Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

That's it, I'm selling, I'm sick of the cp pro.

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

That's it, I'm selling, I'm sick of the cp pro.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:36 AM
Pearl_414
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: That's it, I'm selling, I'm sick of the cp pro.

Stargazerww,
Is it true the CPP main rotorblades can hit the tailboom? I never had that happen to me, and can't see how it is possible under normal conditions. The tightness of the rotorblades for the CPP should be snug. If you try to move the rotorblades between the bell mixer main blade grips, you should feel restriction, not a free swivel. Not to tight/loose, you'll be ok.

Pearl
Old 05-23-2007, 03:42 AM
mrasmm

ORIGINAL: Pearl_414

Stargazerww,
Is it true the CPP main rotorblades can hit the tailboom? I never had that happen to me, and can't see how it is possible under normal conditions.

Pearl
yeah it's completely possible. Actually while trying to help someone out I gave the heli full rear cyclic with the heli strapped down and I got a boom strike. Granted that's probably not "normal" flying. But the main part where it happens is pilots that come in heavy on the tail and flex the boom up, or hit the ground hard enough to get flex out of the blades, like during landing or something.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:42 AM
geoffrs

Hi,

When you say there's a really big difference, do you mean between the CX2 and the CP/CPP, or between the CP and CPP? Is the CP easier to fly than the CPP?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:59 AM
AeroDave

Guys,
if you don't run the blades tight in the grips you're asking for a boom strike. Not just on the CPP, but on any heli. That's just helicopters. It doesn't have to be a death grip, but they need to be snug. You folks have shared a wealth of good information on this thread and many others. I truly enjoy learning from all you have to offer. But I need to respectfully interject that if you're having trouble flying the CPP, you'll probably have trouble flying most other helis. The Blade isn't that hard to fly, its just a little small and therefore a bit twichy. But if you're crashing your CPP, you'll probably crash a trex. I truly mean no disrespect, and I really think you can fly this thing. Its just that saying the CPP is one of the most difficult helis to fly simply isn't true. Except for the tail wondering a bit, it responds accurately and consistently. The rest is up to you. Finally, I feel for ya is terms of crash set backs. I crashed a trex yesterday. Caught a bad gust of wind inverted and in it went. Its just part of the game. I would suggest maybe going back to a fixed pitch heli for awhile, like a Falcon, etc. Not a coaxial. Once you're really comfortable with the response of a fixed pitch pod and boom heli, give the CPP another try. The comments I read in here like "a great heli to crash over and over again, just pick up and fly again," are i believe unrealistic expectations for most helicoptoters. ok, I'm done. Sorry if I hav offended anyone. That really wasn't my intent. I just felt some perspective was needed.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Balance

Boom-strikes : A friend of mine recently got a CPP and he crashed it last weekend. I witnessed the crash
and seen the tail boom snap like nothing. I was standing there thinking "that didn't look like a bad enough
chrash to snap the boom like that". Now I can see what happend. When I go over to his house this weekend
I will measure where the boom is broke and where the blades would be folded back.
He could have also been in full reverse cyclic and tailed it first. [X(]

Great Info in this thread !

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

The truth will educate.......................if you can handle it.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
sidewayz6.6

Default RE: That's it, I'm selling, I hate the cp pro.

Hey, aren't you the one from one18th? Welcome to the wonderful world of helis!
Old 05-25-2007, 02:03 PM
KAH-Boom

I'm very new to all this, but love coming up with solutions to mechanical problems. I've read a lot of posts about this tail boom problem cause I've broken 3 or 4 in the matter of a week. Just like many have said, you touch down a little too hard, and BAM!

After contemplating buying a case of these things, going aluminum, or even trying to find some titanium I came across the coolest, cheapest fix in the world.

I had this idea to put a piece of rubber around the tail boom, hoping that would at least dull the hit. I just happened down the plumbing aisle at the local Lowe's and found a plastic water supply hose like what you'd use for a toilet. This thing was $1.50 and fit's just a little loosely over the boom (had to cut it down a few inched).

