Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
 Re-soldering balance leads onto lipos >

Re-soldering balance leads onto lipos

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Re-soldering balance leads onto lipos

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-soldering balance leads onto lipos

help,please.
quite often,i find a broken balance charge lead on my lipo,and attempt to resolder it with what i have,being normal resin cored solder,it sticks for a bit,then at some point,out comes the solder iron again.
a bit of web browsing points me to zinc solder and flux,as clearly what is on the battery is different to tin/lead solder,and a better job could be done,if only i knew what and how to use it.
yours surely not alone Andy.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Re-soldering balance leads onto lipos

Andy, yep as you've found, some Mfg's use Zinc, aka Aluminum solder. And yes regular solder won't stick. Different type material and flux used.

I get mine here www.purehobby.com

You'll find with modeling you are going to be using several types of solder, like the above two, and silver solder. Again another material and flux to be had. Silver solder is great for strong repairs, like landing gear or connecting control rods, it's much stronger then regular solder.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:00 AM

Andy.

Remember your going to be soldering broken balance charge lead so you need the kind that is for electronics. Like lead free rosin core with some kind of %. Example: 96% Tin - 4% Silver and so on. Some with more % of a given component will work better.

Fernando
Old 01-31-2009, 01:31 PM

Anyone knows what is used on E flite packs?
Thanks