Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Rudder Trim Maxed

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 02:35 AM
flyinsolo11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder Trim Maxed

My rudder trim on the Blade CP Pro is maxed out to the right. What can I do to center it?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2007, 02:42 AM
mrasmm

Default RE: Rudder Trim Maxed

that's the proportional adjustment. Be sure you unplug the battery before adjusting it, and then move it just a little amount, like 1/16th of a turn or less. Arm the heli and test it out, as it comes into balance you'll need less trim and you can set it up just how it needs to be

if it's been centered most of the time, and just lately has needed more trim, then your tail motor is probably going out and needs replaced.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:44 AM
flyinsolo11

1/16th of a turn to the right?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2007, 02:51 AM
mrasmm

clockwise increases the tail motor speed and counter clockwise decreases the speed, so if you have your trim to the right (which should be increasing the tail motor speed), the proportional pot on the heli should go clockwise
Old 12-01-2007, 02:54 AM
flyinsolo11

Ohhh, understood.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:54 AM
AmirN
My Feedback: (18)

Yes, to the right is correct. Page 23 of the manual explains in detail about this process also. I've noticed when the tail trim starts to move, it could be the main motor needs to be replaced, or the tail motor, as mrassm pointed out. mrassam has been quite helpful in answering my questions when I started.

My tail motor is holding fine after 45 flights....that's about 9 hours. How many flights/hours should I expect from it?...My main motors seem to have good power for 20 flights then they'll drop in performance.

Amir
Old 12-01-2007, 02:58 AM
flyinsolo11

How do you know it is the motor and not the battery?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:06 AM
mrasmm

ORIGINAL: flyinsolo11

well as the battery goes down you'll need to adjust it, which might be up to 25 or 30% of 1 direction, so really about half of that. If you're new to flying, it's probably not your tail, if you've got a few hours on the heli, you'll get used to how the battery acts and know when something is different.

ORIGINAL: AmirN
mrassam has been quite helpful in answering my questions when I started.

My tail motor is holding fine after 45 flights....that's about 9 hours. How many flights/hours should I expect from it?...My main motors seem to have good power for 20 flights then they'll drop in performance.

Amir
sure, no prob, thanks =)

about your tail motor, it usually needs to be watched pretty close to the point you are getting to (I estimate about 1/2 of the main, which is usually about 20 hours from what I've seen, and it looks like you're getting close to the same #'s). Usually 10 to 20 hours for the single heat sunk motor on the 3s is pretty standard =) with 12 min flights (stock battery should give you 10 if you leave 20% in there), should give you about 50 flights or so up to 100 flights. If you've got 100 flights on it and it hasn't gone out, then I would just replace it. Some people just replace it once it gets to 10 hours so they don't crash. Also you can go with the double tail setup from mircoheli and then they should last about 40 hours or 200 flights on the higher end, probably atleast 30 hours. The stock tail from my heli runs about +80 to +100 over ambient with a heat sink (or two), and the dual tail with no heatsinks runs at +10 over ambient.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:15 AM
AmirN

ORIGINAL: flyinsolo11

I have 3 battery packs...I install the remaining packs, and if it still performs the same, I know it's not the packs. So far I've changed main motors and the problem goes away.

Amir
Old 12-01-2007, 03:20 AM
flyinsolo11

Gotcha, Amir

mrasmm- care to explain the "double tail motor" thing?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:28 AM
AmirN

mrassm, Thanks! I have a pair of tail motors, I'll just go ahead and replace this one. It's easier than picking up broken parts I do have the dual tail from micro heli, haven't installed it yet. Probably won't. A brushless on the main would be nice too, but I'm thinking of just getting the Blade 400, probably the best upgrade for the CPP.

My wife thought I was nuts playing with these little helis, but now my 2 1/2 year old son talks in his sleep and says "hepokookoo"...that's "helicopter" in baby language. And he says "up up and around" in his own language while sleeping. And it's not a one night thing, he's been doing it for a few weeks. I think he's hooked. He gets his share of right stick time moving swash plate for now....but honey, it's not for me, our kid wants this Blade 400 [sm=72_72.gif]

Amir
Old 12-01-2007, 03:33 AM
mrasmm

sure, here
http://www.microheli.com/mhshop/prod...roducts_id=333

then you just wire the motors up in parallel. it also helps to break them in, if you go up one forum I have a sticky there that explains how to it if you don't know =)
Old 12-01-2007, 03:35 AM
flyinsolo11

Haha, cute kid. =)
Old 12-01-2007, 03:36 AM
mrasmm

ORIGINAL: AmirN

mrassm, Thanks! I have a pair of tail motors, I'll just go ahead and replace this one. It's easier than picking up broken parts I do have the dual tail from micro heli, haven't installed it yet. Probably won't. A brushless on the main would be nice too, but I'm thinking of just getting the Blade 400, probably the best upgrade for the CPP.

My wife thought I was nuts playing with these little helis, but now my 2 1/2 year old son talks in his sleep and says "hepokookoo"...that's "helicopter" in baby language. And he says "up up and around" in his own language while sleeping. And it's not a one night thing, he's been doing it for a few weeks. I think he's hooked. He gets his share of right stick time moving swash plate for now....but honey, it's not for me, our kid wants this Blade 400 [sm=72_72.gif]

Amir

lol =) that's good!
Old 12-01-2007, 03:48 AM
AmirN

mrassm, what do you think of Align's 4 cell charger? It's around $50 and has a built in balancer.

Amir
Old 12-01-2007, 03:54 AM
mrasmm

it's alright, for just a few bucks more though I would go with the cellpro. It's definitely more of a charger and will probably run you about $10 to $20 more. There was a coupon that was good till the end of the month, but I forget what it was.... it let you get the charger for $60 or something like that. With either one you'll need an external PSU, like an old converted computer PSU. If you need the link for how to do that I can grab it for ya. There are a few pics of mine in there too =)

The cellpro is from www.fmadirect.com chan charge up to 4 cells at 4A, it auto balances, and auto detects size and charge rate, it also can graph info on the computer as well, plus it gives you information like how many mAh the batts took and how much voltage is in each cell =) well worth the extra few $ IMPO
Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 AM
flyinsolo11

Rudder is now almost centered perfectly- thanks for the help!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:14 PM
AmirN

flyingsolo11anckorageAlaskaUSAcppPilot, Are you hovering inverted yet???[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

mrassm....good info on the charger. Your suggestions make sense. Thanks!...it's sunny, 55 degrees and WINDY here. I guess I'll be "forum hovering".

Amir
Old 12-01-2007, 05:52 PM
flyinsolo11

Haha, no- gimme a couple of months, and I just may!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:46 AM
mrasmm

sure, no prob =)