At first I thought the looseness would be bad, but it's actually perfect. The hard plastic absorbs the strike very well, and since it's loose on there it just spins away and does no damage to the boom. So far I've made several flights with this set up and no problems. I can see it's working cause there are a bunch of nice little dents on the plastic that clearly would have been of the boom-breaking variety, but the boom is in great shape.

Anyway, just had to share.........

Here's a link to what I'm talking about: http://www.hardwarestore.com/pop-pri...px?prodNo=3514
Old 05-25-2007, 02:36 PM
rollo

ORIGINAL: AeroDave

Guys,
if you don't run the blades tight in the grips you're asking for a boom strike. Not just on the CPP, but on any heli. That's just helicopters. It doesn't have to be a death grip, but they need to be snug. You folks have shared a wealth of good information on this thread and many others. I truly enjoy learning from all you have to offer. But I need to respectfully interject that if you're having trouble flying the CPP, you'll probably have trouble flying most other helis. The Blade isn't that hard to fly, its just a little small and therefore a bit twichy. But if you're crashing your CPP, you'll probably crash a trex. I truly mean no disrespect, and I really think you can fly this thing. Its just that saying the CPP is one of the most difficult helis to fly simply isn't true. Except for the tail wondering a bit, it responds accurately and consistently. The rest is up to you. Finally, I feel for ya is terms of crash set backs. I crashed a trex yesterday. Caught a bad gust of wind inverted and in it went. Its just part of the game. I would suggest maybe going back to a fixed pitch heli for awhile, like a Falcon, etc. Not a coaxial. Once you're really comfortable with the response of a fixed pitch pod and boom heli, give the CPP another try. The comments I read in here like "a great heli to crash over and over again, just pick up and fly again," are i believe unrealistic expectations for most helicoptoters. ok, I'm done. Sorry if I hav offended anyone. That really wasn't my intent. I just felt some perspective was needed.
Hey AeroDave don't be sorry because your statement is not offending you are clearly just setting expectations. I truly think people feel they can buy the CPP heli because it's already in one box ready to fly and then believe they can master it first time out. I mean why would they package something that would be hard to do in a complete kit. Contrary to popular belief the learning curve for heli's is steep and unforgiving. I fly both airplanes and now I attempt to fly heli's. Let me say one thing they are unforgiving machines and the slightest distraction, hesitation, or twitch and lookout. Expect to crash a little more often then planes but like anything a person learns it's a matter of getting back and try the activity again. The experts are the ones that don't let a few crashes get them down.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Balance

ORIGINAL: sidewayz6.6

Hey, aren't you the one from one18th? Welcome to the wonderful world of helis!

Nope sidewayz6.6 I am not who you think I am. I am who I am, nothing more, nothing less.
Thanks for the hello anyway though . [8D]

I am a new heli guy. Like so many. That is why I am here. To learn ....to educate( if I can).
I have a Cx2 and am building a 450se V2. My friend that got into this also has a
Cx2 and has "upgraded" to the CPP. I am the type of guy that likes to know what all
is going on in all directions. I seen my freind crash and burn his CP pro a number of
times and he just keeps rebuilding it. ( And that is with out ANY amount of hover action.)
I like to look to the negs and learn. That is why this has been such a interesting thread.

It is off topic (OT) now, I know, but the all that matters is, what is,and that is what brought me here.
If we can't look at the total picture then we must be blind. AeroDave said it just a couple of
post ago. Just because it is in box listed as RTF don't mean you can handle it.

All is as you think it is...good bad ...indiff. If you think the Cpp is junk ...then so shall it be.
If you think the Cpp is awesome...then it shall be also...
That is why this thread has been so intresting. It has been the bashing OR truth if you will
of what you get from this CP Pro heli.
I almost suggested earlier that we see if we could get this thread above the WEE CP thread.
Because to me if you learn the negs...then the positives will be all good.

As for the RTF's ...AeroDave is correct........see prev. posts.
If you can't fly.....you can't fly. And if you can't fly...then have the intellect to know
that you need to change, or get with the understanding of how things work.
I'am not bashing ANYONE! Fly and be free !

