Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

LiPo + charger/balancer

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 AM
EpiphoneErik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo + charger/balancer

I will be purchasing another foamy soon...most likely an AirfoilZ model. I have been flying nitros for about 10 years, but recently got my first foamy (GP Yak 55 3D EP). it's pretty stock and I took Tower Hobbies' recommendation on most of the parts. Hence, I have the 22M-1000 Rimfire brushless and the Electrifly 1500mAh 8C LiPos.

I will be building my AirfoilZ w/ better components and wanted some suggestions on a good charger and balancer (I need a balancer right?). Also, are Apogee batteries good? I was looking at some of the 3cell 1500mAh 20Cs. Very nice price! But I don't want to get a crappy battery. The Thunder Power batteries seem pricy, but if they are the ones I should get, so be it.

I'll tell you the charger and balancer I was looking at were the Thunder Power TP-205 balancer, and the Thunder Power TP-535C LiPoly charger. They each run about $60 from www.3dxhobbies.com .

Will a LiPoly charger charge all Lipolys? or will I be soldering and unsoldering plugs all day? I don't know if chargers are proprietary to charging only their brand of batteries (eg. Thunder Power Lipos).

Thanks for any information you can offer...I'm still a bit lost when it comes to the whole power systems thing.

-Erik

P.S. I will be adding balancer plugs to my Electrifly batteries, because there are none on there now....where can I get the plugs to solder on? Are these them [link=http://www.3dxhobbies.com/product_p/csmale4.htm]CLICK HERE 3dxhobbies[/link]
Old 04-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: LiPo + charger/balancer

The RimFire motors are good little motors. I have them in several planes, and they have been running great, without a hitch.

Personally I stick to Thunder Power. For an extra $10 or so it is worth it to have the top of the line product. They do make a big difference in performance.

I would look at the FMS CellPro 4S Charger/Balancer, for around $55 it can't be beat, charges and balances. You just have to buy the appropriate adapter to charge whatever batteries you get.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:34 PM
EpiphoneErik

I agree w/ that statement. I was mainly wondering because the Thunder Power 15C is more than the Apogee 20C. I take it 20C isn't necessarily better?

What are some key things to look for in a "good" battery OTHER than Specs? The Apogee's sure look alot better on paper than the Thunder Power. Is it the manufacturing process?

-Erik
Old 04-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Fliprob17

20C is rated higher as far as current/amps is concerned obviously, but if you don't need it, it really doesn't do anything for you.

TRACK RECORD - Thunder Power has the track record of continued excellence and performance. Plus they have a great service/warranty dept. Just about anyone who has put a Thunder Power battery up against an equivalent has noticed the difference in performance that the Thunder Power has to offer.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:19 PM
EpiphoneErik

awesome! That's what I wanted to hear! What does everyone think of the charger / balancer combo I mentioned? Do I really need to splurge on the $200 TP charger?

Thanks for all the help, you guys are awesome!

-Erik
Old 05-21-2007, 07:36 AM
rcmiket

I picked this one up for 170 with tax at my LHS. It does everything Lipos ,Nicads, you name it. I really like it plus its AC/DC.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85481.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	688700  
Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Fliprob17

ORIGINAL: EpiphoneErik

awesome! That's what I wanted to hear! What does everyone think of the charger / balancer combo I mentioned? Do I really need to splurge on the $200 TP charger?

Thanks for all the help, you guys are awesome!

-Erik
The TP535C and the TP205V would be a good setup, but you are limited to 5 cells and 3.5 amp charge rate. If you are not going bigger than 5 cells, or 3500mah, that would be fine.