Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Using Hitec Optic 6 radio with Blade CP?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Using Hitec Optic 6 radio with Blade CP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:47 AM
PilotSmith
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Hitec Optic 6 radio with Blade CP?

As I sit here very impatiently waiting for my Blade CP to arrive in the mail, I'm pondering a host of modifications and things to do with it. (I like to tinker about as much as I like to fly.) I have an Optic 6 radio I use with my airplanes and was wondering if I would be better off using that instread of the stock radio. I would guess the Optic 6 has better range, electronics, and realiability? I also like the digital trim tabs that don't get knocked around when the radio is being transported. Good or bad idea?

For those really bored here is the manual ( http://hitecrcd.com/Support/Manuals/...Manual%202.pdf ) and according to Hitec the radio has CCPM mixing, 5 point pitch and throttle curves, high and low revolution mixing, throttle cut, throttle hold, gyro settings, rudder to throttle mixing, conventional or 120 deg swashplate, programable mixers for custom functions and custom compensation, 4 helicopter flight modes, etc...

Geewiz, all that stuff and all I can think of using are the digital trim tabs and clock timer. Off to radio shack I go to buy some fuses for my first Blade CP modification before it has even arrived! LOL.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Truglodite

Default RE: Using Hitec Optic 6 radio with Blade CP?

oh yes, absolutely use your optic 6.

imho it's one of the best suited radios for bcp use, since it has all the stuff you want for minimum $$$ (pitch curves, expo, atv, d/r, idle up...oh yeah, timer and dig trims too). not only are those features good to have for a stock cp, but they're perfect (bordering necessary) for brushless bcp's too. if i had an optic 6, i'd probably spend as much time playing with my radio as i do my heli.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:17 AM
PilotSmith

BCP arrived today. I'll start to play with the Optic 6 once I can manage to hover for more than 4 seconds so I can at least tell if I am programming the radio correctly. If anyone has info on a good basic setting for the Optic 6 with the BCP please let me know. My garage was definitly too small for newbie first flight. Balsa blade didn't last very long. [] Replaced with Plasti-blade. It ripped a good gash through the garage door insulation and got me thinking I should put some jeans on instead of shorts around those blades. [X(] Need larger area to learn flying...
Old 07-09-2006, 12:47 PM
ride1226

yea...the balsa blades usualy dont last to long with a new pilot on the sticks...as for ur optic 6 id love to hear how it goes...im debating between buying a optic 6 or a spektrum dx6...lmk how it all works out...and happy flying!
Old 07-09-2006, 01:03 PM
PilotSmith

Breaking the balsa blade was not too bad but the sound of the blades hitting things was sickening! [X(] I'll post some info on the Optice 6 w/ the BCP once I get a chance to tinker with it.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:26 PM
ride1226

yea i know what u meen about that sound lol...my friend hit his garage door...he bought his cp used and expected to just fly...well he hit the throttle the thing jumped sideways off the ground and bounced off his garage door...that was scary...but yea...do u know nethin about the dx6? im rly tryin to decide between these two radios...
Old 07-21-2006, 03:31 PM
garlonbs

Converted my Blade to an Optic 6 a few months ago and it made a world of difference in stability. Programming was pretty simple and there are lots of examples in the forums here. I'll be converting again to my spektrum this weekend just because i'm so pumped at not having to worry about frequency problems.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:49 PM
walleye_gfa

It will make it tons easier to use a heli specific computer radio... the adjustable rates are the bomb... stock radio works, but custom to your flying habits cant be beat.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:58 PM
PilotSmith

I'm new to helis so curious what more you could need for a heli that the Optic 6 doesn't do?

http://hitecrcd.com/Radios/Optic%206...on%20chart.htm

Old 08-07-2006, 09:20 PM
pierreCp

Hi guys,
Cannot get myoptic 6 to work with my blade cp. I m in heli mode with swash at 120.......the servos work but just no throttle. What am i missing? When i push the throttle up the red light gets on on the receiver......When i switch back to the stock controller all works fine.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Gonwee

Does it arm? Mine wouldn't arm because the rudder was set just to high causing it to not think it was lowered.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:28 AM
PilotSmith

ORIGINAL: pierreCp

Hi guys,
Cannot get myoptic 6 to work with my blade cp. I m in heli mode with swash at 120.......the servos work but just no throttle. What am i missing? When i push the throttle up the red light gets on on the receiver......When i switch back to the stock controller all works fine.
Hi Pierre,

Set the trim on the throttle to about negative 20 and make sure the stick is all the way down. Simply watch the light on the 4-in-1 as you give it negative trim. You will see that at some point the light will flicker to green. Give it a couple more negative clicks until the light is solid green. That should allow the unit to arm. Leave the throttle trim set to that position and next time you go to use it you will be ready to arm right away.