But I'am watching a friend of mine see how much money he can put into his CPP
without learning the basics.....it is sad. Putting spindles , main shafts...ect ect....
and there has been NO control ...it is just a move this way...that way....then..
crash.

There is so much to learn and the Cpp pro can teach if you listen.

The bottom line.....it don't matter what you "pick" what you think is
the "best". Your limitations are your own. If you reveiw this post the
guy that started it is>>>>>>>>>>keeping his Cp Pro.

So everything is as it is....this copter is this way...this copter is another.
Learn from these boards (forums). That is what they are here for.

Fly it ........right or wrong........only you can know..........but listen to everyone!
Then decide for yourself !
Old 05-27-2007, 12:36 AM
p01rogue

hi,
I started this crazy thread and yes I'm keeping the pro for now but we'll see after i get the t-rex built.
The dx7 radio convinced me to keep it, NOT the eflite parts or heli itself.

I still have reservations about the actual heli, the radio has made it livable.

I love flying the cp pro in my basement on bad weather days.
but come on people at e-flite make some better quality parts.
I'd really like to think I'll always keep my pro but when like today, a part just gives for no reason, I wonder?

I was hovering and doing pirouettes in basement, blade grip breaks here it attaches to flybar link, for no reason and down she goes.
Lucky only lost a grip and flybar but found that I was really hating myself for coming home with another bag of overpriced low quality parts from the hobby store to fix a crash that was in no way my fault.

Eflite parts are overpriced for the quality and short lived life.

I feel that eflite has taken advantage of me and this hobby by using effective marketing to get you interested and hooked on flying and then raping you in the cost of parts to keep you in the air.

I compare it to a drug addiction that is just to hard to quite even when you know it's expensive and bad for you.

Align $20 part, worth $20.
eflite $20 part, worth $3 .

that sums up how I feel.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:34 AM
stargazerww

i to started to think the cp wasa POS but after a little research and a little time on the sim at the LHS i realized how hard and what little sensitivity it takes to fly the machine... i am now hovering the cp a lot better but going to the rex is a huge financial leap of 800 dollars compared to the 250 dollars of the cp i would rather put the crash time on a cheaper machine that is already set up from the box than wreak a machine from a kit that i set up wrongly due to inexperiance. besides if i can fly a twichy chopper now going to a 800 dollar stable machine will be a lot easier.....so kuddos to EFLITE AND MAKING THE HOBBY A LOT EASIER and cheaper TO GET OHOLD OF.......
Old 05-27-2007, 01:19 PM
AeroDave

The funny thing is, the Align parts are actually cheaper. Yes, the heli flies good, and no its not the heli's fault if you can't fly it. We've established all that and moved on. I agree its a cheap way into the hobby. And I think a heli like this that flies so much like a larger bird (although twitchier, we've established that too) is really good for the hobby because it gets folks into a true heli experience for not a lot of money. I think its really lame, however, that the parts are such low quality. I guess I just got lucky. I've had my CPP since December and haven't had one failure in like a couple hundred flights. Of course I never crashed it either, that parts not luck. But a blade grip giving out in flight????? Give me a break! (pardon the pun) That's just unacceptable. Dude, trust me, you'll love the trex experience. Big initial outlay, but after that its great. My friends and I fly them right along side our larger helis and the trex's can do everything, and do it just as well. In fact, my trex's are way better in FFF than my Raptor Titan. No inclination to pitch up at all. Its so fun to do a long, REALLY fast pass and then pull up fir a straight up, rocket like ascent and then go to zero pitch and start those really fast piros, like a never ending stall turn. How low can you go? ( this actually has a name, I just can't think of it right now). Point is, the CPP get's you started, but he TREX 450 SE (V1 or V2) is a first class heli. Best of luck and have a great time!
ORIGINAL: p01rogue

hi,
I started this crazy thread and yes I'm keeping the pro for now but we'll see after i get the t-rex built.

I'd really like to think I'll always keep my pro but when like today, a part just gives for no reason, I wonder?

