Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Electric Newbie - Need Help PLEASE

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Electric Newbie - Need Help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:29 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Newbie - Need Help PLEASE

Hi guys - I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm putting together my first real electric, an AeroWorks BD-5. The 'in the box' plans call for a HiMax 2815. When I picked up the plane in Denver from AeroWorks the guys gave me a preferred upgrade list and it calls for a Motor Mega 16/15/4.

During a trip up to Billings to see our daughter I stopped in at Central and picked up everything on the list. The guys had neither of the electric motor brands and the resident electric flight expert happened to be off for the day. So we looked through the counter and the guys finally came up with an Extreme Flight, Torque Series, Torque 2819/900 for me to install as a replacement. Beautiful little motor. I also picked up the Extreme Flight Airboss 35A ESC.

Needless to say the 2819/900 won't even begin to fit down through the motor mount slot on the back of the plane. [>:][X(] Now that I'm looking at numbers for all 3 I assume that the "15" is where we screwed up, and the "19" I came home with has something to do with motor diameter??

So if any of you would mind, could you recomment a good motor for this little pocket rocket? I'll just mail order it tonight (or whenever I get an answer) and wait until I we head back up to Billings to return the one I've got.

Also, I'm hoping that the ESC I purchased will fit the bill for which ever motor is suggested.

Here is a link to the AeroWorks site and the [link=http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=255]BD-5[/link] page.

I will really appreciate any help and/or advice anyone can give me with this. [8D]

Old 04-12-2008, 07:38 PM
bobferguson

Default RE: Electric Newbie - Need Help PLEASE

What kind of field are you flying off? I am using a Mega motor 16/25/3 in mine but I can not get it off our grass field. I have had in the air once and it seemed to fly ok. I put larger wheels and a long front wheel gear but still can't get enough speed on the grass to take off.

It has been a disappointment.

Now that we are getting some dry sunny days I am going to try right after we cut the grass. I see how it goes. I might try a hotter motor just not sure which one yet.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:37 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Electric Newbie - Need Help PLEASE

Hi Bob - I'm flying off of about 550+ feet of asphalt, so I don't have to worry about any grass dragging me down on this one[8D]. I flew off of grass while I lived back in Ohio for awhile, and it was fine for the gas and glow planes. I transferred back home to Wyoming about 3 years ago and flew on asphalt for the first time and found out I had a lot to learn about ground control and taking a few things for granted that the grass did

We have had snow up till last Thursday, but tomorrow it is actually suppose to be in the 60's to 70's (I'll believe that when I feel it) and light winds, so it will be the first time out to the field tomorrow to limber up the thumbs after a VERY LONG SNOWY COLD winter

Can you explain some of the numbers when I'm looking at them. I see where your flying a 16/25/3 and I just found the Mega motor 16/15/4 on the Atlanta Hobby site.