Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Exactly how LOUD is a Blade 400 ???

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Exactly how LOUD is a Blade 400 ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:01 PM
H3li

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exactly how LOUD is a Blade 400 ???

Hi guys,

I am currently looking to upgrade from my CX2 coaxial heli to either a Blade 400 or E-Sky Belt CP. [8D]

What I would like some feedback on, is exactly how LOUD are these Helis (the Two stated above? - dB?).
There are lots of reviews and specs all over the internet, but no where do they discuss how loud these craft are.

I ask this as over here in the UK our rear gardens are not as large as your Football (SOCCER) pitch sized gardens over there in the States!
And i dont want to upset the neighbourhood with my R/C Helicopter flying! []

If anyone can provide further feedback it would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
Heli.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Wolfpackin

Default RE: Exactly how LOUD is a Blade 400 ???

The Blade 400 is pretty noisy when flown indoors but outside isn't that bad.
If nobody else comes up with some specific info by this weekend, I have a decibel meter at work and I'll get a reading for you.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:19 PM
evdreamer

It is a little louder than a CX2, but much quieter than a nitro helicopter. I fly my Belt CP in my backyard and no neighbors have complained about it yet. What might be quiet for me might be loud for you. It sounds like Wolfpackin's meter would be the best way to go for how loud it is.

Nick
Old 05-08-2008, 04:11 PM
soloboss

I trust you cut the grass in the back garden. IF you use a gasoline powered mower, the helis are both far quieter than that. If you use an electric powered mower, that's pretty close to the sound level. The sound is probably similar to a household vacuum cleaner - far louder indoors than outdoors. The frequency pitch of the heli is fairly neutral, neither high pitched and irritating nor low and menacing.
Does that help?

Oh yes, please note that there may be considerable racket in the event of a collision with metal trash cans and vehicles, or wind chimes and such.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:55 PM
H3li

Hi guys, i really do appreciate your feedback, it has been interesting reading.
I understand my question isn't your usual Blade 400 question, and I wasn't sure if there would be much feedback.

Well it's looking very positive, Wolfpackin, if you "could" come up with a realistic dB reading it would be greatly appreciated!
I should just think - stuff the neighbours, its my garden, I can do in it what I want !

evdreamer - a little louder than a CX2 sounds very promising - as i wouldnt call that Heli loud at all.
How does the Blade 400 compare to a Belt CP - which is quieter, have you flown both?

Thankyou also Soloboss for your feedback - we have an electric mower - used it just the other week!
The other thing, the Heli isnt going to be going out there for hours at a time, more or less, 30 minutes on a couple of batteries LOL.

I think im decided - I wont be worrying about making a racket, as the Heli isnt as loud as i might have imagined.
My final question would be - which to choose - Blade 400 or Belt CP - I love them both - but thats probably for me to do a little more research, and SEARCH these Boards

Thankyou all for your quick feedback - Im decided on the noise thing, just which to go for is next.............
Wolfpackin, if you do come back with a noise reading i look forward to hearing about it. [8D]

Over and out (for now), Heli. [8D] THIS IS SUCH A GREAT FORUM!!!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:52 PM
evdreamer

I haven't flown the B400, but I would love to get my hands on one and test it out and a few other helicopters out there. But I don't think my LHS would like that idea too much. By Belt CP doesn't have many stock parts left on it, but it does have a B400 tail pitch slider. I fly my CX inside so it is quite a bit louder than if you fly it outside. The Belt CP and B400 are about the same size. The major difference is the stock head and transmitter.

Nick
Old 05-08-2008, 09:30 PM
xyster101

If you can afford the Blade 400, the radio is worth the extra money. It will help you learn as you can set the sticks more like the CX handling as you learn.
I would say the 400 is not as loud as a vacuum, you can still talk to someone with it hovering. Little louder then the CX2. Start doing 3D with the 400 and the blades do make some noise, but again no louder then a car or vacuum.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Wolfpackin

H3li,

I just checked my night job schedule.
If I can get it done, it looks like Monday night for the dB reading.
I'll see what I can do for you.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Crusader23
My Feedback: (1)

My B400 is louder than the Belt CP. We flew those helis at the same time and the B400 is just louder. Actually pretty cool formation flying - about 3-4 rotordisks apart. I'll take pics later.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:59 AM
SeaComms

If your back garden isnt overly large then you wont be doing much flying with the 400 sized heli anyway. I have a reasonably large yard (almost 1/4 acre block - thats bout 1000 square metres) with a not so large house, and I am not too keen on doing anything more than hovering within a 15 foot square for fear of loosing control and hitting the fence or a tree in the back yard.

I am heading off to the local flying field tomorrow to test it out in 'real world' and see what I can do. Hopefully it will come back n less pieces than it usually does...
Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 PM
goldslinger

My Farts are louder.

Gary
Old 05-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Coyote64

Over here in the uk your neigbours will notice the noise from it, thats just typical uk residence, but really its minimal

Indoors seems much louder than out

Just a case of how sound your neigbours are really
Old 05-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Wolfpackin

So the data is in.
I'm not sure how accurate it is but here's what I got flying inside large maintenance shop.

