Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Toasted li-po

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 PM
sox101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toasted li-po

Yes, I know i'm dumb to begin with. I had just saudered a new deans connector onto my 800mAh 3 cell e-flite battery. I wanted to test out the connector, so I decided to plug the battery into a spare ESC to see if it made the led light up. Bad idea. The battery suddenly became very hot (it was in my hand) and started to smoke. It then made a hissing sound. I yelled to my dad to open the door and threw the li-po outside. I then let it sit for a while before approaching it. The ESC was not connected to anything. I didn't think the ESC would short the batery, do you think there is a problem with my brushed 25 amp ESC? Do you guys think it would be ok to reuse? It doesn't look bad at all except for some melted shrink rap.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

Default RE: Toasted li-po

Connecting an esc without an Rx to regulate input is always a bad idea. I would keep the lipo in a safe place for awhile and watch for swelling. I can't say much about the esc, I have seen them burn up on much less. It depends on if you had it wired wrong and how heat the esc suffered.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:16 PM
saitofreak

The input filter capacitors on the ESC are usually polarised - if you reverse connect the battery they will conduct current. Always confirm if you had the polarity correct.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:59 PM
spicedcrab

hi,
i wired a lipo backwards one time and plugged it into the esc, and it did just about what you said, it didnt hiss though, but got hot. after a day to let it sit, i noticed that one of the cells got real puffy, so i dicarded the battery, as far as the esc, it knocked it out of programming, i re programmed it and it worked fine after that, i have used the esc about 20 flights or so since then and it seems ok still.

happy flying, and good luck with that.