Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Tail motors...Brushed or Brushless...

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Tail motors...Brushed or Brushless...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 02:56 PM
nateg417

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail motors...Brushed or Brushless...

So what does everyone prefer brushed or brushless motors? I've heard that the brushed motors don't last very long. Ive been looking at the 120sr but it has brushed tail motor, how hard is that to replace? Note: I am not the most mechanically inclined individual. I've never soldered anything and don't have the tools to do so. So is a heli w/ a brushless motor better for someone like me, or is the ease, or difficulty of replacement about the same??
Old 01-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Tail motors...Brushed or Brushless...

They are VERY easy to replace. That is a very sweet little heli, one of the best around as a stepping stone to collective pitch if you're so inclined.
I think they last longer in the 120 because they aren't working as hard as say ones in an MSR or the great looking but terrible heli SR's do.
Just get a spare one thats a plug-in with no soldering required and keep a spare. I'm sure brushless is superior though, if you can find one from someone reputable that gets good reviews I'd sure consider that.. Doug
Old 01-09-2012, 07:44 PM
c9403
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Tail motors...Brushed or Brushless...

Nate,

The 120 was well thought out for tail motor replacement. Ijust did mine tonight. You can do it one of two ways, both of which are easy.

1. You can replace the whole tail boom and tail motor, the wiring simply plugs into the small plug coming off the main board of the heli. You then simply transfer over your rear fin and you are done.

2. You replace just the tail motor. The stock motor has a dab of silicone on it so you simply push it out from the left side. Be careful not to lose the small bearing when you take the tail rotor off. Then, just push in a new one and plug it in, replace the bearing and the prop and your are done. The instructions say to put a dab of silicone on the motor when putting in the new one. Iassume to dampen vibration. I did not have any on hand, so Ihave not done it yet.

Either way, they new that people would replace tail motors so they put a plug up front for when you do total replacement and a plug in the back for just motor swaps.

Either way, it is easy. Also, both plugs have a tiny dab of silicone on them to keep the plugs together in flight. Just scrape it off to get the plugs apart when replacing motors.

Hope this helps, the 120 is a great little bird.

Chris