I was hovering and doing pirouettes in basement, blade grip breaks here it attaches to flybar link, for no reason and down she goes.
Lucky only lost a grip and flybar but found that I was really hating myself for coming home with another bag of overpriced low quality parts from the hobby store to fix a crash that was in no way my fault.

I feel that eflite has taken advantage of me and this hobby by using effective marketing to get you interested and hooked on flying and then raping you in the cost of parts to keep you in the air.

I compare it to a drug addiction that is just to hard to quite even when you know it's expensive and bad for you.

that sums up how I feel.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:29 PM
p01rogue

thanks.
I should mention that i do thank my cpp for giving me the knowledge in regards to fixing and setup on a heli.
I know the cpp mechanical and dx7 settings inside out but will admit that i'm finding the setup a little overwhelming on the t-rex as i have not had enough time to read enough about it and am very insistent about doing things right.
Also need to decide whether to set it up for normal flights at first or do a 3d setup.

ORIGINAL: AeroDave

The funny thing is, the Align parts are actually cheaper. Yes, the heli flies good, and no its not the heli's fault if you can't fly it. We've established all that and moved on. I agree its a cheap way into the hobby. And I think a heli like this that flies so much like a larger bird (although twitchier, we've established that too) is really good for the hobby because it gets folks into a true heli experience for not a lot of money. I think its really lame, however, that the parts are such low quality. I guess I just got lucky. I've had my CPP since December and haven't had one failure in like a couple hundred flights. Of course I never crashed it either, that parts not luck. But a blade grip giving out in flight????? Give me a break! (pardon the pun) That's just unacceptable. Dude, trust me, you'll love the trex experience. Big initial outlay, but after that its great. My friends and I fly them right along side our larger helis and the trex's can do everything, and do it just as well. In fact, my trex's are way better in FFF than my Raptor Titan. No inclination to pitch up at all. Its so fun to do a long, REALLY fast pass and then pull up fir a straight up, rocket like ascent and then go to zero pitch and start those really fast piros, like a never ending stall turn. How low can you go? ( this actually has a name, I just can't think of it right now). Point is, the CPP get's you started, but he TREX 450 SE (V1 or V2) is a first class heli. Best of luck and have a great time!
ORIGINAL: p01rogue

hi,

that sums up how I feel.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Pearl_414
Banned

Your right Aerodave, heli's do fly basically the same. On the same token the CPP is harder to fly then most heli's because it's micro, twitchy, and have to make soft landings in order to prevent a LHS visit. For newbees to do this on a successful and consistent basics, it is very hard for them. Dave, clearly your an experienced heli pilot. I'm not experienced as you are, but am very successful. After some 40 flights with my CPP, the motors are going out and have new 1's that will be installed soon. I been in rc almost 20 years and took everything I had to keep my CPP in 1 piece, so I can imagine how tough it is for the newbees. All they need is encouragment from us more experienced peeps, but they need to be pointed in the right direction. Most say the CX2 is to easy to fly, the CPP is to hard and the Trex is to expensive. No matter how experienced your are, no matter the heli, the most important of all is, LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES and don't get mad, get even. Great info by the way Aerodave!!

Pearl
Old 05-27-2007, 07:24 PM
AeroDave

Well put, Pearl. I think the bottom line and I'm sure its been stated a million times before is that the CPP flies well but might be a bit much to learn on. Its just that its such an attractive package. Not only is it RTF, but it comes with a lipo and bell hiller mixing. So it seems like a good investment at the outset, something you can grow with and not have to buy twice. I hope everybody gets that I'm kind of shifting my take on this a bit. Rather than buy it twice, it seems beginners are buying it more like a dozen times! So here's how its striking me today..... If you can't fly a CPP its not the heli's fault, in the same way if a beginning planker can't fly a P51 ( I know, its not really the same but the idea is) its not the airplanes fault either. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. E flite doesn't crash CPP's people crash CPP's. Sheesh! Maybe I need some more coffee..... Once again, however, the coaxial thing does tend to make folks put unrealistic expectations on a pod and boom heli with a tail rotor. I used to say flying a heli is like trying to stand on a basketball. Then one of my students (I'm a teacher) overheard this, promtly grabbed a basketball and stood on it. Smiling the whole time. *sigh*

