Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

My first day with the Blade MCPX - Review and Videos

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

My first day with the Blade MCPX - Review and Videos

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:56 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first day with the Blade MCPX - Review and Videos

Again great flying!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 PM
srt10

Horizon is sending me new parts for my mCPX
they have new parts to help with the blades not flying off
Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 PM
jay273
My Feedback: (1)

got mine yesterday..great little heli for the little cost ...i did have a couple isssues (rtf transmitter kept going into computer mode...) ( wayyy to much negitive pitch heli would not lift off at full power..adjusted the linkages and fixed that..) other than that its been a ton of fun and very durable...its nice on high rate good and squirly/twitchy ...the extra headspeed is nice as well....
Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 AM
dan1v2

I have been flying the msr and like many others i'm interested in advancing to the mcpx.

This may sound stange but i am not interested in 3d flying as much as the simulation or scale heli flying. Is it practical to configure the dx6i to control the mcpx as a scale heli? This means no inverted flight and such.

Thanks in advance for anyones input.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: dan1v2

I have been flying the msr and like many others i'm interested in advancing to the mcpx.

This may sound stange but i am not interested in 3d flying as much as the simulation or scale heli flying. Is it practical to configure the dx6i to control the mcpx as a scale heli? This means no inverted flight and such.

Thanks in advance for anyones input.

Yes, you can configure it any way you like with the DX6i or any computer radio... - I enjoy flipping and inverted with the MCPx but also like simulating scale flying...

I used to bea Police Helicopter pilot for manyyears - now I fly corporate jets, but often miss the rescue missions...

This is the closest thing I can get...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eCcpFB8Cxs[/youtube]
Old 04-01-2011, 02:58 PM
srt10

that would be sweet if they did make some scale bodies for this little heli
Old 04-03-2011, 05:22 AM
Rob2160

This MCPX is a great helicopter for inverted training..

I have made more progress with it over the past 2 weeks than I have in 4 months with my 450 size helis...

I was happy with today's flying!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj1zAc5zsW0[/youtube]
Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Drumheller Dave

Have been reading this thread and watching Rob's videos with interest and anticipation....hate to spend more money on this hobby, but I may have to buy one.....have an mcx..msr...sr....and a 400.........if I do succumb what extra parts should I buy....I,m about 130 kilometers (80 miles) from the nearest Hobby store...appreciate any info and or comments
Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 PM
srt10

only extras I bought was 4 more batteries
Old 04-06-2011, 03:49 AM
dan1v2

I picked up a MCPX bnf version and programmed my dx6i as specified in the manual. I have a fair bit of time with the MSR and can control this heli fairly well indoors, fix it when broken, and program the radio.

The mcpx is not flying the way I think it should. When running up the motor in normal mode the heli will tip left and forward without any cyclic input. More throttle and the heli will veer left and forward again without any cyclic input. When raised to a foot or so it will respond to cyclic input to bring it back but it will never enter anything like a stable hover. Cutting the throttle will really force it to the ground.

In throttle hold and stick in the middle it looks like 3 degrees of negative pitch. In idle up the negative and positive pitch is a little more positve pitch at max stick postition. Not quite symetrical.

When the battery is connected and bound to the tx there is some servo noise. It's not silent like the msr.

Before i take any corrective action I welcome input from the group here.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:09 AM
davidgeorge212

I have an mcpx as well and it seems to fly ok right side up just like my larger t-rex helicopters. When I tried to loop it and flip it inverted however, the mcpx starts pirroetting uncontrollably like if it had a gyro that was not holding the tail in place. I usually cant recover from when it starts doing that and end up crashing because of it. Does anyone know what I can try to fix that? It must be something in the program of my transmitter that I could adjust, I am just not the best at programming it for helicopters. I am using a DX7.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

I have an mcpx as well and it seems to fly ok right side up just like my larger t-rex helicopters. When I tried to loop it and flip it inverted however, the mcpx starts pirroetting uncontrollably like if it had a gyro that was not holding the tail in place. I usually cant recover from when it starts doing that and end up crashing because of it. Does anyone know what I can try to fix that? It must be something in the program of my transmitter that I could adjust, I am just not the best at programming it for helicopters. I am using a DX7.
This spinning out of control is caused by having too much negative pitch, which creates rotor drag and the tail just can't hold it..

Try winding all three servo pushrods to the collective OUT by 2 x 360 turns.. so that the swashplate sits slightly higher..

Then change your pitch curve to something like this.. 0 35 70 85 100 for idle up..

Then limit your Pitch Travel adjustement to -70 and +75

It will fly MUCH better..

Here is another way to minimise the tail blow out..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ3azXdAxzA[/youtube]
Old 04-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Rob2160

I picked up a MCPX bnf version and programmed my dx6i as specified in the manual. I have a fair bit of time with the MSR and can control this heli fairly well indoors, fix it when broken, and program the radio.

