Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Electrifly Lipo 18.5v 5000mah 5 cell

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Electrifly Lipo 18.5v 5000mah 5 cell

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:03 PM
cwharper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrifly Lipo 18.5v 5000mah 5 cell

As much as I've scoured these forums looking for real personal experiences to help me make buying decisions I feel it's only fair to tell of my own from what I decided to buy.

Product bought: Electrifly Lipo 18.5v 5000mah 5 cell (possibly the largest Electrifly makes)
My plane setup: Electristar, Phoenix-80 brushless esc, and probably the motor equivalent of the Rimfire 45-50-600, APC 13x6.5E prop
Reasons I decided to buy this brand: I read somewhere they consisted of kokam cells which a lot of good things were said about kokam cells in the forums, the pack is five single 5000mah cells, there weren't many threads if any at all on electrifly packs this large (I've kind of learned that people tend to post in forums when they have a failed product or they need a problem solved. Negative feelings are more likely to get posted than positive feelings. So to me the lack of threads for this electrifly pack either mean it's not very popular or that no one is having problems with them. This goes for any product or even the evening news.)

By adjusting the upper throttle endpoint I have limited the esc to drawing 35 amps at full throttle. Any more and I think the airframe would come apart. The LVC was set at 3 volts per cell on the phoenix-80.

I've flown with this pack two times now. The second flight, I reached LVC after a total of 30 minutes flight time. I took the pack out and drove home. The pack rested for a couple of hours before I had time to start and monitor a complete charge. The charger I have is the triton2.

First, I tested all the cells with a fluke DMM. One cell was at 3.07 volts, the others were close at around 3.34 volts. I connected the triton2 via the deans connector and used the blinky balancer. The triton2 was set for lipo 5000mah 18.5v. When the charge was first initiated, the triton tried ramping up the current but then about two seconds later it stopped and restarted slowly again from 0.1A up to 0.5A. I guess it somehow knew that one cell was a little low (probably by monitoring the rapid change in overall voltage when ramping up the current.) It stayed at 0.5A for three minutes before ramping up the current again. I tested the weak cell again and it read the same as the others now.This time it went to 5A and then slowly tapered off to 4.3A toward the end of the first stage. The triton has a 90watt maximum so using watts=volts x amps, if watts stay constant and voltage is constantly increased then amps must decrease.

When the triton hit 21.01 volts the amps then steadily decreased to 0.5A at which time it declared the pack was complete. The blinky did exactly what it's name implies. All the leds blinked at random during the charge and finally extinguishing at the end. I tested the cells again and they were all within 0.004 volts of one another.

The triton2 put 4853 milliamps into the pack in 71 minutes.

I hope I haven't left anything out and I will try to update this thread occasionally throughout the life of the pack.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Fliprob17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electrifly Lipo 18.5v 5000mah 5 cell

The Electrifly LiPo's are good packs. But in all honesty, Thunder Power is the cream of the crop. If you get another pack down the road, try one. I can almost guarantee you will immediately notice a difference in power and performance. Also, the Thunder Power packs run a good deal lighter than any other brand. So the power to weight ratio is much better.

It is good to hear that that one cell was not faulty and recovered it's voltage, that would have been a big bummer