But another important fact is, and I'm thinking of starting a thread on this, folks that buy these things set themselves up to fail. Most obviously by trying to fly them in too small a place, with too many things to hit, on a rough surface which will catch the skids. If you get training gear and fly in a big, open area with a smooth floor like a big shop or gym, you're going to be way more comfortable and avoid those panic corrections that bring disaster. I still love my CPP. great fun when its raining. BTW, I failed the girl who stood on the basketball. Not really, but it makes a better story
Old 05-27-2007, 08:43 PM
stargazerww

well me being new to this flying hobby

how do i get the cp to auto rotate

i know auto rotation is when you loose a engine and use gravity to keep the blades spinning as fast as possible then just befoe u go SPLATTT!!!!! u pull up on the colective to come to a hover then land like a feather.... or as the pilot in the black hawk did to us when i was in the army airborne getting ready to jump from 2000 ft in 1996

and what is the THROTTLE HOLD SWITCH?? and function??
Old 05-27-2007, 11:14 PM
rollo

ORIGINAL: stargazerww

well me being new to this flying hobby

how do i get the cp to auto rotate

i know auto rotation is when you loose a engine and use gravity to keep the blades spinning as fast as possible then just befoe u go SPLATTT!!!!! u pull up on the colective to come to a hover then land like a feather.... or as the pilot in the black hawk did to us when i was in the army airborne getting ready to jump from 2000 ft in 1996
There is no autorotation in the Blade CP or the Pro.

and what is the THROTTLE HOLD SWITCH?? and function??
not sure where you see the throttle hold switch but if you're talking about the Idle Up Switch the silver switch on top to right as you hold the control that is for inverted flight. The nob on the right is if you install the gyro.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:30 AM
mrasmm

you just need to install a one way bearing in the main gear. Micro heli has a good kit, plus the new gear has much better tolerances than the stock gear anyway and is alot more durabe.

Check here for instructions
http://www.bladecprepair.com/man_cmg_conversion.html

Also for better luck, give the rotor assembly more mass, such as moving out the weights, adding extra flybar weights, and plastiblades might also help. I've never done it, but from what I hear it is really hard to auto a micro heli. Also I'm not completely sure but I don't think you could do it with the stock TX, you'd need a remote with a throttle hold function.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 AM
stargazerww

thank you MRASMM looks easy to do ill have to try that some day

rollo i wa just wondering because i dont see it on my remote and i was just curious thank you
Old 05-28-2007, 01:08 PM
rollo

I see the throttle hold switch as an option in my 9cap. I would assume this is something that is used in the nitro choppers; however, that's just a guess.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:59 PM
p01rogue

I'm back to thinking, every time i glance at the cp pro, "what a piece of garbage"
Really , at least the electronics are complete crap.
Heli is yo-yoing up and down, loss of power to engine.
Been through the hole mechanical setup and servos, not the cause.
Once again the 3-1 is on it's way out.
This is the third 3-1 I've been through in 7 months.
I'm sorry guys , I gotta say the e-flite heli is crap.
Crap overpriced parts that wear out in no time.
$20 align part, worth $20.
$20 e-flite part , worth $2.

I was a supporter and defender for a long time of the e-flite heli but honestly now think it's not the e-flite heli that I loved but the actuall flying that I was addicted to.
I think alot of people love the e-flite because they have put alot of money into it to feed the flying addiction when they really should have bought a better heli to begin with.
I have replaced enough eflite stuff that failed or wore out for no reason to pay for half a better heli.

I have a really nice cp pro, g90 gyro, carbon blades , aluminum swash, upgraded spektrum reciever and honestly, after flying the t-rex 450 se, i could take the cp pro out to the back yard and just run it over with the lawn mower for all i care.

I guess what I'm saying , is if you're in the boat were you are replacing parts constantly and wanting a better heli but cannot afford to due to supporting your cp pro, just let it go and save for a better heli.