Hey Gonwee,

Did you mean to say throttle or rudder? I am now using seperate components in my BCP and to arm the tail I have to move my rudder stick all the way to the left and hod it there a couple seconds, then move it all the way to the right. But that will be different to everyone depending on what ESC they are using to control the tail motor.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:40 PM
pierreCp

thanks it works now.....now if i can just get my lippo i'll try and get this thing to fly!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Gonwee

rudder, i had an electron 6 wired to the 3-in-1 part of the 4-in-1. But since i fried the 3-in-1 trying to put servo leads on i'm going seperates.

If your still using the stock brushed tail motor, what esc are you using?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:46 PM
PilotSmith

Well..... Up to a few hours ago I was using an old spare Wattage 10amp ESC on the tail. I was messing around testing a different tail motor this morning and accidentally shorted out the 10A ESC. I also have a spare Wattage 5A ESC. I previously tried it but it did not work. It has a soft / slow start throttle that really was messing up the gyro and made it unflyable. I have a spare CC Pixie20 ESC that I will put on it later today. It is programmable with fixed throttle points so it should be ideal for use with the tail rotor. I am also going to try at the same time to use a GWS EDP50X motor with direct drive prop. The stock motor is a little weak and can't quite hold strong enough at times. Right now I am using an Electron 6 RX, Optic 6 TX, CC Phoenix 10 brushless ESC for the main motor, Feigao 1308434S Brushless Motor 34 Turn, and a G90 gyro. All working fine together. Just need to play a little with the tail now.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Truglodite

pilotsmith, how do you like the pixie esc? i was interested in buying one to test a few things with my blade.

btw, i'm using a brushless tail w/ phx10 esc, and i found "fixed epa" to be no good for use with the g90, because the g90 does not have adjustable epa (like a gy401). so "auto epa" is best at keeping left/right yaw symmetrical, although with auto you have to hold the tail and apply full right rudder for 2 seconds to get it calibrated every flight. this is the only way to guarantee that the epa's of the g90 output and esc intput are exactly matched.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:57 AM
PilotSmith

I have not flown my BCP in quite a while. I took everything off of it and put it back to stock as I planned to sell it. I have been flying a T-Rex for a while now. Pixie seemed to work fine. But I was never happy with the BCP tail in all configurations I tried.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Jkirch86

I have a problem getting my optic 6 to work with my 4 in 1, and I thought this would be a good place to post.
I have both sets of crystals, the e-flight ones that come with the blade cp, and some that came with my optic 6 tx.
I switched both out of the rx and tx and have tried both pairs, but they just won't work.
How did you get the optic 6 to work with the blade cp 4 in 1?
Old 05-02-2007, 01:28 PM
duaneh1

ORIGINAL: Jkirch86

I have a problem getting my optic 6 to work with my 4 in 1, and I thought this would be a good place to post.
I have both sets of crystals, the e-flight ones that come with the blade cp, and some that came with my optic 6 tx.
I switched both out of the rx and tx and have tried both pairs, but they just won't work.
The crystals that came with optic 6 are probably dual conversion, single conversion crystals should work with eflite receiver. If you optic came with Spectra module just dial it to the same channel that the eflite reciever is on. Thats what I did, worked perfect. If not you will need to purchase single conversion crystal for the eflite receiver
Old 05-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Jkirch86

Thanks Duaneh1 for replying, I don't have a spectra module and I would rather just buy a crystal set instead of that.
So basically I need any single conversion crystal on channel 21, which is the channel my tx module is on?
Also I don't understand why the eflite tx crystal won't work in my optic 6, I though all tx crystals were the same??
Old 05-03-2007, 03:05 AM
PilotSmith

What problem are you having?

ORIGINAL: Jkirch86

Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Jkirch86

The problem is getting my optic 6 to work with my blade cp 4 in 1.
I ordered an e-flite crystal set on channel 21, which is the same channel a my optic 6 module.
It should work, or at least I hope.