Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

what causes boomstrike?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

what causes boomstrike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 AM
vortex05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what causes boomstrike?

I'm a bit confused I got a massive boomstrike but I didn't even land hard. What is it about the eflite design that makes it so succeptable to boomstriking.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? (maybe replace the orings with bearings?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:29 AM
duaneh1

Default RE: what causes boomstrike?

Most likely your blades are too loose in their grips, that causes them to fold back on spool-down and hit the boom. Also loose head dampening can cause this-but thats usually when you land too hard
Old 04-13-2007, 01:56 PM
FMB42

Also double check your setup. Your C.G. and swash plate shoud be level and not tilted up in the front. Check out "www.bladecprepair.com for more info on this. Good luck and good flying!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:58 PM
mrasmm

Another thing too... I got a boom strike with the heli just clamped down to the desk. If you go full rear cyclic, the blades will hit the boom because there is not enough clearance. I was really suprised when it happened because I didn't think it could

Also the boom support on the super-skids can push the boom up making it more prone to boom strikes.

What was happening when you got a boom strike?
Old 04-14-2007, 01:59 AM
sportsman67

I seem to hit the boom as the most common problem in damaging the blades.Once I landed fairly hard and I hit part of the wing off my superskids boom attachment but mostly my landings are not that hard and it still seems to happen. I set the blades in the grips so that you can spin the head with them but if flicked with my finger they would move back a couple inches. I did this thinking they would suffer less damage in a blade strike. Maybe I should tighten them a bit to see if that makes a difference. Just my two cents. Happy Flying.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:20 AM
DrunkYoda

Just joking but, the path of the blades crossing the path of the boom.

Usually cause by way reverse or hitting something and bouncing to where it crosses the boom path.

I've heard people tightening up the blade grips so it can't do that. I have seen other helis with the flybar below the blade. This leads me to ask what is the likelihood of costing mush more when you hit the blades upside down instead of the flybar? Or should I not even ask that until I get to 3d? Hover ain't close.

Try, say you? Drink or drink not, there is no try. Hiccup.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:47 AM
mrasmm

I didn't see that you were thinking about replacing the o-rings with bearings. Yeah you can do that, but likely you are starting out if you are worried about boom strikes, and the bearings will make the heli much much more responsive, and I dunno how much they will cut out the boom strikes, but if you are starting out then it will make it much harder to fly. Something that can take the jolt out of the landing also helps, like the cf training gear that has some good spring to it.

Make sure that your head doesn't have too much play in it, and if you have more than about 20 hours, or for the heck of it, you can replace the orings with some new ones because they do wear out =)

hopefully that will help you get less boom stikes =)

any other q's feel free to ask