Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Poly Quest Lipos...Any good?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Poly Quest Lipos...Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:06 PM
SAFZERO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly Quest Lipos...Any good?

I have been using Thunder Power batteries since last summer but I have a special configuration that requires high capacity in 2-cell format, and the TP's don't exactly work at the moment. The Poly Quest batteries from Hobby Lobby appear to meet my requirements, but I have never used them. I just wanted to know if anyone could comment on their performance.

Thanks!
SAF
Old 03-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

Default RE: Poly Quest Lipos...Any good?

SAF, I mainly use Polyquest lipos, although I have some TP, Hyperions, E-Tec and True RC.
I swear by Polyquest and Hyperion for the high amp needs. I have one setup that pulls 43 amps and I have used the PQ2500 3s 20c's for this with no problem.
They will put out the amps, but note, you should only pull 80% of the rating to keep your packs healthy. BG
Old 03-28-2006, 09:25 PM
SAFZERO

Thanks. By the way, what about Kokams CellPro's?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:05 PM
mickey-gem

I have been using mostly Kokams for about 3 years. I purchased some Polyquests about
6 months ago for a .60 size conversion. In my static testing, the Polyquests produced about
700 watts in my power system (I was using Two 3S 4200 mAh packs wired in series for 6S)
The Kokams produced 900 watts.

I am not advocating Kokams because I now only use Tanics. Just as the Kokams produced
more power I recently experienced that The Tanics produced more power than the Kokams.
In my current project. (Two 4S 3200 packs wired in series for an 8S) The Kokams put out 1250
watts and the Tanics (Two 4S 3250'S wired in series for an 8S pack) they produced nearly 1600 watts.
Also the Tanics were 3 ounces lighter than the Kokams. The Kokams are notorious for not being
able to hold their voltage under load which is plain to see by the 1250 to 1600 watt comaprison.
I was also told that the Tanics will also get better after they have been cycled a few times.

So I cannot recommend the Polyquests or Kokams. I have not even tried the TP's because of
all the negative posts I have read about them. It is recommended that the TP's stay below a 12C
discharge rate or else POOF![X(]

Regards,

Jesse