Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade CX2 - Xtreme or AFCSystems 180 motor and battery questions

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade CX2 - Xtreme or AFCSystems 180 motor and battery questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:15 AM
puma1824

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade CX2 - Xtreme or AFCSystems 180 motor and battery questions

OK so I'm torn and confused about which motor to purchase as well as the best battery to be used with either motor for my CX2. I'd like to either go with:

AFC System 180 - Sold by BladeCX2.Com as the EXxTREME (AFC ) NEXT GENERATION motor

or

Xtreme 180 - Sold many places

Now which battery should I go with as well as which brand? Any other suggestions?

- 900mAH 10C
- 850mAH 15C

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:17 AM
stump3r

Default RE: Blade CX2 - Xtreme or AFCSystems 180 motor and battery questions

Well I have the Xtreme 180s and fly them with the DN Power 850mAh 15C's Great stuff. Really happy with the setup.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:24 AM
puma1824

ORIGINAL: stump3r

Well I have the Xtreme 180s and fly them with the DN Power 850mAh 15C's Great stuff. Really happy with the setup.
What is your average run/flight time with your setup? Do you have the silver brushes? Are you using the stock charger or other?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:29 AM
stump3r

ORIGINAL: puma1824

What is your average run/flight time with your setup? Do you have the silver brushes? Are you using the stock charger or other?

Thanks!
Stock Eflite charger, hovering, I can get 10 to 13 minutes, 13 on the first bat with everything cool, 10 on the second after letting her sit for at least 10 minutes.
Still running the stock brushes. I have the silvers but the stockers haven't wore out yet.
The only problem I have had with the DN's is one of them goes out of balance from time to time.
Other than that good gear.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Wolfpackin

10-13 minutes of flight time?
He must be a witch!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:56 AM
eat2muchrice

ORIGINAL: puma1824

OK so I'm torn and confused about which motor to purchase as well as the best battery to be used with either motor for my CX2. I'd like to either go with:

AFC System 180 - Sold by BladeCX2.Com as the EXxTREME (AFC ) NEXT GENERATION motor

or

Xtreme 180 - Sold many places

Now which battery should I go with as well as which brand? Any other suggestions?

- 900mAH 10C
- 850mAH 15C

Thanks in advance.
Well it seems that most everyone in here that have upgrades motors are running the xtreme 180s. I also run them with silver brushes and love it. I have never heard a review on the AFC and this is my first time seeing them. It would be great if you did a review on this forum .
I would go with a 15c+ battery
Old 02-10-2008, 02:28 AM
evdreamer

This is also my first time seeing the AFC motors. But I like the Xtreme motors with silver brushes and 15C batteries.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:50 AM
schreydog
My Feedback: (2)

I am still using the stock motors and haven't heard of the afc motors, but for puma8424, boomtown hobbies has the dn850 15c @3for55. I bought 3 of them, i don't see how you could get a much better battery for cx2. especially for that price. i am waiting for extreme 180S as i write this. also, the man who runs boomtown is very knowledgeable and willing to answer questions. i always call as I prefer talking to a person.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:23 PM
puma1824

ORIGINAL: schreydog

I am still using the stock motors and haven't heard of the afc motors, but for puma8424, boomtown hobbies has the dn850 15c @3for55. I bought 3 of them, i don't see how you could get a much better battery for cx2. especially for that price. i am waiting for extreme 180S as i write this. also, the man who runs boomtown is very knowledgeable and willing to answer questions. i always call as I prefer talking to a person.
I ended up purchasing the Xtreme 180, Silver brushes, 2 x 850mAH/15c, and DN G2 charger w/12v PS. Boomtown has been great. I placed an order, forgot to order a 12v power supply, called them on a Sunday and they answered! They changed my order with no problems.

So what's the "S" version have over the regular 180?

Thanks everyone for helping out. I decided on the Xtremes for two reasons;
1. Because the Xtreme 180 is a popular motor and I think I have better community support (at least for know while the AFCs are less known)
2. Boomtown had everything I wanted to purchase and could have shipped to me faster than the AFC (they're in Canada) BUT I do have to mention I'm completely satisfied with EXxtreme Core and blades I purchased from them.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:07 PM
FXR
Banned

Get the heat sinks for the 180s and make sure you have air flow. Check your brushes from time to time, when they wear out the helicopter will violently go into a full speed run where ever it wants to once the arm arcs on the copper armature. The three cell mod will be comming out shortly and will reduce heat, which is a problem out here in the desert. The X-treme 180s I have personally been very pleased with and will continue to run them. I have over heated a set and they lost their magnetizm so, once you run your motors through one battery, check to see if they are indeed overheating. With the heatsinks and making sure the sinks had airflow, no probs. Believe it or not, two cell runs create more heat than the three cell runs.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
FXR
Banned

I have run both the stock and silver brushes, can't really say if I like one over the other exept, the stock last longer. I have been running three cell for months and get 20 minute flight times, but I have to be very careful about giving the craft power, it is an estes rocket ready to turn into a dot in the sky... lol.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:12 PM
evdreamer

Is it cooler with the 3 cells because it doesn't need that much current for the same amount of work that the 2 cells do.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:40 PM
FXR
Banned

The way I understand it, higher voltage requires less amperage. It is the amperage going though the electrical circuit that causes the heat, also the resistance like when you slam the throttle on and the motors get all that power but have to pull those blades against the air to equil everything out. I am no expert but have seen all of this in action. I have also personally run a bunch of two cells, which I actually prefer do to it giving me a bit more control over the throttle. After I have been in the air for a while the three cells are a blast. There is one more thing that we are trying to figure out that is still bugging me, most of the time when I crash it is because of that damn nose drift. The three cell does aliviate this a bit due to it holding the voltage and amperage at a more constant rate. But it does not fix it entirely. I really would like that completely gone, then this thing would be pretty much perfect.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:54 PM
FXR
Banned

Ohh by the way.. DO NOT put a three cell on your stock helicopter, you will hurt the 4 in 1 controller. There is a modification that needs to be done. My pal is trying to figure out a way of telling everyone how to do this without messing up your system. It will happen, just give him time. He just refuses to put it out here, he got mad... lol.