Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Lost tail rotor authority

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Lost tail rotor authority

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:39 AM
youngpilot
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost tail rotor authority

I have a blade cp that I bought from some one not long ago. I have gotten to where i can fly it decently but I am starting to have a problem. I noticed when I am flying it around and then start adding throttle to bring it back in a hover it started to lose tail rotor authority and spin. usually this happened when the battery was starting to get weak. however, now with a fresh battery right off the bat i have to hold the tail rotor almost full right just to keep it from spinning in a hover. im wondering if it is the motor wearing out? If so what should I do?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:26 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Lost tail rotor authority

Try checking the rubber piece that holds the tail blade on the shaft, sometimes that will come loose after a tail blade strike on less than perfect landings. Next, try adjusting the tail to main motor adjustment on the 4-N-1 to compensate for the spin. Lastly, some adjustment to the gyro gain may be needed. Only do minor adjustments and do one at a time between flights. Also, do you have the instruction manual for the CP, it could help in explaining the adjustments to the motor mixing and gyro gain. If after all fails, your tail motor could be going and that will require you to replace it. Hope this helps,

Mark
Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 AM
rotarydoc

Hey youngpilot,

Excellent response by aframomum.

In my experience, you probably have a worn out tail motor, since they are very prone to premature failure..they slowly get weak, and then die...

It's the #1 issue with the CP, CP Pros...

Mine would usually last about 25-30 flights or so...

It will be like new if it's the motor, when you replace it.

There are alternatives (longer lasting motors) out there, called a GWS direct drive conversion, not too expensive, but requires some mods to the heli to install...I have had much better results with those than the stock motors...

If you need more info, don't hesitate to ask...

Hope that helps....

Glenn

Old 01-30-2009, 01:05 PM
youngpilot
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks guys, I think it is the motor about to die. I dont know how many flights the ting has on it but i have put at least 30 on it and there is no telling how much the previous owner put on it. maybe while im at it ill go brushless!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Replacing the tail motor is the fastest and cheapest way to get you back in the air - just use your soldering iron to remove the old motor, solder on the new one, and off you go!

If you are wanting to keep the CP for a while and are not ready to commit the expense of a larger and more stable heli right now, two good upgrades would be the brushless upgrade coupled with a better gyro for the tail.

One of the most frustrating things is the CP's tail is way to unstable no matter how much adjustment you make to the onboard gyro. Trying to do simple oval patterns, figure 8's, and nose in hover keeps you on the rudder stick quite a bit, not to mention trying loops and rolls you'll see that tail will get really to be a handful to control. Not saying it can't be done but when I got my TRex with a decent separate gyro, I realized what tail control meant.

Good luck and practice, practice, practice!!

Mark