Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

My Blade CPPro tail motor fix

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

My Blade CPPro tail motor fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:29 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Blade CPPro tail motor fix

I went thru about 3 tail motors and the reason each one failed is because the front bronze bearing came loose and let the armature move forward. That caused the brushes to self destruct on the rear edge of the commutator.

So...I took the lid from a can of dog food and made a disc the same size as the motor diameter. I used scissors to cut it out. Then I made a slot the same size as the shaft so the disc could slip over the front of the motor. I also drilled two holes for the mounting screws.

Since doing this I have not replaced a motor in the last two months. Its still going strong. I keep a spare motor around just in case.

See crude drawing...
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55171.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	675078  
Old 04-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Truglodite

Default RE: My Blade CPPro tail motor fix

excellent idea! i don't believe i've seen that one before. i'm using DD now, but i recall having problems with loose bushings on my stock tail motors too. nice fix.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:50 AM
mrasmm

Default RE: My Blade CPPro tail motor fix

hrm.... I guess I dont' quite get what the issue is or something, or how this fixes it. It sounds like it's a good idea and very creative, I just don't get it.

Sounds like in the gws configuration the prop pulls out the armature and the commutator, and the motor is not designed to handle the pulling, but rather it can handle pushing alot better. So when the prop pulls against it, then it pulls out the commutator from the brushes, and the end of the brushes are going to have a different shape, and so it's gona chew it up. That much I get..... I'm just ocnfused on the other part

Do you have an pics of the actual mod? That would be cool =)

When you say you have not replaced a motor in 2 months, how much do you fly? I'm just curious as to how long these motors are lasting =)

Thanks for the good info!