Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

mcx Tandem Rescue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mcx Tandem Rescue

Just picked up one of these used (probably not the best idea eh?) oh well.

Couple LEDs don't work but not a huge deal to me.

There are 2 problems I'm having that I don't know if they are normal.

First off, I can't seem to get my rudder trimmed. (spin CW/CCW). It always wants to spin CW. With a fresh battery I can trim it out to neutral, but once the battery drops below about half it always spins CW, even with trim to the max. Is there another way to trim this out? Trouble shoot?

Second, the aileron control is...weird? Instead of sliding cleanly left or right, it always goes forward when I try to slide left, and backwards when I slide right. Dunno if I have something hooked up wrong or not...or if this is normal.

Thanks for any help and advice guys, appreciate it.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Mack66

Default RE: mcx Tandem Rescue

Check the swashplate and see if it is separated. I have a CX2 and I believe that was what mine did (after a crash). You may need a magnifier to inspect it. IF it is separated, you should be able to snap it back together again by squeezing it with your fingers or gingerly with needle nose pliers. IF it is separated and you can't get it to snap together you need to replace it.

The rudder trim issue will probably be related, so fix one and then recheck.

Hopefully someone with mCX experience will chime in here. If not, call the support number in the manual those guys really are helpful and you can even leave your phone number and they will call back, rather than being on eternal hold.

Mack
Old 03-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Brainanator

Swashplates look pretty good. Nothing obviously apart. When I got it one of the swashplates was out of its...holder thingy. All the linkages seem to be in order as well. Guess I'll see about giving them a call tomorrow. A professor here bought one new, I'll compare the two as well, maybe I'm just expecting too much
Thanks Mack, still looking forward to other helpful advice.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Brainanator

I think I figured out the auto rotation. The gyro gets un-calibrated during long flights or rough landings. I can usually just restart the heli and clear that problem up I think (will test further after batt is charged). Still curious about the skewed side sliding.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:28 AM
AH-64_d

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

I think I figured out the auto rotation. The gyro gets un-calibrated during long flights or rough landings. I can usually just restart the heli and clear that problem up I think (will test further after batt is charged). Still curious about the skewed side sliding.
Look for a loose battery connection or solder joint. Momentary loss of power will drop the aircraft back into binding mode with subsequent loss of control. Your gyro problem sounds very similar.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

A friend of mine has one and they are extremely stable, very easy to fly compared to the mCX.  What you may be having happen is what happens to my mCX. When the battery gets low, it starts to spin and no amount of rudder can compensate for it. There is higher resistance on the lower blade set than the upper, so it take more power for the lower motor to spin. I took mine apart several times and cleaned everything, which helped for a little while, then it starts acting up again. I need to get some thinner oil, the stuff I used isn't working.   You can check this real easy by giving it just a touch of power until the uppers starts to move, if the lower blades stay put, then that's the problem.  The other problem you have sounds weird though.  Are you using the radio it came with? Mine did that when I used the radio from the Blade SR, and worked properly after binding it to the DX6i instead.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Brainanator

OK, after flying my professor's brand new one, I have determined that the spinning is caused by the gyro (re-plugging in battery to recalibrate it fixes it).
the strafe problem (sliding sideways) is also common. I think it isn't as bad as I first thought.
Thanks for the help guys, really getting the hang of flying this, so much fun!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Mack66

Uh oh, boys and girls. I think we've got another one hooked. Welcome to the dark side, Brain.

Mack
Old 04-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Brainanator

Well I would say I've always been hooked
This is just a nice thing to play around with inside when it's too bad/dark/snowy outside to run my land vehicles.

I also just got a buddy to order one too, ahaha. Soon they will be all over campus!