The mcpx is not flying the way I think it should. When running up the motor in normal mode the heli will tip left and forward without any cyclic input. More throttle and the heli will veer left and forward again without any cyclic input. When raised to a foot or so it will respond to cyclic input to bring it back but it will never enter anything like a stable hover. Cutting the throttle will really force it to the ground.

In throttle hold and stick in the middle it looks like 3 degrees of negative pitch. In idle up the negative and positive pitch is a little more positve pitch at max stick postition. Not quite symetrical.

When the battery is connected and bound to the tx there is some servo noise. It's not silent like the msr.

Before i take any corrective action I welcome input from the group here.

Thanks.
The servo noise is from the Flybarless system.. it is normal, both of my MCPXs are the same

Did you say you have more Positive pitch than negative? That is a first..

All the feedback I have received tells me the MCPXs generally have far too much negative pitch out of the box.. and not enough positive pitch..

it can be corrected by winding all 3 servo linkages out by two full turns..

But if yours has too much positive pitch this is the first time I've heard it...

Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Drumheller Dave

Have been reading this thread and watching Rob's videos with interest and anticipation....hate to spend more money on this hobby, but I may have to buy one.....have an mcx..msr...sr....and a 400.........if I do succumb what extra parts should I buy....I,m about 130 kilometers (80 miles) from the nearest Hobby store...appreciate any info and or comments

Its not perfect but its a great fun helicopter... much more fun than the MSR.. and very very robust...

Its a great machine to practice inverted with.

The only thing I recommend is using a bit of loctite in the feathering shaft.. since doing that I have not had a single problem..
Old 04-07-2011, 03:52 AM
dan1v2

Thanks to all for your input.

My heli has (had) ~3 degrees negative pitch at half stick. I have increased the length of the three servo rods by two turns each and now I have slight positve pitch at half stick.I can now run the throttle up to half stick and the heli is still on the ground and stable. Not tipping as before.

Now the heli will lift off in throttle mode or in idle up mode and hover!

With the setup out of the way I have some observations for those moving from the msr to the mcpx. Where i can fly the msr in the living and spot land on tables and such the mcpx needs the open space of the two car garage. The fact that is does not self correct is the big difference. You maintain control or you won't get it back. As far as my forward flight experience with the msr it has only given me hand eye coordination. The control inputs are not the same at all with the collective pitch heli. I some cases I have been using the self correcting properties of the msr tomaneuverthe thing.

Another difference is ground effect. When learning the msr can hover at knee level but the mcpx should be raised to waist or head height to get out of the ground effect. It becomes much easier to control right away. The idle up collective pitch transition has been easier then I expected but i manage to commit the throttle cut button to memory right away for when you need to get down in a hurry.

So for now I am back learning how to hover. This is good because the reason i got the mcpx was to improve my flying skills.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Rob2160

My heli has (had) ~3 degrees negative pitch at half stick. I have increased the length of the three servo rods by two turns each and now I have slight positve pitch at half stick.I can now run the throttle up to half stick and the heli is still on the ground and stable. Not tipping as before.

With the setup out of the way I have some observations for those moving from the msr to the mcpx. Where i can fly the msr in the living and spot land on tables and such the mcpx needs the open space of the two car garage. The fact that is does not self correct is the big difference. You maintain control or you won't get it back. As far as my forward flight experience with the msr it has only given me hand eye coordination. The control inputs are not the same at all with the collective pitch heli. I some cases I have been using the self correcting properties of the msr tomaneuverthe thing.

Another difference is ground effect. When learning the msr can hover at knee level but the mcpx should be raised to waist or head height to get out of the ground effect. It becomes much easier to control right away. The idle up collective pitch transition has been easier then I expected but i manage to commit the throttle cut button to memory right away for when you need to get down in a hurry.

So for now I am back learning how to hover. This is good because the reason i got the mcpx was to improve my flying skills.

Great to hear it is working better for you.. give it a few weeks and you'll be mastering the MCPX just like the MSR but you are totally correct, they are two completely different helicopters in every respect..

i love my MCPX.. it has been one of the best purchases I have ever made..
Old 04-07-2011, 02:57 PM
srt10

My heli has (had) ~3 degrees negative pitch at half stick. I have increased the length of the three servo rods by two turns each and now I have slight positve pitch at half stick. I can now run the throttle up to half stick and the heli is still on the ground and stable. Not tipping as before.

With the setup out of the way I have some observations for those moving from the msr to the mcpx. Where i can fly the msr in the living and spot land on tables and such the mcpx needs the open space of the two car garage. The fact that is does not self correct is the big difference. You maintain control or you won't get it back. As far as my forward flight experience with the msr it has only given me hand eye coordination. The control inputs are not the same at all with the collective pitch heli. I some cases I have been using the self correcting properties of the msr to maneuver the thing.

think I'll try some adjustmenst with the servo rods to..

