Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

E-flite Blade 400 why so special?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

E-flite Blade 400 why so special?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:08 PM
joshiese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-flite Blade 400 why so special?

Can someone explain why the E-flite Blade 400 is almost double in price compared to the Blade Pro....what makes it so special, the controller, the engines, the upgrades??
Old 10-05-2007, 12:24 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: E-flite Blade 400 why so special?

The 400 is a 450 class heli........ larger than the CP series. The CP series are a 300 class. It is the same size as a TREX 450. Also comes with a Spektrum DX6i TX. Not sure what RX or servos come with it or the gyro as I haven't looked at it closely yet. It looks like it will be a decent (not great) 450 class heli for the money ($400?) I am sure others will chime in here with the specs, bling and shiney parts listings. I just know the basics about it. The TX alone will be a awesome improvement over the stock TX's one gets in any RTF kit.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless the Blade 400 is something real special, I will stick with my T-Rex............
Old 10-05-2007, 12:56 PM
rcmiket

Good Move. Until this hits the market and is in the "users" hands I would be Leary. After the CP Pro money pit I'm done with Blade's. Good thing about the Pro it may me really appreciate my T Rex.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:38 PM
bilboa

Comparison of a Blade CP Pro to Blade 400 features:

[ul][*] Size: Blade 400 is much bigger[*] Tail rotor system: 400 uses belt drive tail with tail servo, BCPP uses cheaper motor driven tail which is much less reliable and with poorer performance.[*] Main motor: 400 uses brushless motor and ESC, which is much more powerful, and expensive, than the BCPP's brushed main motor and ESC[*] Radio: 400 comes with a far superior 2.4 Ghz computer radio, with an actual general purpose computer transmitter which can be used with any RC heli or plane, whereas the BCPP comes with a cheapy FM radio which is only useful with a BCPP or very similar heli and has very little programmability.[*] Gyro: 400 comes with a heading hold gyro, whereas the BCPP comes with a rate gyro built in to the 3-in-1.
[/ul]

Unless it turns out to be really junky or something, it's easily worth the extra money just based on the components it comes with.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:29 PM
blade_killer

will it be better then the Belt CP, defiantly cost more.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:03 PM
mrasmm

it comes with the ar6100e receiver, I think it still comes with the s75's (same junk servo's that are on the bcp's, well they aren't entirely junk, but they are quite fragile and sloppy compared to alternatives like the hs55's), it comes with the g110 which is supposed to be an upgrade from the g90, and it comes with brushless stock, as well as the dx6i like arrow was saying, which is a hudge upgrade from the bcp series Tx's.

Personally I think it would be a better deal than the blade series, although if I started getting into that price range I would serioulsy consider a Trex. If they would have come out with this heli last year when I got my first one, I would definately have looked seriously at it just because it was an RTF, and I was a bit intimidated by the kits.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:18 PM
bilboa

Actually it's supposed to come with a digital version of the S75 servos, supposedly better than the Blade CP Pro servos.

As for comparing to a Belt CP, the base heli kit might not be any better, but the whole RTF package is certainly nicer than any Belt CP RTF package I've seen, especially because it comes with an actual honest-to-god computer radio, with multi-model memory, airplane and heli support, etc.

Basically, I think that for anyone knowledgeable enough to buy something like a Belt CP kit, computer radio, motor, esc, and put it all together, there's nothing special about the Blade 400. What's special about it is it's raised the bar on complete RTF packages. I wouldn't buy one myself because I already own a good radio, but if my brother wanted to get into helis and wanted an RTF, this is what I'd recommend.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:03 PM
mrasmm

ahh, gotcha =)

yeah, I would say if you don't have a good radio and you are just getting into the sport, this is probably the target market.

here is the product page on it
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH1400
Old 10-05-2007, 08:33 PM
blade_killer

ORIGINAL: bilboa

Basically, I think that for anyone knowledgeable enough to buy something like a Belt CP kit, computer radio, motor, esc, and put it all together.....

just FYI, the Belt CP is an RTF but it doesn't have the dx6 type radio, it has the basic esky radio, I believe the same as the king2 comes with. It is brushless, esc, blah blah blah
Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 PM
bilboa

Well, the Belt CP is available in a number of forms: airframe only; airframe + BL motor + ESC + servos + gyro, but no rx/tx; or complete RTF packages. Compared to the Belt CP RTF kit, the Blade 400 RTF definitely looks superior just for the radio. A radio like that alone would go for around $200. If you're comparing a nicely outfitted Belt CP with a computer radio to a Blade 400, then I'd guess they'd be similar. At least that's what it seems to me, having never seen either in person.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 AM
darticus

Anyone know what training gear you buy for the blade 400. Is there a part number? Anyone have a best pre order price for the blade 400?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:20 AM
cx2cp+