The cp pro is a great learning tool , but let it go at that.
Do not bother putting money into one, just learn and move on.
As far as hoppups are concerned, just buy a dx7 radio, you will need it later when you move up to a better heli and it is the best additive to the cp pro money can buy.
better than all the hopup parts and hours trying to tweak the pro.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:26 PM
noguy

I'll through my .02 cent.

It is tiny, light and cheap.
It can fly spectacularly, especially concidering its very light weight which is like a curse from the get go if your trying to build a smooth 3D capable heli. I am reminded just how sweet a well cared for bcpp(with select mod's) can fly every time I see that young kyle Stacy flying in the gym. [link=http://www.raymondstacy.com/pics/bladecppro31107.wmv]Kyle 3/2007[/link]
It is what it is(which doesnt mean it "crap" ) $250, Tiny, Capable, FRAGILE, RTF(which always means cheap electronics), great 1st heli for some, worst first helil possible for others, And if you ask me a really cool fun little guy.

I will say what I think is the biggest problem with this heli is the way it was marketed (at least to me). E-flite has the CX's which any 1st timer can fly relatively easy. Then folks see the cpp and think its their natural next step for heli's. It was my first heli and I fell foolishly into thinking this would be the end-all be-all heli for me. WRONG. I love my bcpp and will keep it unil something else this cheap and small can prove that it is worth spending the $ on to replace the pro. I do however think that it makes a great little indoor or backyard flyer for the advanced to expert pilots.

I wish I had learned on a larger more stable heli for some reasons, and for some other reasons I am very glad that I learnd to fly on one of the hardest heli's to fly out there.

my .02
Noah
Old 07-08-2007, 08:34 PM
blade_killer

I just took my CP and shelved it and bought a HPFP Mk3 and it's WAY better for me then the CP, much easier to control
Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 PM
cltmte

My $.02. I was fortunate enough to by the BCCP as well as a used trex 450 SE. I have used the BCCP to learn how to handle a heli since I felt the head speed, cost, etc. of the trex would be a bit intimidating. I also did not have a radio for trex at the time of purchase so the Blade was a great start. After adding the super skids, steel main shaft, and dual tail, I have a very smooth and controllable heli. It will certainly not do 3D is this config, but it has allowed me to get very comfortable with flying and controlling a heli in the normal flight mode. I love it in my driveway and backyard. I am still learning as a newbie pilot and it is working well. I have since purchased the DX7 to fly both helis and just have not set up the trex fully yet.

I thought for sure the BCCP would be too much for a starter, but I have been lucky with mine. Couple of crashes with minimal damage and it still flies great. Tail motors (when running a single motor) go out too quickly, but other than that I have been very happy with it. I know others have not faired as well, but I will always keep one around.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to get the TREX in the air. I have read many comments about those that have moved from the Blade to the TREX and love it.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Synister

Wow, all these stories are so similar to my own its amazing. Woke up one day and decided I needed a hobby, helicopters sounded cool so after some research I bought the CP Pro. I heralded it as the greatest thing since sliced bread, some day I knew I would do amazing tricks with it and parts were a lot cheaper and more available than my buddies raptor 60. Then reality set in, I learned how to hold a stable hover and move it around where I wanted. The tail was horrible and I just felt it needed more power. DD tail and brushless upgrade, along with HH gyro and now its good to go. Well, that was 6 months ago and havnt really flown it much since until about a month ago. The bug bit again except this time I wanted a "better machine". Hence my Trex 450SA purchase. My CP Pro is gonna stay around for a while, even with its limitations its still kinda fun to have to focus and really fly it. I do, however, recommend that new pilots with the money should look at the Trex because its such a fine machine and parts are cheaper. The point was made about how for $250 the CPP is a really attractive entrance into this hobby and for that, I cannot argue. It is a helicopter with a lot of limitations, shortcomings, and of course, horrible expensive parts for the quality. However, in its little corner of this hobby, there are not a lot of heli's that can match its price, performance, ease of maintenance, and parts availability. 3 outta 4 aint bad for the Trex tho...