Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

li-po newbie, how do i charge this thing?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

li-po newbie, how do i charge this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:56 PM
destroyer_of_the_blade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default li-po newbie, how do i charge this thing?

hello, the only li-po ive ever dealt with is the one my blade cp uses, and the charger on it charges straight into the balancing lead, recently i bought 2100 thunderpower li-po's for my typhoons, my p-51 and my fliton but waited to buy a charger to find out what i could use, im on a tight budget for this charger so here are my questions, do i need to be able to balance these batteries? what happens if i dont? does the celectra charger charge directly into the power leads and not the balance lead? i just need a charger for cheap that will work fairly well for me... so if anyone can help me that would be awesome, like said im looking at a celectra because my lhs has them for $45, but if someone else has something a little nicer they would want to part with im still looking.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Fliprob17

Default RE: li-po newbie, how do i charge this thing?

ORIGINAL: destroyer_of_the_blade

hello, the only li-po ive ever dealt with is the one my blade cp uses, and the charger on it charges straight into the balancing lead, recently i bought 2100 thunderpower li-po's for my typhoons, my p-51 and my fliton but waited to buy a charger to find out what i could use, im on a tight budget for this charger so here are my questions, do i need to be able to balance these batteries? what happens if i dont? does the celectra charger charge directly into the power leads and not the balance lead? i just need a charger for cheap that will work fairly well for me... so if anyone can help me that would be awesome, like said im looking at a celectra because my lhs has them for $45, but if someone else has something a little nicer they would want to part with im still looking.
My 2 cents, balancing is a MUST. It does not absolutely, have to happen on every single charge, but should at least happen every few charges. Personally, I balance on every charge, it does not hurt anything. Not having the pack hooked up to a balancer, whether it is a stand alone unit, or a balancer/charger could cause one or more cells to have a higher voltage than the others, doing this repeatedly could lead into several possibilities, none of which are good Best to take care of the equipment, and it will take care of you

If you are looking for a all in one balancer/charger, checkout the FMA CellPro 4s, runs around $75, and you will need the separate Thunder Power adapter card.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I second the CellPro 4S. I have 2 of them and they have a built in balancer, are rock solid and idiot proof. I WAS using the adapters but I got a bunch of pig tails from FMA and changed all my batteries to a CellPro balance plug.

My .02 is that I WOULD NOT charge any other way than through the balance plug. I never have and never will.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:28 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FMA cell pro 4 is excellent. For what it's worth this hobby is not one that's cheap and if you go that route you will find out why. consider what your flying is it worth risking to save couple bucks on batteries, charger, etc. If can't afford it just wa it till you can.I'm not s aying you must buy top of line everything but do stick with proven products.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:51 PM
destroyer_of_the_blade

well considering ive got nearly $400 in my fliton now and its never left the ground... i think ill budget a little higher for a good charger, ive got a bad habit of just buying whats in stock... i really appreciate everyones .02, as of now im .04 smarter lol, thanks everyone