Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Do You Believe OUT of the BOX SUCCESS ?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Do You Believe OUT of the BOX SUCCESS ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:42 AM
DrunkYoda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do You Believe OUT of the BOX SUCCESS ?

I think we all should give in and say yes this needs tweaks to work.

RTFEFBTFNABAAWP

Ready to fly except for basic tweaking for newbies and beginners and anyone without patience.

FGI is all I have to say. If you have $200+ dollars to spend and have no idea what you are spending it on give it to me, I will give you the thing you should want most in life.

I will let you be you, thanks for the $200.

FGI - freakin' google it

or

LIUORCU - Look it up on R C Universe.

DY

Not meant to be inflammatory, just saying you are on the internet, obviously. Before spending ANY money, check out what you are buying. The internet is a huge resource, be prepared in the future, this thing could really take off. Even a basic search for "learning to fly rc helicopters blade cp" listed hundreds maybe even thousands of sites saying "not for beginners."

First hit using exactly what I said...

Blade CP Flying Lessons: This is not an RC helicopter designed for beginners. ... RC Flight Simulators Simplify Learning to Fly - Free Do. ...

Old 05-08-2007, 02:52 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

My first heli was a Hirobo XRB. I flew it right out of the box no problem. Within a week I was ready to upgrade to something bigger. Got a Blade CP.
I...well....tried to fly it out of the box. It got airborne, and I managed to hold it in somewhat of a hover. I have no doubt it was capable of "being" flown out of the box, but not by me.
Kept practicing...and replacing parts, blades, etc. After a while I felt comfortable with it and got a MX400. Built it and yeah...flew it ok first flight.
Ive been tinkering with helis for a while now.
Well, about a month ago I decided to get a BladeCP Pro because...afterall...you can never have too many helicopters. Charged it up, and was doing loops in front of the hobby shop with it on the first flight.

It really all depends on what the skill level of the pilot that is flying it out of the box. ALL of the RTF heli's will fly out of the box....in the right hands.
Your current skill level will determine the successfulness of your out of the box experience.

It just takes time and practice....sooner or later you'll be able to fly them out of the box.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:22 PM
__REVO__

Out of the box sucess? Kinda depends on what sucess is. I spent my entire first pack setting trims and such. On my second pack, I could actually hover quite nicely, and fly around. Basically after memorizing what stick does what, I've had great sucess... of course there are the little oopsies that you make, and that costed me 16 blades, a body, landing gear, and soon to replace main shaft... On the box, sure you can fly well, just that one second where you accidently mess up, it all comes crashing down
Old 05-08-2007, 04:22 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: Roi

It would be interesting to see how many of you REALLY Had an OUT OF THE BOX success.
Did you REALLY just charge the batteries and fly the little wonder just like the box says ?

Roi

LOL....NO!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Georges Payne

My Blade Cp Pro was flight tested by an experienced RC heli pilot. It flew right out of the box, and with a little tweaking, it was perfect. It is my first ever helicopter, but I have flown model airplanes for 25 plus years. I then began my learning process, and I broke many parts many times. I also witnessed the first flights of two additional BCCP that two of my friends bought, again by the same experienced guy. One needed very little adjustment, the other one was flawless. So in my way of thinking, with my limited experience, E-Flite cannot be blamed at all. They gave me exactly what was written on the box, in exchange for a sum of money I was willing to pay. A helicopter that could be flown right out of the box, 3 times out of three. A perfect score, as far as I am concerned.

Since then, I completed more than 60 twelve minute flights, and I can now hover in any orientation, including nose in, I can do forward flight, and land safely. I learned how to repair, balance, and tweak the machine so it now runs very smoothly, better than when it was new. I spent more than 300$ in parts due to crashes and mishaps, including one time when I accidentally hit the throttle while I was putting on the neck strap, and the thing flew right under the porch at warp nine and collided with a brass light fixture head on. Yet I am happy with the way things turned out, and I am very proud of what I have accomplished.

