Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Upgrade motors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 12:23 AM
wildpig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade motors?

These motors just arrived.
Can i use these for my blade cx2?
Any incompatible problem with the 4in1/battery?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21441.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	600676  
Old 01-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Nitronuts

Default RE: Upgrade motors?

Those look sweet, I wonder if they will work in the CX 2[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 01-19-2007, 12:56 AM
Truglodite

hmm, ball bearings on a non-rebuildable brush motor... they should work. the esky lama is basically a clone of the cx, which has the same motors as the cx2. if they work with the lama, they'll work on a cx2.

most times bearings are a waste of money unless you put serious hours on a motor (ie: rebuildable or brushless). so i wouldn't spend too much more on those motors unless they are noticeably more powerful/efficient.

[edit: i noticed they didn't put a capacitor in the pic. if they come without one, you may want to install one to prevent glitches.]
Old 01-19-2007, 01:09 AM
bigbore

I've had my eye on those too. They have replaceable brushes and I would expect some performance gain as well as smoother running from the ball bearings.

Are you saying that you have them or just that they are available. I wouldn't mind being the Guinea Pig and spend the money to test them, I even have 2 BCX2s so I could do a side by side but I probably wouldn't get around to it for quite a while, I was hoping someone else would.

Also, they seem to be available only from the place you linked to, I rather add them to a "parts" order so they don't come to $20 each with shipping.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:14 AM
Truglodite

ORIGINAL: bigbore

They have replaceable brushes and I would expect some performance gain as well as smoother running from the ball bearings.
even if the brushes are regularly replaced, if you don't cut the comm it will get dirty and untrue, which leads to brush arcing and bounce. i noticed the motor has a non-removeable endbell, which means you'd have to tweak out the can to get the comm out for cutting. might work once, but over time the worn tab on the can won't hold the endbell on tight.

i would expect some gain in efficiency with bearings, but not enough if we're talking about $20 motors.

just talking from years of experience racing r/c cars with brushed motors. in racing, it's all about the comm. the fastest racers would use brushes for 3 runs only, but they'd cut the comm and reseat the brushes every single run to keep peak performance... and bearings are only aloud on modifieds, which crank out over 20A constantly (even stock class motors with bushings crank over 20A, and they last forever as long as you shaved the comm regularly). even with modifieds, it's all about the comm, although they burn brushes easier if they aren't geared perfect. i doubt the bearings and replaceable brushes are worth that much. maybe if they came out with a hotter motor that was only a couple bucks more we'd be talking (ie more power/shorter life). the reason they probably haven't is helis aren't like cars, more power isn't necessarily good if it means terrible efficiency or reliability in the air.

i know you guys are probably going to roll your eyes at me, but if you want more power & reliability, why not go brushless?

[edit: btw, this talk about racing reminded me of gearing. if that motor has a different winding count than the stock motors, you'll probably have to change the gearing to keep things efficient. generally, hotter motors (lower # winds) use less teeth on the pinion.]
Old 01-19-2007, 12:09 PM
ndoren

I went ahead and ordered a set of these motors. If you go onto the webisite and look at the detailed pictures, they do indeed have capacitors installed. On the downside, these things are actually coming from Hong Kong. I'll let you know how well they fit on a CX/2 as far as mounting, electrical connectors, etc. It's a pretty safe bet for me... I'm an engineer by profession and I'll make them work no matter what. However, it'd be nice if they were perfect drop-in replacements. I'll keep you posted. Neall

PS: I'll caliper the pinion diameter and do a tooth count. I suspect it'll be compatable as well. I'm pretty sure the eSky Lama shaft gears are the same size and tooth count as the CX, as well as the Dynam Vortex. One way to find out.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:41 PM
neilt6

I think they'd probably last longer and put out more power than the Vortex motors. Their probably quieter too from the bearings, and they give you the option of using silver brushes for 30% more torque. They wouldn't last forever because you can't rebuild them, but they would probably last longer than the others because you can swap brushes. I dunno if you can get a significant amount of extra service out of them they might justify the cost.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:18 PM
w8less

ndoren: I am anxiously awaiting to hear how these perform. Please post after you have tested
Old 01-19-2007, 07:20 PM
bigbore

No, on the contrary, I'm here to learn from people with experience. One thing I noticed years ago when flying RC fuel planes was the ball bearing engines ran smoother, quieter and almost twice as long on the same amount of fuel compared to bushing engines.

I'm not into spending a ton of cash on my BCX2's, if I pour money into any of my heli's it will be the BCPP's, but if I can put together a nice smoother running and quieter BCX2 I might swing for an extra $10 on a set of these motors when the stock set need replacing. I'll be looking for smoother and quieter and would expect longer life although the stock motors have given good service so far.
ORIGINAL: Truglodite

i know you guys are probably going to roll your eyes at me, but if you want more power & reliability, why not go brushless?
Old 01-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Truglodite

i used to have a k&b sport .21 motor with bushings over 20yrs ago (that thing ran smooth and quiet, but had no power). ever since i upgraded to my first bearing engine, i never again got bushings for my nitro airplanes. when it comes to electric motors though, properly oiled bushings will perform very close to bearings for as long as the comm will last. $10 isn't much by itself, but when you consider everything else involved with helis it adds up quick. then again, if the heli flies so much nicer that you enjoy flying much more... it's worth every penny.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:24 PM
mbx5prospec

The one who comes up with a brushless system to work with CX2 and keep the around $100 will be king...
Old 01-19-2007, 11:45 PM
wildpig

Ok!!
Thanks! for all the suggestions and tips you guys give!
I'll go ahead and order them and give a try on my bcx2.
As i'm in asia and HK is only a few hours flight, it will be here 2-3days.
I also ordered the Lama hard blades and try to mod it to see whether it fits my DIY blade holder.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:39 AM
Truglodite

that's $100 less that could go towards a trex.

Original: mbx5prospec

The one who comes up with a brushless system to work with CX2 and keep the around $100 will be king...
Old 01-21-2007, 03:06 AM
bigbore

Not everybody wants a T-rex.

[quote]ORIGINAL: Truglodite

that's $100 less that could go towards a trex.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:02 PM
w8less

Has anyone tested these motors yet? Compared to Vortex? My motors look like they are just 10 bat packs away from dead. Lots of gold dust/residue on the chasis.

I'd like to replace them with the best available option.

Thanks for the info![8D]
Old 01-22-2007, 07:12 PM
neilt6

What's the average life on the stock motors!?! I can't seem to find info on them anywhere!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:40 PM
bigbore

FWIW, I keep track of how many charges are on my batteries. My BCX2 batteries(4) have ~ 150 charges on them combined. One of my BCX2's(heli) has ~ 2/3 rds of the combined flight time on it alone and I don't see any slowing or obvious signs of failure yet. I do let them cool down between packs but other than that they get whatever two noobs can dish out.