Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Weird Nano CP control issue

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Weird Nano CP control issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 05:57 AM
Ribbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Nano CP control issue

I've had my Nano (BNF) for about 24 hours now but never got a chance to give it its maiden flight until this morning.... first CP heli though I'm pretty good with a single-rotor (MSR).

Using my DX6i and the program settings in the manual. It's considerably twitchier than the MSR even with the bullet blades installed so right now I'm using all 3 dual-rates.

It seems that if I give a control input on the right stick, for example left aileron, the swashplate doesn't return to center when the stick does. I've verified this by holding the heli down on a table with my hand and watching the swashplate, because the issue only seems to occur when the blades are spinning.

I tested stunt mode and it's really bad if I give it hard left aileron (still DR though) and release the right stick, the swashplate doesn't move back at all! You have to go hard right just to center the swashplate. But after cutting the throttle the swashplate behaves normally.

Needless to say this makes flying a bit challenging!

I've got it hovering reasonably stable, and in fact I didn't even have to set any trims. But this swashplate issue is driving me bonkers.... unless this is really how CP helis are supposed to work??

Old 12-26-2012, 06:30 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Weird Nano CP control issue

ORIGINAL: Ribbit

I've had my Nano (BNF) for about 24 hours now but never got a chance to give it its maiden flight until this morning.... first CP heli though I'm pretty good with a single-rotor (MSR).

Using my DX6i and the program settings in the manual. It's considerably twitchier than the MSR even with the bullet blades installed so right now I'm using all 3 dual-rates.

It seems that if I give a control input on the right stick, for example left aileron, the swashplate doesn't return to center when the stick does. I've verified this by holding the heli down on a table with my hand and watching the swashplate, because the issue only seems to occur when the blades are spinning.

I tested stunt mode and it's really bad if I give it hard left aileron (still DR though) and release the right stick, the swashplate doesn't move back at all! You have to go hard right just to center the swashplate. But after cutting the throttle the swashplate behaves normally.

I've got it hovering reasonably stable, and in fact I didn't even have to set any trims. But this swashplate issue is driving me bonkers.... unless this is really how CP helis are supposed to work??

If it is hovering normally, then most likely it is working properly.
This is a flybarless, 3-axis gyro system. The swash won't return to center until you command it to do so.
I have the 130x, same gyro system. It works the same way.
On the bench, if the blades are not spinning, the swash will return to level.
If the blades are spinning, the swash will stay at last commanded position.
I think I remember reading that the gyro system is not activated until the collective/throttle is advanced.
I have flown a friend's Nano, yes it is a bit twitchy, especially inside in a small space.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Ribbit

ORIGINAL: 804

This is a flybarless, 3-axis gyro system. The swash won't return to center until you command it to do so.
I think I remember reading that the gyro system is not activated until the collective/throttle is advanced.
I have flown a friend's Nano, yes it is a bit twitchy, especially inside in a small space.
OK, I think that makes sense, I neglected the effect of the computer. Since I'm holding the heli down, it's confusing the gyro system. Since the A3X doesn't sense movement, it doesn't tell the swashplate to change from its current location because it thinks the heli is already stable.

But the reason I tested this is because of the way it behaves when flying. Give it a bit of forward stick and it keeps going forward even after returning the right stick to center.... I'm used to the MSR being self-stabilizing in that it basically returns to a neutral hover when you let go of the right stick. Actual my MSR will revert to its classic "toilet bowl swirl" but I digress.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: 804

OK, I think that makes sense, I neglected the effect of the computer. Since I'm holding the heli down, it's confusing the gyro system. Since the A3X doesn't sense movement, it doesn't tell the swashplate to change from its current location because it thinks the heli is already stable.

But the reason I tested this is because of the way it behaves when flying. Give it a bit of forward stick and it keeps going forward even after returning the right stick to center.... I'm used to the MSR being self-stabilizing in that it basically returns to a neutral hover when you let go of the right stick. Actual my MSR will revert to its classic ''toilet bowl swirl'' but I digress.

Yes, this is the normal behavior for flybarless.
There is, of course, a limit to it.
If, for example, you were to pull full back cyclic to do a loop, or a flip from stationary hover,
it won't keep doing loops or flips without holding back cyclic. It behaves as you described
when inputting more subtle commands.
I've never really tried it with the smaller Blades,
but with my 600 nitro FBL, one of my favorite moves is to pull up from fast forward flight to
vertical, (as if doing a stall turn), then start lowering collective til the heli stops.
Then lower the nose to about 20 degrees up and start feeding in positive collective.
The heli starts flying backwards. I can literally take my thumb off the cyclic, and as long
as I keep feeding in collective, the heli will fly more than the length of the field with
absolutely no corrections, until I run out of positive pitch, or.... I chicken out.
With a flybarred heli, at some point the heli will start wanting to roll out one direction or the other.
And this is true of any of the orientations.