It seems to me that people now expect that things can be accomplished with money alone. Buy a helicopter, add water, stir, and voilĂ*! Instant gratification. This forum is full of people asking what upgrade will make the thing fly by itself, and they don't see that money alone is not the answer. Work, patience, and perseverance is the key. To search the forums, read FAQs, DIYs, and How-tos, to try things, break things, make mistakes, be dissapointed, and finally succeed. You need to accomplish something if you want to have pride in it. The day helicopters fly alone, people will not play with them anymore.

Sorry for the rant, and keep working at it.

Georges
Old 05-08-2007, 05:35 PM
bilboa

It really all depends on what the skill level of the pilot that is flying it out of the box. ALL of the RTF heli's will fly out of the box....in the right hands.
Not really true. I've rarely seen a report of an E-Flite heli having any serious problem out -of-the-box that would prevent an experienced flier from flying it. However the same cannot be said about all brands of RTF heli. I've seen plenty of posts about Walkeras and other cheap RTFs, and had my own experience with the Art-Tech Falcon 3D, where the heli had serious assembly problems out-of-the box, or problems with the electronic components, which would have prevented even an expert from flying it without fixing the problems first.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Vancestix

ORIGINAL: Roi

It would be interesting to see how many of you REALLY Had an OUT OF THE BOX success.
Did you REALLY just charge the batteries and fly the little wonder just like the box says ?

Roi

I guess you can say I had success out of the box. I bought my CX2 used online and when I received it first thing I did was rip it open plug the battery in and fly the lil som*****. I'm 100% BRAND new to RC's and hovering the heli on my first couple batteries was no problem, it's when I started getting cocky that I started breaking blades :S

I've had my CX2 for about two weeks and I've broken two blades, is that good? Flying it is no problem for me, it's just when the tail isn't pointed at me I get a little confused sometimes, which brings up a question I forgot to ask you guys...

What are some good tips on flying the heli when the tail isn't pointed at you?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 PM
dogismycopilot

Wow, all I can say is that electric RC helicopters have come a long way since I have started. My first electric RC was a LMH Corona, fixed pitch blades, wood frame, and a 7 cell NiCD. It was somewhat more durable than my CPP, but it was a handful to fly! Every throttle change required massive amounts of tail rotor input and the performance left much to be desired. I crashed ALOT and barely ever got the thing out of ground effect. The kit and the parts were almost twice as expensive as a CP.

In addition to that, I had to build the entire thing myself.

All that being said, I parked the Corona 3 years ago and left the hobby to pursue other interests.

Fast forward to 3 months ago. I rediscovered the hobby and found all the new RTF micro helis. Bought a CPP and a set of training gear and I was off to the races. I checked the tracking (which needed a little help) and was hovering out of the box. I did replace the symmetrical baldes with the flat-bottomed variety off the CP and found them to be more durable and slightly more stable. I'm on my 3rd tail rotor motor, second main shaft, 5th set of blades, and second body but I can really fly the bird now. Hovering nose in, figure eights, even a quick roll inverted are all possible now with a stock setup. I credit the difficulty of flying the Corona to my out of the box success. I knew some heli basics and I could fix the thing if I broke it, because I built it. I credit a lot of patience and practice to my current level of skill. Flying a helicopter is d*mn difficult, no matter what. It takes more concentration, effort, and practice than anything else I have done.

Fact is, lack of piloting skill isn't the fault of the heli, it's the fault of the pilot.
1) Buy a sim
2) Buy less (e.g., a more simple) helicopter
3) Get a mentor/flight instructor and a buddy cable

Bottom line: Getting into the hobby is easier than ever. The effort required to actually build and setup and tune a new model used to deter and "weed out" some of those without the patience to do it right. Now, those with more money than common sense can get into the hobby for next to nothing and quickly become distressed when something doesn't work out as they planned. The "I paid for it, so if it doesn't work as I expected, it's not my fault" mentality creeps into the sport. Don't get me wrong, cheaper more capable machines (like the CX and CP) have made the hobby more accessible to many who otherwise wouldn't get to enjoy RC.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:03 AM
mrasmm

ORIGINAL: Georges Payne

It seems to me that people now expect that things can be accomplished with money alone. Buy a helicopter, add water, stir, and voilĂ*! Instant gratification.

Sorry for the rant, and keep working at it.

Georges

LOL , you said it!!