I don't have the prop wash issue as some describe, I can hover about 1 to 1 1/2ft off the ground with no issues at all
Old 04-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Drumheller Dave

Damn.....off work early.....off to the Hobby Shop........they said they had one left .......walked out empty..oh well......wife would have killed me.........so they sold it before I got there....sniffle
Old 08-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Double-E

Hello Rob, I've been following this thread and I'm very interested in getting your opinion of the 3 radios that you have used on the mCPX. I know you started with the EX6i and then experimented with the RTF radio and lately you upgraded to the EX8. I know you found the tail curve feature of the EX8 but can you make any other comments on the radios. For example I think you said the RTF radio was stiff and unresponsive. I assume that means that the EX6i felt smoother. Was there any noticiable change moving from the 6 to the 8? Could you notice the improved resolution capability?

Thanks again for such a great thread. Your comments during the videos are great. I'm having a blast following this one.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:51 AM
chrig

Hi Rob
Ihave a mpcx since a fiew days.
I'm beginner and convinced to lern to fly the mpcx.
You did great videos while Inoticed how stable you start. You say that this is without roll/pitch.
With my heli ist that not possible he always wantsaway to the left. Ihave the RTF version with the DX4.
I can hover it in about a square of 5 meters now.
Is this normal or what can Ido to start more lift off more stable?
What is the difference betwen DX4 and DX6 etc.?

Old 08-30-2011, 12:21 AM
CrocEnd

Does this little chopper have head holding, I don't think so if it is blowing out.
The 5 rotor curve should help as Rob2160 has said.
Other than that my 9X11 should have free mix to do it.(I HOPE)

Cheer's and let us know

CrocEnd
Old 08-30-2011, 12:48 AM
chrig

I've been practicing with the DX4 in the meantime. I'm out at 2m square now. The cyclic contolgoes much better, the problem is to hold the high now.
What is head holding? The tail is verry stable, needs almost no correctionswhen he is hovering, Only at the start he still pushes moestly off to the left.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:47 AM
CrocEnd

Head holding gyros tops on larger choppers
Old 08-30-2011, 02:13 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Double-E

Hello Rob, I've been following this thread and I'm very interested in getting your opinion of the 3 radios that you have used on the mCPX. I know you started with the EX6i and then experimented with the RTF radio and lately you upgraded to the EX8. I know you found the tail curve feature of the EX8 but can you make any other comments on the radios. For example I think you said the RTF radio was stiff and unresponsive. I assume that means that the EX6i felt smoother. Was there any noticiable change moving from the 6 to the 8? Could you notice the improved resolution capability?

Thanks again for such a great thread. Your comments during the videos are great. I'm having a blast following this one.
Hi thanks for the comments and sorry I haven't replied yet.. I have been busy with work and not much as much time to fly in the past month..

I will answer your question as honestly as I can and I mean no offense to anyone.. this is just my opiinion...

1. Don't even bother with the DX4.. it feels cheap, the sticks feel spongy. like the springs are weak and non linear and lacks precision.

2. the DX6i isa great radio and will vastly improve your experience with the MCPX. it allows all the programing options you could ever need for this little heli and for larger 6 channel helis also.. I still use mine with Parkzone aircraft.

3. is there much improvement going to a DX8.. Absolutely and DEFINATELY YES.. I think it feels significantly smoother due to the ergonomics, (rubber side grips, ball bearing gimbals which are silky smooth)

I enjoy flying the MCPX with a DX6i, but flying it with a DX8 is a pure delight.. It does feel more precise but I think this is due to the smoother gimbals that allow you to sense tiny inputs more accurately..

If you can swing a DX8, you won't be sorry..

Here is some recent flying with the MCPX.. it has given me the confidence to fly my larger birds inverted at low level. I would never have been at this level without purchasing an MCPX.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNow9EH9gyU[/youtube]

and some low inverted with a Gaui X5 - I would never have tried this withouth the many hours of inverted practice on the MCPX..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFfBqMjctq8[/youtube]
Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: chrig

Hi Rob
Ihave a mpcx since a fiew days.
I'm beginner and convinced to lern to fly the mpcx.
You did great videos while Inoticed how stable you start. You say that this is without roll/pitch.
With my heli ist that not possible he always wantsaway to the left. Ihave the RTF version with the DX4.
I can hover it in about a square of 5 meters now.
Is this normal or what can Ido to start more lift off more stable?
What is the difference betwen DX4 and DX6 etc.?

Hi, thanks for your post. the DX6 is a much more precise radio and will allow you to fly more accurately in my opinion.

the DX6i is programmable so you can adjust your heli to fly better than the stock radio.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.