ORIGINAL: darticus

Anyone know what training gear you buy for the blade 400. Is there a part number? Anyone have a best pre order price for the blade 400?
heh heh heh - nothing like learning to drive in a ferrari - i still haven't had the hbk2 out of ground effect, mainly cause i still mangle the hbfp every time i turn - can you imagine the price of a set of blades, spindle shaft, and a skid or two after a goodly fall? - and all the work to get it back to flying trim !!! - i'll stick with me lil mini til i get it closer to right

i think the pre-order price is set worldwide by eflite? - i have one on order, mainly for the radio, at least until i find the handle on the hbk2

edge
Old 11-13-2007, 01:46 PM
drphoto

A programmable radio is a must. IMHO the stock radio was the weak link in the BCP. When I put in HS55's and a DX7, mine became a fine little sport flyer. With the stock radio, it was a squirrel. The real key is having sub-trim, in order to get an accurate eCPPM set up. Programmable throttle/pitch helps, as does expo.

Yeah, it was underpowered, but I wasn't flogging it around too hard. I didn't even mind the motor driven tail so much, I mean it's a pretty clever solution for putting out the product at such a low price point.

The Blade400 looks to be a very nice package for the money. Sure it won't be a Trex, but let's face it one of those setup w/ decent components rapidly approaches the $1K mark.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:40 PM
BryFlyGuy67

ORIGINAL: darticus

Just make your own out of wooden dowels, CF tubes and such. The first set of gear I made was too weak, so I went to LHS and got a couple of sets of CF tube for the cross pieces. Each piece was 24" ong, so 2 of them make up the cross pieces. The center section I secured first with heavy duty twist ties. I then saturated the ties and joint with water, sook out the excess and applied a liberal coating of Gorilla glue. Now, I have two sets of cross members as I bounght 4 CF rods. At the end of one of the cross-pieces, I put ping pong balls and on tfhe other, I put nerf balls that I drilled out the center of. I secure the balls at the ends with plain old hot helt adhesive from the craft store.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:35 AM
cx2cp+

i called eflite about something else and asked about the 400 - the 400 is and has been ready, they're still waiting on the radio (he wouldn't say why) - it does indeed use the same freaking spindle shaft and technology of the cp pro, and he found no entry for training gear in the parts list they were given (he was also astounded)

edge
Old 11-14-2007, 10:43 AM
darticus

Thanks great info! Plan on making the training gear. Most people say almost the diameter of the blades would be right. Wish I could fly one of these things! I hover the pro all day but no forward flight. Someday! Its fun anyway.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:41 AM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Would any of you think that going from a simple heli like the CX2 to a 400 size heli would be wise?
I hear the larger helis are much more stable and better than the minis.
The CX2 is fun and now is very very easy to fly.
Im not looking for inverted flight just somthing better and possibly bigger.
Thanks.. Chuck.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:39 AM
FlyinLo

ORIGINAL: cx2cp+

i called eflite about something else and asked about the 400 - the 400 is and has been ready, they're still waiting on the radio (he wouldn't say why) - it does indeed use the same freaking spindle shaft and technology of the cp pro, and he found no entry for training gear in the parts list they were given (he was also astounded)

edge
They told you that the Blade 400 uses the same spindle as the Blade CP??
Old 11-15-2007, 02:59 AM
mrasmm

lol, that's gona be a deal breaker if I've ever heard one
Old 11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
BryFlyGuy67

ORIGINAL: teamchrome

Would any of you think that going from a simple heli like the CX2 to a 400 size heli would be wise?
I hear the larger helis are much more stable and better than the minis.
The CX2 is fun and now is very very easy to fly.
Im not looking for inverted flight just somthing better and possibly bigger.
Thanks.. Chuck.
That's what I did. I started with the CX2 and then built a TREX 450 V2. I just got her done last weekend, as a matter of fact! [8D] Now, I have 2 CX2's, a Walkera #4 and the 'REX. There are lots of folks here that started out the same way and now own larger Helis. I am pretty sure that Shufflez just got done building an HDX, which is comparable to a TREX.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:26 AM
BryFlyGuy67

I was going to buy one of these for Christmas, but I have now decided to either build another TREX V2, or perhaps a TREX 500.

Maybe on down the road I will look at the Blade 400 after it's been out for a while and they come out with an ARF version. I don't need the DX6i that comes with it and trying to sell it would be a major PITA.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:50 AM
darticus

Anyone know when the 400 will be out? Keeps being delayed!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:03 PM
rcmiket

Its a secret. Normal Horizon behavior. They take your pre order money then keep delaying or pushing back the release date. Sure glad I din't fall for this one. To all you that did hope its worth waiting for.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:32 PM
BryFlyGuy67

If they miss the Christmas window, I will be very surprised. I bet it's out by the end of November.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.