lipo battery I should be looking for with reasonable flight times without gong to pricey thanks corsur.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:20 PM
elevation

Default RE: What battery speed controller do I need ?

Corsur,

The speed controller you have is a bit overkill for this kit but would work ok. It does not support the cutoff required for Li-Poly cells but you can get a device from FMAdirect to make it compatible. see the attached link.

http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?item=1897&section=2

If you go with Li-Poly cells you wil need to know the current that the motor and prop demand to properly select a proper battery. Typical 400 brushed motors draw ~ 12 amps with a 5 x 4.5 prop. If you use a larger prop the current will increase, maybe dramatically. Also if you go with Lithium batteries you will need to have a charger specifically made to charge them.

Lastly speed 400 motors come in two voltages, 6 volt and 7.2 volt. the 6 volt motor can be powered with a 2 cell lithium battery, the 7.2 volt motor can handle a 3 cell lithium battery. Im not sure you can find that out so maybe go with a 2 cell ~ pack that can handle about 18-20 amps.

Good luck
Old 03-14-2006, 01:26 PM
corsur

Default RE: What battery speed controller do I need ?

Thanks Elevation would this controller work or is it to low on amps Xtra Air 14 Speed Controller
Aircraft - Forward - 2.5khz - 14amp - 3.5 ohm - 5v/1.0A - 4-8 Nicad cells or 1-3 Lipo cells - 21 x 11.5 x 7.1mm - 6.7g

They do a 25amp one also but its another £7 pounds or 12$ more.