Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Eflite 3cell lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:03 PM
rsking45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eflite 3cell lipo?

Hay all,
I bought a 11.4v 3cell.I was checking the lipo with my meter .Black wire with red I get 12.17v Black & blue 7.92v black & yellow 3.88 v
Do these readings look good to you??????????????
Thanks all
Old 11-02-2007, 10:51 AM
FMB42

Default RE: Eflite 3cell lipo?

I'd check the voltages again (I'm sure you did this already) and then calculate the cell voltage totals.

I get the following from the figures that you posted;

12.17v - 7.92v = 4.24v

7.92v - 3.88v = 4.04v

3.88v = 3.88v

These figures are not good due to the fact that you have a .36v difference between the lowest and highest cell voltages. A difference of more then 0.1v between cells is not good and I recommend that you consider returning the battery due to safety concerns.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Kamov

yes..

your measuring 1 cell, 2 cell, 3 cell voltages by doing that if thats what you wanted or
you could measure 'each' cell and should be around/within the 3.88 volts per cell like the first cell voltage
you have if they are balanced.

any cell below 3.2 i think is bad but if you havent charged it[with a balance charger] and used it theres no way to really
tell as its not all about the voltage. its how it holds the voltage under a load.

fully charged/balanced they should be between 4.1~4.18 per cell...

the norm is to measure 'each' cell voltage.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:23 AM
mrasmm

yeah, I would agree with what they said

the 4.24v though is getting pretty high though, you really should only go to 4.2, above 4.3 there is damage. If you take 12.6, or the full voltage, and subtract what the pack has in it 12.17 you end up with .43 divided between 3 cells would give you about 0.14v additional, so if you charged that pack likely the reading you would get is

4.02, 4.16 and 4.36, and the last cell would almost certainly puff on you, might even do worse. So make sure to balance your pack before you charge that one =)
Old 11-03-2007, 06:01 PM
rsking45

I should be looking into a balancer/charger.I only have a eflite one that came with my cpp.Can you recemend a good gharger/balancer that can be used with the eflite batteries type plug ends???
Old 11-03-2007, 06:19 PM
mrasmm

the equinox balancer works with the stock ends, and you can hook that up to any charger with bananna clip ends, like the triton series or the ICE or something like that if you want a multi-perpose charger

If you want lipo only I would suggest looking at the cellpro 4s from www.fmadirect.com

alot of it really depends on your budget, the cellpro is the cheapest good way to go in a nice high quality charger.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:16 AM
rsking45

Will the cell pro charge 2 and 4 cell as well? I have the cx2 and soon to buy a trex 450. Would like a charger/balancer to work with 2 and 4 cell as well.
Thanks for the info guys.
Rich
Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 AM
mrasmm

yup, sure will =) 1 to 4 cells
Old 11-05-2007, 10:16 PM
bigbore

ORIGINAL: rsking45

I should be looking into a balancer/charger.I only have a eflite one that came with my cpp.Can you recemend a good gharger/balancer that can be used with the eflite batteries type plug ends???
The E-flite charger that comes with a CPP IS a balancing charger isn't it?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 AM
mrasmm

ORIGINAL: bigbore

The E-flite charger that comes with a CPP IS a balancing charger isn't it?
yeah it is, and it works great for a backup or field charger. I dunno how much I would use it for a main charger though. I like alot of info from a changer though on how batteries are doing though, so if you're not that much into info then it definately could work out.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:16 AM
rsking45

I use the eflite charger as a main charger.I have gone through alot of batteries using this charger.I am very carefull not to discharge the lipo,as soon as I notice that the heli is loosing power I shut it down, let the lipos cool and plug them in . I bought 2 lipos at the same time had thee same amount of flights and they both quit workijng at the same time.Also had 2 dn power do the same thing. I just bought e 11.4v 3 cell on 10-18 which it the battery in question, and already starting to get short f;ite times.
From the info that mrasmm gave me I am going to get the cell pro4s,but I do have one more ? for ya will the 12v supply cord that comes with the eflite gharger work with the cell pro????????
Thanks all
Old 11-06-2007, 07:03 PM
mrasmm

no prob =)

if you charge your packs at something like 0.5c it just might work, but you'll probably want something different. You can get cooler PSU's at walmart that will power it, RS has some, or you can do a conversion on a computer PSU that you have sitting around for basically nothing =)
Old 11-06-2007, 07:11 PM
USHobbySupply

I use the eflite charger as a main charger.I have gone through alot of batteries using this charger.I am very carefull not to discharge the lipo,as soon as I notice that the heli is loosing power I shut it down, let the lipos cool and plug them in . I bought 2 lipos at the same time had thee same amount of flights and they both quit workijng at the same time.Also had 2 dn power do the same thing. I just bought e 11.4v 3 cell on 10-18 which it the battery in question, and already starting to get short f;ite times.
From the info that mrasmm gave me I am going to get the cell pro4s,but I do have one more ? for ya will the 12v supply cord that comes with the eflite gharger work with the cell pro????????
Thanks all
Depends on what the 12v supply is rated for. It was designed to be as inexpensive as possible, so I bet it only puts out enough current to support the stock charger. Probably less than 1 amp. Look on the wall wart, it must be listed there (UL rules or something).

If you get a nice charger, you have to supply it good, clean voltage and current for it to do its job correctly. I would recommend a true power supply.

i have the converted computer power supply, works like a charm. Nice, clean, regulated 12v power, for very little $$

Michael
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 PM
rsking45

Convert a computer power supply??? How do you do that. Would hooking up the charger to a 12v battery to charge the lipo would that considered as clean voltage and current.
As you can tell I dont know squat about electronics.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:36 AM
mrasmm

yup, about as clean as you can get. You can also hook your car battery charger to the battery that is hooked to the charger, but you can't hook your RC charger straight to the automotive battery charger

here are the details on how to do that mod for the computer PSU
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5680951/tm.htm

if you look down a ways you can see some pics of the one I did

you can also check out http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm
that's the guide I followed when I made mine
Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 PM
bigbore

Convert a computer power supply??? How do you do that. Would hooking up the charger to a 12v battery to charge the lipo would that considered as clean voltage and current.
As you can tell I dont know squat about electronics.
Every computer power supply made in the last 10 years has a 4 wire "molex" connector. Just clip and strip the yellow wire and one of the black wires and you have cheap, conditioned 12 volt DC power.

Yellow +12V
Black Ground
Black Ground
Red +5V

Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2007, 07:52 AM
rsking45

Hay all,I received my cellpro ,read through the manual and still uclear about a few things.As long as its in the lipo mode it just plud in and let it do its thing and keep an eye on it. The 1st lipo i charged is the battery in question.You guys were right its was way out of balance,it took awhile to balance the pack but the cell are @ 4.2 4.2 4.19.The charger is doing its thing and charging the lipo @.50a, should I leave @ .5o or can that be increased?

The 2 cell lipo is charging now @.25a can this be increased? also when I pluged this battery in the charger went into safe charge.What does that mean.
Any thing else that I should be aware bout?
Thanks for all the help
Rich
Old 11-10-2007, 09:42 PM
bigbore

Deleted.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:40 AM
mrasmm

it'll slow down towards the end of a charge if that's what you are talking about. If that's not what you are talking about, then you may try calling FMA and see what they have to say about it. Good luck!