Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
 Newbie to Lipos.  How do I use a Polycharge w/balancing Lipo? >

Newbie to Lipos. How do I use a Polycharge w/balancing Lipo?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Newbie to Lipos. How do I use a Polycharge w/balancing Lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to Lipos. How do I use a Polycharge w/balancing Lipo?

Hi All,

Well, I just returned from the LHS after buying a $75.00 battery- an Electrifly "Power Series" lipo, wired for balancing..

I specifically told the staff at the LHS, that I owned an Electrifly Polycharge charger- which turns out to not have a balancing plug. Unfortunately, I was in the area, so I went to the store and bought the proper size lipo, knowing exactly what my plane calls for, but not knowing a think about balancing/non-balancing..

So, what do I do now? I'd prefer not to have to buy another charger, and I can't return the lipo (store policy).

Is there any balancer that I can plug inline between my battery and polycharge, that will allow me to charge this battery with what I have?

I searched around a bit on this forum, and I saw someone recommending just charging the lipo through the ESC connector, but the directions that came with the battery specifically advise against doing that!

What do I do?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 07-06-2006, 08:07 PM
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Newbie to Lipos. How do I use a Polycharge w/balancing Lipo?

http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3160.html

This will work along with many many others. Blinky seems to be a popular balancer as well.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:22 AM

Any ideas as to why the manufacturer of the battery advises against charging through the ESC connector? Is this because, since it is a lipo made for balancing, there is no built-in circuitry that will terminate a charge if any of the individual cells gets to max voltage?

Is it safe to charge through the ESC connector, as long as all other precautions are observed?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 07-07-2006, 05:06 PM
My Feedback: (325)

Yes, I think you have it right.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:48 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Just curious, how many wires are on that charge connector? And how many cells in your pack? If you have a 3 cell(11.1v) or a 4 cell(14.8v) and there are only 2 wires on the charge connector then it is not a balance connector. Some electrifly packs have the "cell overcharge circuitry" built in.