Ambient=44-48dB
B400=78-82dB

The readings were taken from about 10-15 ft away, while the heli was on the ground at 80% throttle and zero pitch.
It get slightly louder as the pitch comes in.
Sorry, I was not able to fly and use the meter.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:02 AM
Crusader23

ORIGINAL: Wolfpackin

So the data is in.
I'm not sure how accurate it is but here's what I got flying inside large maintenance shop.

Ambient=44-48dB
B400=78-82dB

The readings were taken from about 10-15 ft away, while the heli was on the ground at 80% throttle and zero pitch.
It get slightly louder as the pitch comes in.
Sorry, I was not able to fly and use the meter.
i wonder how loud it would read if you had the decibel meter hooked up to the B400 while it was flying....hmm
Old 05-14-2008, 12:23 PM
ThinAir

Fly 3-D inverted close to the ground and tell the neighbors you're just cutting the grass. Get 2 things done at once, too.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:59 AM
H3li

Hi guys, cheers for ALL your replies - brightened up my day somewhat!

Wolf, many thanks for taking the time to get this dB data, very much appreciated.

This is what happens....
Last weekend I walk into my local hobby shop with £300 EXPECTING to possibly buy my upgrade to the CX2, the Blade 400 !

And, I walk out with.... A Thunder Tiger Mini Titan !!

This bird is just fantastic. A true 450 class electric Heli.
It is slightly larger than the 400, definately heavier, and just appears so much more TOUGH!

To me the 400 always appeared a little "fragile", however the Mini Titan fits the bill perfectly. Parts are also interchangeable with the TRex.

Also with a Raptor pedigree, Thunder Tiger have really hit the jackpot with this Heli. Check it out.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Wolfpackin

Good luck with your new heli.
I hope it brings you much enjoyment.

I always say it doesn't matter (to me) what heli you get as long as it feels right to you, and makes you happy.
I'm just sorry you won't be spending more time with us in the E-flite forum.

Have fun.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:21 AM
H3li

ORIGINAL: Wolfpackin

Good luck with your new heli.
I hope it brings you much enjoyment.

I always say it doesn't matter (to me) what heli you get as long as it feels right to you, and makes you happy.
I'm just sorry you won't be spending more time with us in the E-flite forum.

Have fun.
Wolfpackin, don't be dis-heartened , don't forget I still have my Blade CX2 !!
Therefore, I might now have upgraded to a larger Heli, but sorry guys, my CX2 will still keep me haunting these E-Flite forums.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:43 AM
ThinAir

You've made it over the biggest hurdle..deciding on which helicopter to buy. Now comes the fun part..learning how to fly it! Looks like a great choice. Glad to see you'll still be haunting us. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:26 PM
H3li

ORIGINAL: ThinAir

You've made it over the biggest hurdle..deciding on which helicopter to buy. Now comes the fun part..learning how to fly it! Looks like a great choice. Glad to see you'll still be haunting us. Keep us posted on your progress.
Hi ThinAir, thankyou for your kind words. Yes, well originally torn between the Belt CP and Blade 400.
But visiting my local hobby store, the Mini Titan does appear to be the most superior - build quality and overall value, effectively an electric Raptor!
(I do know that this is my perspective and obviously other guys might have different views).

To be honest, my first test spooling up my Mini Titan didnt go to plan !!!
Started spooling her up, slight wobble. Came off the throttle. Tried again, upto around 50% then a major wobble/vibration and she tipped over !!
I've ONLY broken a Mixing arm (thankfully), as a Blade struck the ground - apart from that no problems at all !

Turns out I might have had my rotor blades too tight !! As they were not able to naturally straighten out with centrifugal (sp) force, and so the bird became unstable!
To be honest, i was never sure how tight to do up the rotor blades... Now I know, obviously NOT as tight as I had them!

Also bought training gear, more to help with my confidence really, when taking off! Will report back. Cheers.

Main Chassis + Canopy right out of the box (ARTF) :
Old 05-15-2008, 11:08 PM
evdreamer

You can start by having the blades loose then tip the helicopter over. If they fall by themselves it is too loose. Then just keep tightening it a little bit more until it doesn't fall by itself. Then give the helicopter a little shake. If the blades move after that then the tightness is fine. I don't do that anymore. I just go by feel now.

Nick
Old 05-16-2008, 06:28 AM
H3li

Evdreamer, thats a great tip. Will use that technique this evening/this weekend when I attempt my next Spool Up...........
I also have my parts for my training gear, again just to aid my confidence in the first few hops/initial battery.

This weekend will be crucial - I will either come back with reports on a great flight and a Heli thats fully intact, or further delays as I've broken more parts!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Crusader23

That's a nice looking heli. Good luck and welcome to the CCPM fun
Old 05-16-2008, 03:24 PM
evdreamer

Let us know how the mini titan handles. I am always curious on how well other helicopters fly.

Nick